fiduciary

Author Topic: Jedi Yar-Nala's Art  (Read 33894 times)

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
Re: Jedi Yar-Nala's Art
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »
Thanks Sethski.

I guess the Gulliver's illustrations are some of my favorites.

In terms of the different body types and poses, I try really hard trying the ones that work best for the subject matter. In addtion millions of hours watching naked people really helped. (Seriously, logged in millions of hours doing Figure Drawing back in college, saw more nude models, than a regular at an adult entertainment bar.... :))

Knowing what I do, and what I wanted to learn... I spent not only a lot of times getting the human figure right, but learning anatomy as well, cuz when you do cartooning or animation, the only way to properly do it is if you know what the source material was exaggerated from....

As far as SIGs go.... this could be something I'd consider... especially since it deals with Star Wars themes. :)

Offline Jedi-relik

• Padawan Learner
  • Slightly better aim than a Stormtrooper
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »
I would like to see the pencils for the Grail piece, have you done any comic work? Whilce is actually one of my favorite artists and part of the reason I started getting into comics ( him and Jim Lee on their X-Men stuff) I actually in recent years have gotten to become friends with him and his wife Jo.

Soon to be a reality!

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »
Thanks Jedi-relik.

Wow.... that Grail piece was rendered, if you can believe this.... about 12 years ago. The pencils have long been gone, and only the digital file remains :(

Haven't done comics, but I started my art career by reading and trying to copy artists styles since I was 7...

And yes, Whilce and Jim are two of my inspirations... (though as of late, I've developed my own style).

Offline Jedi-relik

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 02:29:27 PM »
Very cool, I think that Jim and Whilce inspired alot of people to try their hand at art (myself included). Too bad about the pencils, I would have loved to see them and show them off to Whilce. He loves finding and refining talent in people.

Soon to be a reality!

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 07:10:54 PM »
wow... too bad... though my pencils are so much better than that, from many years ago.... 

If you're ever at his place or someplace with internet access and a laptop... you can show him my posts from here, or... go to my online portfolio,
www.creativeshake.com/apuadaarts.

On this site, though.... you'll see more recent stuff.

PM me if you're also on facebook. That has even more stuff.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:40:58 AM by Jedi Yar Nala »

Offline Jedi-relik

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 07:25:30 PM »
Link wasn't working :( I'm not on facebook or myspace but if you want to pm me a link that'd be cool. I may or may not be going to San Diego this year, not sure but he's in town (phoenix) every so often because he is now on Spawn, so the next time I see him I may be able to show him a few things. 
I'm going to post a few of my drawings (strictly pencils, haven't gotten into digital renderings) let me know what you think, and maybe we can also collaberate on some stuff

Soon to be a reality!

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 12:47:33 AM »
Sorry about that... the host company was bought out... The new link was modified.

Definitely would love to see your art/pencils whenever you can post it.

Time for collaborations is really limited as of late since I've been busy with my first child due any day now, my jobs (posted in the "what do you do for a job?" thread:

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=14701.90

The recent commissions (so far non SW related) have been sucking up my time, but God can change things any day now with a baby. Please, though... put up your stuff.... awesome people on this forum, especially for feedback

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 12:56:09 AM »
As for the new stuff.... here is one I did for someone's nephew.... He's a huge Spider-Man fan... A pretty hard commission since Spider-Man, like Venom, has a mask on.

Only solution..... have him holding his mask while in costume. Plus....why not have him hanging off a sky scraper?

This was a more multimedia piece, with stock footage of NYC, pencils, ink, and Photoshop. I even tried to throw in that weird scaly thing on the movie costume. The overall image had the yellow filtered treatment of the movie posters.

I try to do everything freehand, but some projects (and time constraints) take me another route. Overall, the piece turned out pretty good, and his nephew was floored by it (every kid wants to be their favorite hero.... I just provide a service that does just that). :)

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/JediYarNala/DeuceSmall.jpg[/img]]

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/JediYarNala/SpiderDeucesmall.jpg[/img]]

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 01:02:33 AM »
Here is the newest one  I finished yesterday....

This client's nephew (interesting how a lot of people's nephews have been the subject of my commissions... they do make great gifts cuz you can't buy this in any store...) wanted to be IRON MAN.

Now the interesting thing abou this 4 year old, is that all day long he runs everywhere saying just that...

"I AM IRON MAN!!!"

So my client wanted a piece that reflected that....

Here's what I'm giving him for his nephew.... (one of my favorite of the recent pieces I've done).

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/JediYarNala/Gabrielsmall.jpg[/img]]

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/JediYarNala/IronManGabreilsmall.jpg[/img]]

Multimedia... 95% pencils and digital rendering on Photoshop... some stock footage used for metalic textures on one part.

Offline Jedi-relik

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 01:38:58 AM »
Those are awesome! My son (3yrs old) is in love with the movie cars right now he thinks he is lightning mcqueen or as he calls hims cachow. Kids do change a lot but make sure you keep your passions alive and impart all your knowldege on them, so that they can someday use it to their abilities. I don't have a scanner right now (oldie is broken) but will take some hi res pics and post them for the time being.

Soon to be a reality!

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 12:07:41 PM »
Yeah... kids are great (have 3 nephews 4 nieces myself). Imagination is great, as well as aspiring to be something is something I see not only with in the kids in my family but in all families... which is why it's fun to do these pieces and allow these kids to visually see themselves as something they like or heroes they pretend to be (for that matter, the adults are liking them too... )

I'm sure your son will have other characters he'll be into as years go by (hoping they are jedi are other SW characters as well).

Can't wait to see your pics when you put them up (just start up a thread like I did, you'll get great feedback too).

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2009, 10:04:38 PM »
Ok.... so a new son (as of today 26 days old...) it's been hard trying to finish up some commission work...but I've done a couple (had to slow down to be a dad too...).

First up....

Jordan Lightyear.... she wanted her grandson (turning 6 next month) to be done up as Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. He was dressed up like that for Halloween last year.

Here it is...

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/JediYarNala/Jordan%20Lightyear/Jordan1small.jpg[/img]]

And he turned into...

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/JediYarNala/Jordan%20Lightyear/JordanLightyear8x10colorwithlensfla.jpg[/img]]

I actually had to look up reference for Star Command from the cartoon show to put it in there.
Again... a multimedia piece with pencils and colors by me with stock photos from the Hubble Telescope. :)

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2009, 10:11:16 PM »
Here is one more...

This person has a couple of commission pieces I'm doing for him... he's having his basement done up like his "man cave" and wanted personalized pics done of himself in different genres...

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/JediYarNala/Terry%20heroes/Terrysmall.jpg[/img]]

First up.... he wanted to be Superman.... I gave him this....
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/JediYarNala/Terry%20heroes/TerrySuperman8x10small.jpg[/img]]
Went multimedia on this... and looked up stock pics of Metropolis for the backdrop so he can really be flying over Metropolis... pencils/ink colors... me.

Next he wanted to be a Samurai, since he is a martial artist himself. This is what he got...
http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt182/JediYarNala/Terry%20heroes/TerrySamuraismall.jpg[/img]]
Different approach on this one. Wanted to give it a more simple look artistically, so no crazy cross-hatching. More of an ink wash approach. The Japanese character at the bottom stands for "honor."

Hope you enjoy.

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2009, 10:46:01 PM »
 :o You are very talented Master Yar-Nala. ;) ;)

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »
Thank you very much yourself Master Wookiecrisp :)

retrousse