fiduciary

Author Topic: USPS and lithium batteries  (Read 34245 times)

Offline jedicri

• Master Force User
Re: USPS and lithium batteries
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2013, 08:18:30 AM »
That was my specific concern.  I'm sending in a hilt for repairs from Canada to the U.S.  Thanks!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »
That was my specific concern.  I'm sending in a hilt for repairs from Canada to the U.S.  Thanks!
Make sure when you fill out the customs form,  that you mark the package as being sent for repair,  if you're able.  I had two sabers delivered to me a couple of years ago for the very same reason,  and also from Canada,  and I was charged the import duty on them even though I did not purchase them.

Offline JediWizard

• Master Force User
  • You cant have a droid Phil
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »
holy thread revival batman but how is the postal service these days with the ol li-ion shipments to international destinations

Offline bekstorm

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 08:23:08 AM »
holy thread revival batman but how is the postal service these days with the ol li-ion shipments to international destinations

Here are the guidelines. I only found these due to wanting to send a saber to be modified to Canada.
Small consumer-type lithium-ion cells and batteries like those used to power cell phones and laptop computers are mailable in a single shipment with the following restrictions:
The batteries must be installed in the equipment being shipped.
Each shipment may contain a maximum of four lithium-ion cells or two lithium-ion batteries.
The lithium content must not exceed 20 Watt-hour rating (Wh) per cell.
The total aggregate lithium content must not exceed 100 Wh per battery.
Each battery must bear the “Watt-hour” or “Wh” marking on the battery to determine if it is within the limits defined in items c and d.
The batteries installed in the equipment must be protected from damage and short circuit.
The equipment must be equipped with an effective means of preventing it from being turned on or activated.
The equipment must be contained in a strong sealed package and cushioned to prevent movement or damage.
The Force doesn't want me dead. It doesn't want me happy, but it doesn't want me dead.

Offline JediWizard

• Master Force User
  • You cant have a droid Phil
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »
so what is the wh rating on 14500 and 18650 as their the ones we use mostly

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2016, 06:50:05 PM »
Bump!I believe this is still how it is handled by the USPS, and will try to verify it later tonight.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »
so what is the wh rating on 14500 and 18650 as their the ones we use mostly
This is a little late,  but here is how to figure watt-hours courtesy of FEDEX: http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/LithiumBattery_JobAid.pdf

For those with no pdf viewer,  the formula is: Volts x ampere hour (Ah) = watt hours

Example: a single 3.7v, 3400mAh 18650 would be 3.7 x 3.4Ah = 12.58WH

To figure the lithium content,  the formula is: Ah per cell x 0.3 gm x number of cells
Example: a single 3.7v, 3400mah 18650 would be 3.4 x 0.3 x 1 = 1.02 grams of lithium

Here is where you can find the information on the USPS site regarding shipment of hazardous materials: Publications This is publication 52, section 349.222 for domestic shipments of Li-ion batteries/cells,  and section 652.52 for international shipping.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:08:27 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

retrousse