fiduciary

Author Topic: Aayla's Anakin ROTS Review  (Read 13274 times)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Aayla's Anakin ROTS Review
« on: December 05, 2005, 12:00:15 PM »
This is my first review on this forum.  :D

When a good friend of mine mentioned that he had gotten the Luke ESB saber in late 2004, I was envious. I had seen pictures and videos on the internet of the Luke ESB, Vader ANH, and Mace Windu AOTC lightsabers. I wanted one, but it was out of my price range. As a college student without a job, obtaining one wasn't feasible. I then emailed a link of the Luke ESB saber to my mom, in hopes she might want to order it for my upcoming birthday. Sure enough, it didn't work.  :P One year later, I'm the proud owner of four Force FX lightsabers, with another on the way (hehe, sounds like I'm talking about pregnancy  :D ). I got my own Anakin ROTS from Borders back in April, just as they were becoming very popular. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.  ;D So without further adieu, my personal review on the ROTS Anakin Skywalker lightsaber, by Master Replicas.

First up, the hilt. One of the most important things to me is always the hilt. It should closely resemble that of which was seen on-screen. In this case, the Anakin ROTS is about as close as MR has gotten. The hilt is authentic, and the size is just perfect for carrying around and dueling with. ;) The weight, although light, makes this saber easy to swing around. It also doesn't tire out your hands. The detail put into this saber was very well done. My only real gripe about it is how the gold and copper paint rubs off so easily. I know for a fact that mine was much shinier when I first got it, so it may be possible to polish it up and get that pretty sparkly look back. :) The saber itself isn't bad for dueling, but outside of Star Wars, it isn't the ideal hilt for having a fight with.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1132.jpg

The blade of the Anakin ROTS is great. It's very vibrant, and although I don't have a Luke ESB to compare it to (I will within the next week), I understand that they're pretty much the same in brightness. While I personally think the Luke ROTJ re-issue is brighter than the Anakin ROTS, the Anakin saber is probably my favorite one I own. Aside from the dark spot in the middle of the blade, it is very consistent in its blue coloring... much more so than the Mace ROTS and Luke ROTJ lightsabers. When I got it, I had just gotten into Force FX sabers. I didn't know that the dark spot was normal, so I ended up returning my Anakin saber and exchanged it. Sure enough, it was still there.  :) On a cold night, the blade is considerably brighter than it is on a warm one. I highly recommend that everyone try it (as well as the other sabers) on a cold night. ;) Other than that, I'm really only a bit disappointed that the blade is as loose as it is. I'm not certain that it's always been that way, but it is more loose than my other FX's. At least it's still in place, though. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1135.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/000_1006.jpg

In May when ROTS was released, I took my Anakin saber along with me to a showing on release night. There were many people... many children. Many of them had Hasbro's basic lightsabers and electronic lightsabers. However, I was the only one with a Force FX saber. ;) Needless to say, I was the most popular person there. Many kids would shout at me to turn it on, and when I did, they would applaud me. It was a great night and my favorite Star Wars viewing experience at a theater.  :D

Stay tuned for my Vader ESB review, coming soon. ;)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:15:09 PM by Aayla Secura »
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
Re: My Anakin ROTS Review
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 12:15:19 PM »
Excellent review, Aayla.  This is still my favorite FX, and I wouldn't worry about the wobbly blade.  You are right about the saber when its cold.  I think it has to do with the blade still being room temp, it makes an aura around the blade.  Welcome to the Forum! :)
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 12:20:14 PM »
Hello Aayla

A good write up you have... Your first step on your way to becoming a Jedi ;)
We always appreciated hearing what everyone likes about their Lightsabers

The blade is Held in by two metal pins so the slight wobble isn't an issue...
It's held in very well and you'd have to try and destroy it to break it.
Go to the Data sheets and see the "Anakin ROTS exploded view" to see all the interior
parts of these sabers.

As far as the gold accents go, they do rub off more easily than most of us would like ::)
but there is a soloution for it...

3M Sign vinyl (available at SignShops)
Can be used to cover the gold portions, but you'll have to get used to doing some
detailed cutting with an exacto knife...
If you look in the Questions and Comments Topic and Find My "Yoda Prototype MR conversion"
You will see where I have use Bronze Sign vinyl to change the color of my switch on the control box.
The vinyl is non fading and replaceable.

However most of us have a Saber for Duelling and our "collections" that hang on the wall ;)
If you choose to make one your "duelling" saber do be sure and read through the Articles
and the tutorial called "How to properly duel with your FX- Lightsaber"

There is all the info you'll need to know about Blade strength etc in there...
Also if you are in-to sword fighting a-lot then you may even in time consider
getting the Saber you use for duelling most, converted to a Luxeon by thecustomsabershop.com

But wait until you feel you really need to "replace" the blade due to scratches or blown LEDs
At that time you may even want to look into having it shaped to Look like Aayla's Saber...

MTFBWY
always
YODA
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 12:22:37 PM by Yoda »

Offline darthclueless

• formerly known as darthclueless
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 01:11:09 PM »
Great review 8)

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 12:20:35 AM »
Very nice work aayla,

I love my anakin ROTS too.

when you say your luke ROTJ has blade incosistency what batteries are you using? mine is insanely bright, with no incosistency at all.

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 04:11:58 AM »
Excellent review Aayla. I always love when someone puts some effort in writing reviews, I really appreciate  ;). I like my Anakin ROTS, but I would like it even more if it were the "new metal one".Nice pics also  :)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 11:31:28 AM »
Thank you, everybody.  :D

Han... I use Duracell Digital batteries in all my FX's. I'm not sure how good they are for an FX, but I figure since they keep digital cameras running longer they may last longer in an FX saber. It's not that the color on my Luke ROTJ is really inconsistent... it's a beautiful bright green color, it's just that some of the LEDs are more noticeable than others. I thought this was pretty typical with most FX sabers. ;)

Thank you, Hamill. I've been hearing about this ROTS Anakin you mentioned with more metal parts. Frankly, I have no idea what that would mean. My FX seems to be made of metal in every place except for the graflex and the blade... and maybe the on/off switch, too. Does anyone have more info on this? :)

Thanks for the tip, Yoda. I'll certainly look into getting some of those vinyl pieces. I don't really duel with my sabers. I tried very light dueling once with my brother, but after that I didn't do it anymore. I like them too much to jeapordize them. :) And I can't afford more than one of each saber. So... having one of my sabers converted into Aayla's saber would totally rock.  ;D I think it would probably have to be the Obi-Wan ROTS saber, though. None of the other ones are as close to what hers looks like. But I wouldn't do that until I had a spare of whatever saber I decided to have converted. ;)

Thanks, Malak. Interesting theory on why the FX is brighter in the cold. While 30 degree weather isn't an ideal time to be outside, having an FX saber by your side totally makes it worth it. I think it may also have to do with cold air being clearer and dryer, which it usually is. Now if only I knew what it was like to take an FX out in the fog.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 02:19:58 PM by Aayla Secura »
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 02:45:55 PM »
I agree with her about the ROTJ Luke there are some spots where the green turns a little yellow, I can get over it with the right batteries but still its not a solid green
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 12:20:08 AM »
HHHMMMM i must be very lucky indeed then, because mine is a wicked solid green. 

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 12:29:28 AM »
HHHMMMM i must be very lucky indeed then, because mine is a wicked solid green. 

Two of these Lukes I have... one is solid and uniform in color
the other hmmmmm not so much :D

the brightness of the LEDs them selves is being routed through a small chip on the strip next
to each LED.
I believe this has somethng to do with the un even-ness in the color consistency of the bulbs
as I have one of our Anakin's that all of it is one even color except this one "brighter" LED and
though it's irritating... back up my point entirely, this will be an unfortunate inherent trait of
building them this way ::)

Oh well nothings perfect :D

always
YODA

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 06:05:37 PM »
A really Awesome Review, Aayla
The more I read of the Anakin ROTS reviews the more I am swayed to getting this saber.   Funny that I don't have this FFX considering my username? haha.   Anyway, im going to check out your vader review right now.   Can't wait till you get your TESB Luke and are able to give your impressions of that wonderful saber. 

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 08:04:53 PM »
Funny that I don't have this FFX considering my username? haha.

Thank you, Ani. :) I was actually wondering that about your username today.  :P

You really should get it, though. It's a great saber. I should have my Luke ESB tomorrow if all goes as planned. I specified two day shipping, though the weather is quite frightful out! 24 degrees right now, which is almost unheard of in South Texas. There's lots of ice. So yeah, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 12:10:27 AM by Aayla Secura »
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Darth Eunice

• SAVANT TOGRUTA, SAGE OF YORE
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 08:10:51 PM »
nice review and pictures!
the anakin RotS is the only fx-saber i have
it's awesome!! ;D
May the Force be with you! :D

Offline The Apprentice

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 08:24:24 PM »
Totally agree, Aayla! It's reviews like this that made me buy it in the first place and I haven't regretted it.

Offline Mr.Griffin

• Master Force User
  • mmmmm... Star Wars
    • Family Guy Stuff
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 12:06:12 PM »
Bravo Aayla, I love to read about how children love to see an FX
{[][][][]--{}================

(((FORMALLY MR.GRIFFIN)))

retrousse