fiduciary

Author Topic: My unprofessional, but honest review of the 2005 Luke ROTJ vs 2005 Anakin ROTS  (Read 15739 times)

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
Well, so far I only have two sabers, the 2005 Luke ROTJ and the 2005 Anakin ROTS, but as you can see in my sig, I have more coming.  ;)

The hilt :

As far as looks, I have to give the edge to the Anakin. It just has more going on in the appearance department. However, the Luke's aluminum construction has the edge in the materials department.

Now as far as handling, I must give the edge to the Luke ROTJ. It being simpler may not give it the edge in the looks department, but it's simplicity most certainly allows for better handling when it comes to being able to do spins and such. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't  have any problems choosing the Anakin to go into a duel with.  ;)

The Luke ROTJ is just too darn light, IMO. While some argue that it makes it more real, I say that a light-saber handle should have some weight for realism. It does however, make it a slightly faster swinging saber, but I am plenty strong enough to handle either one one-handed, so for me, this is a non-issue.

Perceived construction :

I have to give the edge to the Anakin, as it's weight makes it seem to me that it is more robust and might handle a duel better than the Luke, though in reality, both saber's blades seem to be equally strong when it comes to being securely fastened to the hilt. So for me, it's more perceived than actual fact, IMO.

The blade :

Both are bright, but the Luke seems to be "silly bright".  :o (I nearly went blind the first time I ignited it in a dark room after putting fresh Energizer Max's in it!)

Even though the Luke ROTJ seems brighter, with the Energizers, it doesn't seem to have any more dark spots in the blade than the Anakin. I still give a slight edge to the Luke, because the blue of the Anakin's just doesn't seem right to me. The Luke is so bright, it almost seems real in a dark room.

The Sounds :

In the loudness department, both are equally loud, period.

But as has been mentioned often, the "pitch" is different. I prefer the "pitch" of the Anakin to the Luke. It sounds more like a light-saber should in the power-up and power down sound effects.

In the end, I honestly don't prefer one over the other, as both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Sorry that I don't have pics, but I don't have a digital camera yet, and besides, there are plenty of pics in the other reviews anyways, lol. :D

-Kyp

« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 07:33:26 PM by Kyp Duron »

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
The Luke ROTJ needs a cosmetic upgrade that we will be offering in the store soon ;)

xwingband

Decent review... but oh man, it's Anakin, not Anikan.

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
Decent review... but oh man, it's Anakin, not Anikan.

:o OOPS!!!

It's changed now, lol.  :D

10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
I hate it when people miss-spell Anakin.

Nothing Is Impossible

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
The Luke ROTJ needs a cosmetic upgrade that we will be offering in the store soon ;)

Don't tease me, man! Out with it!  :o ;D

Quote from: Dark Skywalker
I hate it when people miss-spell Anakin.

Not half as much as I hated being one of them!  :'( :P
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 07:41:55 PM by Kyp Duron »

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
Don't feel bad Kyp. ;)

Nothing Is Impossible

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
Sorry Guys I was sending a message :D

I let the cat out of the bag here...

Anyways I will have Picts up sometime this week. What I will tell you right now is that my kit will be
around $10.00 and it will cover all that UGLY brown painted surface with the actual a mirror finished
Copper Color and make it look Metal and Shiny Like it should be 8)

I've got the Kits all Die-Cut up already and are "sized perfectly" to fit both the Emitter and to wrap the
control box parts and even the circut board. I've Included extra if you mess up even.

It is very easy to apply and will Hold up extremely well if applied properly...
(that means cleans hands and minimal touching of the adhesive backing of the material)

Believe me it does wonders for the look of this saber... 8)

Just imagine if the UGLY brown/orange color was a shiny copper and you'll know what I mean ;)

I need to get a small instruction sheet together and once I do I'll post the picts so everyone can see
and it's ready to sell...
I'll make a Special post just for it in our news and announcements!

MTFBWY
always
YODA

xwingband

So what in the world is it made of???  Sounds like a film?

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
It's a Metalic type of film, on a plastic Base Layer so it's more durable than a typical Foil like film.
It's basically a mirrored finished vinyl.

I'd used it years before on other projects but couldn't find it for a long time.
I searched and searched untill I found the last people that carried this stuff cause I knew how good
it would look and it would hold up well... luckily I tracked down the last makers of this particular
copper color and will be using it for the upgrades :)

Offline ani104

• Master Force User
Looking foward to this  ;), when Master Yoda does something to customise a saber its usually a HUGE improvment  ;)

When will we get to see it  ???

Offline registrau

• Experienced Force User
  • ...in a galaxy far, far away
I'm looking forward to see some pictures of that improvement Yoda!

Offline PLO KOON

• formerly known as s3an_looi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
Yes.. looking forward to it! :)

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By

Kyp... Where did you get the Luke ESB from?  Been looking for one myself....

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10

Kyp... Where did you get the Luke ESB from?  Been looking for one myself....
On Ebay, but if you look in the for sale section on this site, you will see someone has one for sale.  ;)

retrousse