fiduciary

Author Topic: Tron saber concept  (Read 3224 times)

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
Re: Tron saber concept
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 12:53:44 PM »
2.2 or 2.3.  cant decide, both are cool

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »
Hmmmm.....

Hmm.

... ;)
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Xene

• Master Force User
  • Sup?
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 01:33:20 AM »
it appears a V3 is in order ;D il get to work on one ;)

@Naigon~I'll defiantly look into it ;) maybe a tronified star wars emblem ;D

@Goodman~ are those good "hmms"? ;)
"What I lack in finesse I more than make up for in blanket ruination.."

Offline Darth Ryô

• Experienced Force User
  • Glory of the Hunt
    • My blog: GOTH Custom Sabers
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 05:36:44 AM »
My preference goes to V2.2 (altho I'd like to see any of these version come to life, great concept ^^)

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 07:43:07 AM »
love the 2.1 design! 2.2 is nice too, for a more simplified touch. I think that the 2.3 is a bit too plain, especially when compared to how intricate the otehr two versions are. I'd love to see this come to life!

Offline vargose

• Force User
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
v2.1 seems to be the most tron like. Although I don't know if I like the engraving on the lower half of the black overlay. The v2 emitter is much better.

Offline Xene

• Master Force User
  • Sup?
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 11:56:01 PM »
Thanks again everyone for the feedback ^^ I now present V3 ;D Ill be doing a V3.1 as I may have gone a "little" overboard with the acid etching designs ^^; I was having too much fun sketching it ^^;

sorry about the colours, my scanner for some reason makes them too light~the saber was charcoal grey while the shroud almost black~

hope you like ^^

Offline Darth Ryô

• Experienced Force User
  • Glory of the Hunt
    • My blog: GOTH Custom Sabers
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 01:37:42 AM »
Oh yeah, dfinitely like it  ;D

(great schetch by the way!)

Offline Gisteron

• Padawan Learner
    • My DA Gallery
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 07:32:09 AM »
Ah, well now this is getting somewhere. Doesn't look like it'll cut one's hand or fall apart in a strong grip. The inner light may still become a challenge, but at least it has any sort of solidity now =)
"Est inter adversa felix venerabilis." - (adapted) Seneca

Offline Jin

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
Very cool looking saber. Have you thought about making all the light tape parts actually shine through with a blue led of some sort? Maybe like a faux crystal chamber?

Offline Xene

• Master Force User
  • Sup?
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 02:05:36 PM »
@darth ryo: thanks ^^; it was gum to sketch ^^;

@Gisteron: really?the overall design (barring the emitter of course ^^; ) hasn't changes much since the V1~

@jin:  I thought about it, but a)it's not easy to get small "Tron aqua" leds :) and b) lighttape looks pretty easy to use anyway ^^; also c).it already has a crystal chamber XD it's the largest panel near the bottem, I was just too lazy to draw it XD

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 06:49:11 PM »
@Goodman~ are those good "hmms"? ;)

They're very good "hmms"!  Keep refining your design with everyone (there is a neat crowd sourcing vibe going on here in this thread, I like it).     I'm...paying attention ;)

Offline Xene

• Master Force User
  • Sup?
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
In that case I present a fully 3D model representation! ;D

Made from a cardboard roll XD

sorry I havent updated much lately, lotta stuff going on ^^ sill interested in peoples opinions though ^^ specially the new pommel look ^^

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 07:54:43 PM »
I like the idea a lot, but the concept is beginning to overflow into the realm of being "overly busy", in my humble opinion. The Tron aesthetic is one of purpose yet efficiency. They're essentially designed around electronic circuits (look at the concept art for the original Tron film). Tron Legacy "streamlined" that design aesthetic, adding a sort of "Mac" quality to everything, but the underlying aesthetic remained the same. Clean lines, flowing but efficient, artistic yet purposeful. Consider how a modern circuit board is laid out.

Might I suggest, now that you've build a "3D model", that you first start with a bare tube, then pick one or two primary "lines of movement". In other words, a line which begins at the front of the saber and ends at the rear. Pencil those one or two lines in, and then sketch detail around those primary lines of movement, without necessarily overcrowding or crossing over those lines. Tron artwork often features two parallel lines which then diverge in opposite directions (again with the Circuitry aesthetic). Try incorporating that into your design.

Sketching onto an actual tube helps you see how all the lines and angles balance together when viewed from all angles. You'll quickly be able to see when you have added too much detail, too many complex lines, too few "bold strokes". Concerning detail density, in my opinion there is a fine line between a Tron saber, a Michael Bay Transformers saber, a Borg saber, and a hot mess.

To summarize my suggestions, seek Balance.

P.S.  Don't fret the cardboard tube, my friend. I've used laundry sticks in the past and your method is much cleaner. Whatever works!  8)

Offline Xene

• Master Force User
  • Sup?
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 05:09:52 AM »
goodman, consider your point made ;D i should probably have used more references origionally XD i shall go back to the drawing board ^^

and borg saber?! that would be epic! bring on the lumiglass ;D

and im not fretting ;) i use them to simulate shrouds as well ^^ theyre the perfect diameter ^^

retrousse