fiduciary

Author Topic: Q&A for JSSDC - please read and post questions here  (Read 1381 times)

Offline JudgeSabersmith

• Kind of on haitus
  • Master Force User
Q&A for JSSDC - please read and post questions here
« on: November 09, 2009, 07:34:48 AM »
As the "keeper of keys" over at JSSDC and the guy who's paying the monthly hosting fee and admin'ing the forums, I feel compelled to speak on this matter.  Please heed what i am about to impart to you.

JSSDC is like no other forum in this hobby.  Yes, we get special treatment.  We do special things.  We do things for each other we don't do for the general public.  We work on things you haven't ever seen.  We're generating ideas that can have major influence on this hobby.

True, it doesn't seem fair that we can get hold of these limited run sabers and you all can't.  Unfortunately, that's the way it is.  Acerocket was gracious enough to do this limited run of sabers for us at JSSDC because he knew they'd sell, and he knew that we could handle the finishing and electronics for them.  The members here at FX-Sabers who've shown you their sabers are not waving them under your nose saying "na na na na", but are showing you things that can be done.  Maybe some of you will have a neat idea from the things you have seen.  Maybe the different sabers and styles will help you to push your own boundaries.  Maybe these sabers can inspire you.  That's their purpose.  That's their function.

To address a couple related points, let me segway to discuss membership, since I get regular questions about it.  Membership is restricted to "invitation only" and will remain so permanently.  We (the general membership and the admin team) decide who is to become a member.  We watch all of you.  When you have displayed the right character, we discuss the possibility of your becoming a member and put it to a vote.  If you are voted in, we extend an invitation.  Character is not just your skills as a builder - we have some members who don't build much at all.  Character is not the size of your collection or your knowledge of the lore of SW.  Character is not just your attitude and how you handle yourself on forums like FX-Sabers and TCSS.  It's more and it's all-encompassing.

If the members of JSSDC want to divulge the cost of these sabers and other details to folks here, I can't necessarily stop them.  However, we have an understanding at JSSDC that what goes on within the confines of our camp stays there.  House business is house business.  

No, it's not fair that you're restricted from taking advantage of all the neat things we have going on over at JSSDC.  However, you all do in some small way without even knowing it.  I won't say more, but rest assured that our reach extends further than our forums and you all are able to reap the benefits in some ways, even if it means you don't get in on these limited runs of sabers.  Do you ask artists to make more copies of limited-edition lithographs?  Do you ask manufacturers to make more of a limited edition so you can get in on them?  Of course not - so don't do it here.  Acerocket made as many sabers as needed because the members of JSSDC bought all of them.  There aren't any sitting available for sale.

Please stop with the colored commentary about not being able to get hold of these sabers.  Just enjoy them.  You should be able to appreciate another person's work without feeling sorry for yourself that you can't have it.  I return you back to your regularly scheduled oogling of sabers...

Offline JudgeSabersmith

• Kind of on haitus
  • Master Force User
Re: Q&A for JSSDC - please read and post questions here
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »
I’m going to take this opportunity to address some questions many people have about JSSDC – who we are, what we do, how we operate, what our function is, etc.

JSSDC was started as a web forum originally open to the public as another place to gather and discuss sabers, free from some of the rules on other forums.  I respect rules, and see the need for them, but I wanted to free the discussions and let people police themselves.  All was fine until some nasty goings on last year.  I had to lock the forums down or shut them down.

I have always maintained that if you are a member of my forums, you will be active.  It seems pointless to have a membership and never use it.  I routinely look at membership and if there are folks who have not been active (not logged in) for over 30 days, they are purged.  If there are members who have a bad case of Darth Real Life going on, all they have to do is notify me and I let them slide.  If you were a member and were purged, it is because you were not active and were not an active part of our community.  If there are hard feelings, I do apologize, but this is the policy.  I may seem harsh, but I am firm, fair and consistent.

So, what do we do now that the forums are private?  We congregate and discuss sabers amongst other things.  We trash-talk about each other’s work.  We give critical feedback and we don’t get all grumpy about it.  We push eachother to be the best we can be.  We are eachother’s biggest fans and staunchest critics.  We are intimately familiar with eachother’s work, methods, talents and shortcomings.

JSSDC is a family.  It sounds corny, but it’s true.  We’re tight.  I’d walk through fire for my members, and I have a couple of times.  I have borne the brunt of fallout to protect my members.  They would do the same for me.  It’s not a “good ol boys” club, but we watch out for eachother.  We have some dysfunction; we have the crazy uncle who drinks too much and tells weird stories; we have the nephew nobody likes to talk about. 

Yes, we get special treatment that is exclusive to other forums.  As I said before, you missed out on the limited edition K3GR-1 sabers Acerocket built.  However, you all take advantage of things that we do on JSSDC even if you are not aware of it.  We’re on the front lines of this hobby, and we’re pushing progress forward.

Now, what does it take to be a member?  You don’t have to be a super-sabersmith.  You don’t have to be a mod or arbiter here (that has NOTHING to do with it).  You don’t have to be a big-time collector.  You don’t have to be a machinist.  You don’t have to be blessed with deep pockets.  What you need is to have that certain something that we think would make you a valuable member to our family. 

Some of our members don’t build many sabers at all.  Some of our members are still learning their way through the craft at a basic or intermediate level.  Some of our members are more into other things.  It’s what they contribute that makes them valuable.  They add to the discussions.  They give us reason to think.  They make us laugh.  They make JSSDC a great place to hang out.  JSSDC is a place to learn to perfect your craft – to go from hobbyist to artisan.  JSSDC is a place to vent your frustrations and say what’s on your mind and have folks listen to you.  JSSDC is a place to have some laughs.

We’re not the type of forum for everybody.  There have been potential candidates rejected because we felt they would not like our brand of humor or the things we discuss.  It’s nothing personal.  I have no prejudices towards race, sex, sexual orientation, religious preference, etc.  I go by the character of a person.  Sometimes, you can be a great person, but be a bad fit for a group.  It’s how it goes.  We don’t sit over at JSSDC and tout our superiority, because we are humble.  We were all n00bs once too.

I will close with two thoughts:

1.   Can you handle the gravy?
2.   Would scuba-horse approve?

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
Re: Q&A for JSSDC - please read and post questions here
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 09:48:32 PM »
To avoid any further conflict I have split and locked this topic.  It was not my intent for this thread to go in the direction it did and I apologize for allowing it to.

I left the two posts made by JudgeSabersmith since they hold a lot of useful information for those curious about his site.

Judge, if you would like to reopen it please pm any mod or arbiter.

retrousse