fiduciary

Author Topic: Armor recomendations for Dueling?  (Read 10338 times)

Offline Akitoscorpio

• Padawan Learner
Armor recomendations for Dueling?
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:31:33 PM »
Okay so Me and my roommates all fancy ourselves to be pretty tough SOB's, We Offer fight in tee-shirts and jeans and normally will quit when were too tried or sore form to many wrist and joint hits to continue, that being said were both planing on ordering Ultra-sabers (actually mine's in processing right now) and now we decided that were not manly enough to be beating the xxx out of each other with polycarbonate glowing sticks with out some kind of protection..

Now I was thinking for honest hard sparing some sparing armor used in martial arts would work, but that's kinda pricey for our budgets. But at the same time I really don't want to risk a swing getting deflected into his face and hurting my sparing partner severely. Or even taking a hand out as we have a bad habit of hitting our wrists and fingers.

any recommendations

http://www.karatesupply.com/Sparring-Gear_c_14.html <---- What I'm looking at right now.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:02:18 PM by QUI-GON-JINN »
Join the City of Akitotopia
http://akitotopia.myminicity.com/

Offline Master Dru-Er

• Experienced Force User
  • Trust your feelings
Re: Armor recomendations for Dualing?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 03:20:56 PM »
Sounds to me that you could save alotta money by choreographing and speeding up.  It'll make you a better saber weilder and you guys have a much better chance of not getting hurt.

Offline Akitoscorpio

• Padawan Learner
Re: Armor recomendations for Dualing?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 04:56:37 PM »
Yeah But my understanding is that choreographing is not the same as dualing, which is mostly what were aiming for, I mean we mostly are used to full contact sparing with our boffers. Hence protection.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
Re: Armor recomendations for Dueling?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 05:08:32 PM »
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:27:31 PM by DARTH TYRANUS »

Offline Akitoscorpio

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »
That is fantastically in depth, Thanks for the Information Darth Tyranus. So your going to go ahead and suggest this for bare minimum requirements?

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 05:28:31 PM »
Sorry I edited my post with the PDF for the requirements of SCA style combat.

You would have to modify it to suite your needs.

However, you need to follow those guidelines CAREFULLY. Injuries can happen, and most likely will.  The problem is finding a way to make that style of armor fit the needs of SW related combat.

There are a few Scadians hereon the forums.

Darth Vader was toying with the idea for a while.  I don't know where he stands on it right now, but he had some really good ideas.  There is a topic about it here on the forums someplace.  I forget where. a search should turn it up easily enough though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 05:32:19 PM by DARTH TYRANUS »

Offline Akitoscorpio

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 05:29:59 PM »
Yeah Because I think SCA heavy fighting armor might be a tad overkill, I somehow don't think were going to be hitting each other hard enough to break the blades off.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 05:33:50 PM »
Yes but the minimum protection requirements for the areas of the body that are most vulnerable are HIGHLY recommended.

Head, Neck, ribs, kidneys, groin knees...etc

Better safe than Vegetable...

Offline Akitoscorpio

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 05:36:17 PM »
Okay well that I agree with you one, and I'll look into a basically non hard sparing armor set up, and get back to you :)

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 05:41:59 PM »
How about looking into the safe target areas and proper chreography FIRST?  The more you know how to pull blows, and choreograph your movements, the better you will be off for it. Safety is what we are about here. not splitting skulls.

If you want more contact, then Join the SCA, and go to get authorized to fight at events. it's that simple.

Offline Akitoscorpio

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 11:48:47 PM »
Forgive me for saying this, but both my Roomate and I have been boffering for years without body protection, and we have never once swung to hard or seriously injured each other unless we slip or hit each other in a spot that might of been sore from something work related.... And I personally have a couple years of Kendo under my belt as well. Untill we get armor at the worst were thinking of tap fighting, choreographing, spin practice or the types of restraining maneuvers we see on the tutorial videos of always keeping your hand  as a fist pointed at your partner..

My partner is also an EX SCA member and is the son of a champion fencer who made it into the trials for the olympics in the late 1960's

So we are hardly rank Amateurs by any means, were just not going to be teaching and classes anytime soon.

That being said so far the best bet were thinking of is Lacross padding, there certified to withstand a ball being flung into you at over 100 miles per hour or being struck repeatedly by a metal lacross staff, so I think and sabers we whack aganst them would not inflict massive damage... that would protect every where but the necks which were considering Motorcycling Neck braces, the kind you should wear when your riding a crotch rocket and restricts your neck movement, it should provide the protection for your neck area and keep your head from being batted around quite abit when the occasional botched swing gets you in the head.

The irony is that some of the better idea's for protect your wrist came from a very non combative sport. Bowling.... See I do bowl on occasion and I work at a center up here, so you see what the pro's use on the lanes, and you can actually buy a hard metal wrist brace that, while designed to keep your wrist from bending to far back which is a plus so you don't overextend your wrists swinging, also is hard metal so they can take saber hits well, the only potential downside I can think of is you would not be able to spin your saber for a xxx, but it's not a bad idea overall. My roommate is personally thinking of The Full Lacross Guardsmen Vambrace because of the same reasons Were thinking of of Lacross Chest, Shoulder, Shin, and Groin protection...

Okay Why sugar coat it, were basically planing on shopping for the gear from the only truly armored competitive sports that comes to mind.

A good alternitive for face protection would be of course a fencing or kendo helm, the Kendo helm being the best, but in a budget pinch I'm pretty sure a Hockey Goalies mask, or a Catchers  face mask could do in a pinch...

While I agree the SCA is awesome as an organization, it's not honestly an option for us as we generaly lack the transportation to get out to events, the reason my roomate is an EX member, and the last local event I went to didn't inspire me to make a second outing for reasons I won't discuss.  Also well were poor so were thinking budget options for protection via sports gear that well is affordable.

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 12:07:10 AM »
Yeah, you won't find inexpensive gear, even to make it. I just spent over $200 on materials to make Samurai Armour that is light duel ready. Hockey Equipment will cost you an arm and a leg, as does Kendo Gear. Real Samurai Armour, HA! Minimum $1500-$2000 for competitive Armour.

Best bet, especially hockey gear, look at a local used sports equipment shop.

Good luck. 8)

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Akitoscorpio

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 12:09:17 AM »
Ebay is a great option as well :)

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 12:11:38 AM »
Ebay is a great option as well :)

Yeah, eBay is not bad. But I never got hockey equipment there. Look for older hockey equipment. The new stuff is bigger and bulkier.

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Ebon

• THE DARK SITH SLAYER
  • Padawan Learner
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 06:02:30 AM »
If you use the lighter weight blades, they will hold up just fine for the most part and they really don't have the mass to do more than bruise or cause some red knuckles (which can be fixed by learning to block with the blade and not your hands).  We have been using 3 weapon fencing masks and heavy bag gloves (kind of like the MMA gloves) with little more than a sore finger from time to time.  Honestly, the worst shot I ever got, going full speed with a guy with no formal training, was a thrust to the gut, which wasn't all that bad as long as they don't lock their elbow. 

We have found that "pulling" shots with something that will flex like polyC, actually causes more pain that a regular strike since it whips at the end and can sting a good bit.

SCA rules tend to slip toward the caution side, but they are also made for people using fairly weighty rattan sticks instead of lightweight plastic tubes.  Thats one of the reasons I stopped Heavy fighting in SCA, the armor was so stifling it wasn't that much fun for me.  That and I like to slice at the ankles from time to time ;D

Ebon

retrousse