fiduciary

Author Topic: SSC P7 - Freakishly Bright LED!!!  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Delmustator

• BLADE RUNNER
  • Master Force User
    • ButtryNET
SSC P7 - Freakishly Bright LED!!!
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:05:18 PM »
Always in search of a brighter torch and specifically saber LEDs the KICK rump roast. I ordered an Aurora AK-P7-5 torch ( $37 shipped | SKU 15739 ) from DealExtreme.com. This torch sports a Z-Power LED P7 series array in a single LED package providing the world highest brightness of 900 lumens and the efficacy of 90 lumens per watt to replace the conventional bulbs (so Seoul Semicondutor claims).

And it runs on a single 18650 Li-on battery at about 3.7v...

I was expecting it to be bright but I had no clue it would be freakishly bright! I think I gave my wife eye damage because it came on when I inserted the battery and just happened to be pointing at her. She had numerous expletives for me. I haven't tried it at night yet but here is a pic from someone who did.

So now the goal is to get one into a saber, properly heat sink it, and add some color filters. Currently it's only available in pure white (4500k ~ 10000k).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:08:49 PM by Delmustator »
-Del

Terminators are people too....

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: SSC P7 - Freakishly Bright LED!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:30:53 PM »
Once again Del, ...great find and thanks for sharing the latest. Most appreciated.

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
Nevermind a saber, these apparently will come in handy as high beams for my car.

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 02:40:37 PM »
Nice find, Del!  Haven't seen you around in a while... where you been????   ;)

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 04:09:26 PM »
Interesting LED... Daylight bright saber anyone?

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 04:28:25 PM »
Interesting LED... Daylight bright saber anyone?

YES...soon, I hope.

Will look forward to hearing how your build goes with heatsinking etc.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 04:35:51 PM »
Did you google the specs for the LED?  The Seoul P7 needs 2800 mA at 3.6V to give you 700-900 lumens.  With a single 18650 you won't get very much runtime.  If you cut the current to 1400 mA you still get 400 lumens.  With 2800 mA and 3.6V, that's a lot of heat going to be generated.  That's going to be 10W of heat you need to get rid of.  A very good heatsink is definitely going to be of upmost importance.  Good luck with this, I am curious to see you pull it off.

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 11:23:38 AM »
I've seen a handful of these mounted in sabers already. YouTube has a couple videos, someone posted at TCSS with one, I believe Do-Clo posted one here last month, and I've got one on the bench at home.

They're bright, yes, but the optics we currently use aren't optimized, adequate current is impossible with current soundboards, and heatsinking is a huge challenge.

For optics, I'm awaiting 5 degree Carclo optics. We'll see if they're any better than what I have now in focusing the beam more tightly.

For current, I'm experimenting with a driver from Kaidomain.com that is purpose-built to drive the SSCP7. Sound will have to come from a second batt/board circuit crammed in the hilt (not connected to the SSCP7).

For heatsinking, a 2" copper lug is the best I've come up with so far, lol. I'm not a fan of installing fans in sabers.

I'll post my findings once complete, but the bottom line is I agree with Ace, the SSCP7 for now is still relegated to a "show me" saber. Bright, but very short run time and very limited use (unless you didn't mind a super long hilt that can hold two 18650s, a kaidomain driver, one 14500/17500/18650, a soundboard, speaker, resonator, PLUS a two inch heatsink.  ;D

And sorry, though they are bright, they are not "Daylight Bright". Not even close.

It's easier to hook up a LedEngin 10W White...at least it has four individually addressable dice, which opens up more wiring configuration possibilities. (CF+Clash, or Hybrid)

**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Aurora Skywalker

• Force User
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 12:59:34 PM »
 :o WOW just WOW ..... That night time pic is CRAZY  :o  ..... too bad it seems it won't work well for sabers currently.

Offline Delmustator

• BLADE RUNNER
  • Master Force User
    • ButtryNET
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 03:10:27 PM »
Nice find, Del!  Haven't seen you around in a while... where you been????   ;)

Been working on starting up a new media production company with some partners. Between that and real work, just real busy..   :(
-Del

Offline Delmustator

• BLADE RUNNER
  • Master Force User
    • ButtryNET
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 03:19:56 PM »
I ran the Aurora flashlight for about 50 minutes before it was kaput. The light intensity fell off at about 30 minutes and declined from there. And it did get too hot to handle.

My main objective is to use these in a Bescor MX-600 twin on-camera video light (which is pathetic anyway). This should increase the light runtime substantially over the 15 minutes I get now. Just need to filter the white light a little for a more natural look.
-Del

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »
That looks BRIGHT! Great find. ;)

retrousse