fiduciary

Author Topic: Delta Voodoo and Delta Scepter - the Concept Sabers Run  (Read 15574 times)

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
Delta Voodoo and Delta Scepter - the Concept Sabers Run
« on: August 22, 2013, 05:55:14 PM »
Delta Voodoo and Delta Scepter - the Concept Sabers Run

I am sure many of the 'die hard' fans know that in 1974, George Lucas finished the rough draft for the "The Star Wars."  In 1975, he completes the second draft, "Adventures Of The Starkiller".  To go along with the drafts, George Lucas has Ralph McQuarrie do a series of concepts sketches.  Five key illustrations were created between January and March of 1975 - one of them being 'Laser Duel'.  {if you've never read the draft, it's very interesting - lots of names and places are used in subsequent movies - http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/SWSECOND.TXT

(picture found via Google image search).

Of course, the above picture is that iconic painting of the 'laser sword' duel between Darth Vader and Deak Starkiller on a Rebel ship.

I am going to offer my take on these two sabers.

First, the Delta Voodoo.

Second, the Delta Scepter.

These sabers are short - both have an overall length of 8".  The Delta Voodoo has a 1.45" od grip, 1.885" od pommel and 2.417" od emitter flange (at the emitter face).  The Delta Scepter has a 1.45" od grip,  1.785" od pommel and 2.7" od emitter flange.  I like to think that when Ralph McQuarrie made his illustrations, he drew inspiration from one-handed battle swords - hence the oversized pommels and large 'handguards'.

Both sabers are designed to utilize a single 18650 battery and use the Crystal Shard sound board with single switch activation.  A Nano Biscotti will also fit, but I designed the chassis part that holds the board to fit the Crystal Shard, so some modifications to the mount might be in needed to fit the NB.  I am not sure if any of the Igniter line will fit - perhaps the Spark or Mini?  Both sabers will accept 1" blades and can use most any current LED setup that works with the single 18650 battery setup. There are sound holes and a recharge port mounting hole in the pommel insert.  As designed now, they use the new TCSS 2W mini speaker.  But I may change that based on some input I have received in regards to those speakers.  

As far as the run goes, this will be a concurrent run – meaning I will do both sabers at the same time because of similarity of parts/stock, machine setups, and other factors.  It makes more sense to run both designs at the same time instead of back to back. 

There will be only two trim levels offered on this run:  Empty or CSv1 install.

Empty saber specs:
    Delta Voodoo -  will include the following parts and components:  emitter, heatsink, grip, pommel, pommel insert, speaker/CS mount, 2X chassis disc, switch disc, box, button, switch, 2X box screw, blade set screw, and assorted threaded rod, spacers and nuts for chassis.

Delta Scepter – will include the following parts and components:  emitter, heatsink, grip, pommel, pommel insert, speaker/CS mount, 2X chassis disc, switch disc, bezel, button, switch, blade set screw, and assorted threaded rod, spacers and nuts for chassis.

Empties will not include Crystal Shard (or other sound board), 18650 cell, speaker, recharge port, LED, optic or any other items that would be used in the course of the electronics intstall.

CSv1 installed saber specs:
CSv1 installed sabers will include everything the above 'empty' descriptions list for the two different empty saber versions, and will include a CSv1 install by one of my chosen installers.  CSv1 install will include the CSv1 board, 18650 battery, recharge port, speaker, LED and optic fully installed and tested.   The installers I have lined up for this run are LDM/General Grievous, Darren, MH, Rion, Arm on Fire, JayGonJinn, and Jango (all Rebellion members who I have worked with on Rebellion runs).

Note:   sabers do not come with charger, or 1” blade.  You will need to source those yourself.

Now, as for pricing, down payment requirements and progress payments.

As mentioned before, there will be two trim levels.  Empty and CSv1 install.

Level 1: CSv1 w/3.7V completed saber $580.00 + shipping + Paypal 3.5%
Level 2: empty saber $275.00 + shipping + Paypal 3.5%

-FoC adds $60 and is only available on CSv1 saber installs.
-No blades, no chargers (installers may have these available for purchase separately).
-CSv1 sabers will have Tri-rebel, 9W RGB or equivalent LED (for FoC sabers) or P4/Rebel or equivalent LED (for non-FoC sabers).
-Color mixed Colors add $40 to CS install price.

The non-refundable deposit will be $137.50 PER saber.

1.  The paypal address that you MUST use is: sales@orbitalmachining.com
2.  Make sure to send it as a payment for goods and not a personal payment.
3.  Include your FX-SABERs member name so I can compile an accurate list of those who have paid. 
4.  Post here when you have sent your deposit (this is the way I will cross check and maintain good records).

As the sabers near completion, I will request a second payment be made.  If you are getting an empty saber, the second payment will be $147.13 + shipping to you (to be determined based on your address) made to the same sales@orbitalmachining.com Paypal address. If you are getting a CSV1 installed saber, you will be making two seperate payments to cover this amount owed.  The first payment will be $147.13 + plus shipping to installer, made to me at the sales@orbitalmachining.com Paypal address.  The second half of this payment will be made to your installer in the amount of $150.00 made to their Paypal account.  When your installer nears completion on your saber, you will need to make the final payment to your installer - $165.68 + shipping to your address + any options you added (FOC, custom color, etc).

A special note to those who will only purchase an empty saber then seek an installer.  Do not purchase an empty saber then ask LDM/General Grievous, Darren, MH, Rion, Arm on Fire, JayGonJinn, or Jango for an install.  I have made arrangements with these gentlemen to do CSv1 installs for me.  They will be busy doing the contracted installs and have stated that they will not be available for any additional installs on these sabers.

The deadline for deposits will be Sunday, September 22, 2013.  After this, I will close the list and begin ordering materials.

OK, now for a note on the finsihing of these sabers.  I made the renders in color to simulate what I saw in the original painting.  Empty sabers will all be shipped unfinished.  There will be no painting or powdercoating options available for empty sabers - you will be responsible for finishing your own saber or having your chosen installer finish it for you.  For those that order installed sabers, I will be offering a finsihing option for you at an additional price to be determined when I decide upon a finish method.  There will be no different color combinations offered - only the standard render color and pattern will be offered.  When the run list closes, I will make a determination on powdercoating or anodizing.  If there are few installed sabers, I will look into the powdercoating option.  If I get a larger number of installed sabers, I will consider going the anodizing route.  If, and this is a vague possibility, I go with anodizing, I may offer this service to members who purchased only an empty saber.  More information regarding finishing will be posted once the list closes and I have a chance to evaluate my options and get prices.

Delta Voodoo
1.  General Greivous - empty -deposit paid
2.  Turgon - CSv1 with FOC - deposit paid
3.  Darth Maul - CSv1 with FOC - deposit paid
4.  Jango Fett
5.  Juansith - empty - deposit paid
6.  Juansith - empty - deposit paid
7.  acerocket

Delta Scepter
1.  Sanjuro - CSv1 with FOC - deposit paid
2.  General Greivous - empty - deposit paid
3.  Tron - empty - deposit paid
4.  Darth Maul - CSv1 with FOC - deposit paid
5.  Jango Fett
6.  acerocket
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:52:18 AM by Wat Tambor »

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
Re: Delta Voodoo and Delta Scepter - the Concept Sabers Run
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 06:26:44 PM »
Nice work Wat.  :)) I actually remember seeing that sketch ages ago. Good Luck with the run!

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline Sanjuro

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Sanjuro Systems
    • Sanjuro Systems
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »
Delta Scepter please
CS version with FoC

Deposit sent.

Respectfully,
Sanjuro
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:18:17 PM by Sanjuro »
SANJURO SYSTEMS - Custom Lightsaber Stands, Custom Chassis Disks for Lightsaber builds, and other related items.

My Business - Home

Japan Lightsaber Dueling Guild, Founding Member

Offline Starwinder

• Master Force User
  • I don't like sand...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:55:46 AM »
This is so cool Wat!  I'm pretty lucky to have the "Laser Duel" poster print on my wall (can't seem to find them anywhere anymore) and i was just wondering the other day if anyone in this community had tried building these concept sabers.  It'll be awesome to see how these come out!

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 08:18:30 AM »
To answer a question I received regarding this run.

'...Will this be a one time ony run?  What if we want both sabers but can only afford one?..."

Unlike some of my other runs, there is the high possibility that I will do a second or even more future runs.  I do realize that offering both sabers at the same tiime can be a bit of a financial pickle for some, but because of the commonality and similarity of parts on these sabers (designed that way on purpose), it make sense for me to do both at the same time.  People who want both sabers now, can get both now.  If you only want one now, you can get that one now and I will most likely do a run next year or whenever based on customer feedback.  So no, this will not be a one time only run.

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
I LOVE these Wat.  I shall have them.  Both. 

Offline Turgon

• Master Force User
  • Epic Bear sez " Can I haz two?"
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 02:16:29 PM »
OK,  put me down for a delta voodoo, installed.  I hope the General does mine, since I, ehm..., like my sabers weathered.

I've broken Juggers in half, smashed their bones, left the ground behind me wet with brains. There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

Offline tron

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »
PM sent, oh that is a CS Scepter..  Thanks...   
Disregard for the rules, disrespecting staff, threatening legal action or inferring it via informing staff of various laws.
Created duplicate accounts to circumvent ban.

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 06:17:46 PM »
I'll send my down payments after I get back from Dragon Con week after next. I'll be taking one of each with CS w/ FOC Install.

Offline Turgon

• Master Force User
  • Epic Bear sez " Can I haz two?"
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
Payment sent for "Delta Voodoo" -- ha! I just got it... Put me down for FoC as well.

I've broken Juggers in half, smashed their bones, left the ground behind me wet with brains. There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
Wat...maybe it says somewhere but what are thinking about timing empties will be available?
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline tron

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 04:06:35 AM »
OK Now I need the Concept art to go with this,  I am fighting the urge to get Voodoo, Yoda knows I gotta Full hold and my hyper-drive is on the fritz!!!!!!   
Disregard for the rules, disrespecting staff, threatening legal action or inferring it via informing staff of various laws.
Created duplicate accounts to circumvent ban.

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »
Wat...maybe it says somewhere but what are thinking about timing empties will be available?

I won't give timelines anymore.  After what happened with the AwesomeSauce X11000 run, I don't want people taking any timeline I give as the Gospel Truth.

The deadline to close the run is not for another month.  So I can say I won't even start them for a month minimum.  As far as how long it will take to machine them - I can't say right now.  Could be a month, could be a half a year.  It will really depend on the number of sabers in the run and what my schedule looks like when I start the work.  Then I have to figure out if I will be getting the installed sabers powder coated or anodized and that may add weeks to the completion timeframe.  I can now say I have had customers angry that a run took too long, and that a run went to quickly.

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 10:29:17 AM »
Well, judging from the interest so far, I m going to have to change my mind about future runs.  Right now, I am going to say that this will be the one and only run of these sabers.

Offline DARTH MAUL

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • At last we shall have our revenge....
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 06:20:50 PM »
I'll send my down payments after I get back from Dragon Con week after next. I'll be taking one of each with CS w/ FOC Install.

I've sent my deposit for both sabers.

retrousse