fiduciary

Author Topic: Caden's MR ROTJ Luke (2005) Review (NIB saber)  (Read 5867 times)

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
Caden's MR ROTJ Luke (2005) Review (NIB saber)
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »
I ordered this saber from a Borders in Florida this summer. It was a Christmas present, and I opened it tonight. A member here posted a link, and i ordered on that day. They had more... but there got this recession thing going on. ;D

Pros

- Sturdy hilt, good balance
- Factory green blade with scroll effect
- Should have a long run life
- Looks good on the stand next to Thor's Hammer 8)

Cons

- Ugly brown neck
- Six AA batteries
- LEDs do not diffuse evenly (Bright bars on the blade)
- green and red arrows do not light up

This hilt is well weighted. The balance point with batteries in it is about even with the edge of the emitter. It feels really light in my hand, but in reality it weighs a couple pounds. It is much sturdier feeling than MY ANH Luke. The thick neck does not bother me. It's big and obscene, but it's a toy, not a limited collectible. The only issues i have with this hilt are the red and green arrows on the activation box not lighting up, and the ugly brown paint on the neck. Unfortunately I noticed very fine scratch marks on the hilt, almost like scuffs on the machined looking finish. ??? ??? :P Eh, it'll be beat up by the time I'm done with it anyways.

The sounds are loud and crisp, and there is no audible loop in the play. It, like all other ROTJ Lukes, is very sensitive to motion. (I thought it was just Thor's Hammer.) ;D

The blade is very bright. As bright as my P4 ot my eyes. It has the nice scroll effect which seems to be very smooth to me. In a well lit room the blade is almost a lime green, which is pretty cool. The only gripe I have about this blade is the stinking diffuser sucking. It fits the blade great and doesn't move like My ANH blade, but I guess due to LEDs intensity, the diffuser just doesn't work all that great. The result is bright bars across the saber's blade in the dark. MY ANH (Though the best MR in terms of evenness) suffered the same problem, as i would expect most component blades to.

Pics-

This saber was brand new, in the box and had never been opened.

Unveiled

After scrounging up another Rayovac from my ANH, I lit this sucker UP!

Tan Carpet time! (Similar to GG's Black Mat.) ;D ;)

Non functional Arrows (black box is the switch)

The tip is clear. My ANH tip is a bubbled opque version of the tip. I like this better.

Overall, it's a nice saber. An easy 9/10. I knew the flaws when I bought it, but it's more than I actually expected. It is a well ersrving piece that shall be played with and possibly converted in the future.

- Caden

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
Re: Caden's MR ROTJ Luke (2005) Review (NIB saber)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »
Nice review, Caden.  I'm in the same boat as you; the Luke ROTJ is a good saber, despite the ugly brown neck.  (But hey, there's no ugly little maroon button.) It's not my favorite, but it is a quality saber, loud, clear, and bright.  Fun?  Yes, oh yes.  Accurate?  Perhaps not, but then again, I'm not sure I care. 

Again, nice review.

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 09:43:23 PM »
Accurate?  Perhaps not, but then again, I'm not sure I care. 

Again, nice review.

Good point, Jm419.  It's the same reason I "kinda" like the Dooku.  Absolutely not accurate, but still a good saber. 

Great review, Caden and congrats on the purchase. These are great when polished up and adorned with gold tape to hid that nasty brown (sorriest excuse for brass.....EVER!)  Sort of like this one... 

Compare the emitters...

More pics here....  http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=19882.0

5wLEDengin BTW  ;)
lol at "grey carpet time"
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 09:45:22 PM by Master Jedye »

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline The Highwayman

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 08:06:25 AM »
"Tan Carpet" Casey... :D :D ;D ;D

Yes... I'm glad there no little maroon button. I seem to remeber a conversation with someone around here on that subject Jm...  ;D ;) ;)

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 08:20:28 AM »
Lol.  With someone...I don't remember who...

Jedye, I seem to remember some kits for that tape conversion floating around.  Do you happen to have any?  I'd be interested in picking one up if you had one.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 08:22:00 AM by Jm419 »

Offline The Highwayman

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 02:23:54 PM »
Those kits were discontinued a couple years ago IIRC. They were pre-cut copper tape. If you were ot buy a roll of tape, you could cut and then cover whatever you wanted in copper.

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 04:02:34 PM »
I've always liked the ROTJ lightsaber. Have any fancy plans for it in the future?

Oh, and if you ever want to get it converted, I'd recommend a Lux 3 bin 2 green LED.... I have one, and its a VERY ROTJ-ey Color. You may want to see if you can get your hands on one if you get a chance, before they are discontinued.

Offline The Highwayman

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 06:07:34 PM »
No real plans. I aim to keep it stock until I wear it out. Then I might mod/upgrade it some. If for soem reason it gets converted soon, I'm thinking Amber or Cyan... :D :D

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 08:06:15 AM »
Mmmmm amber is always a fun option.... Plus it'd look great with a luke ROTJ...

Offline The Highwayman

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
Well, after actually getting to go outside and spin it in the dark... wow... it's comfortable for a two handed hold towards the front and fits great in the palm as a single handed grip. Overall, I'm more impressed than I was when I first saw it. It's bright, loud, and does excellent when spun. As for keeping it pristine... forget that! It's almost a crime, but she's gonna get played with!

I'd recommend picking one up if you ever get the chance.

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 09:46:16 PM »
Great review, Caden. 8)

I would definitely do something about that neck and see if you can't get some blinkies for those arrows...
...all in due time, of course (i.e., after playing with it for a good, long while :D).

Offline ForceFXFreak

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »
AAAAWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--(UltraFX)

--(UltraFX)

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »
Gee, I keep seeing more and more zombies the closer I get to Halloween...

retrousse