fiduciary

Author Topic: Converting from component blades  (Read 882 times)

Offline Darth Solace

• Master Force User
  • Luminous beings are we...
Converting from component blades
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:04:24 AM »
So some of u may have seen some of my posts regarding led string sabers. My fascination with them started with seeing slothfurnaces build log for his rotj saber. I had been collecting mr sabers for a while, but never built one. So after many frustrating attempts and questions, I received alot of messages here encouraging me to try a luxeon type saver, as they are easier to build. But after seeing pictures of them and how the light seems to fade toward the top, I decided to keep going with my component blades. I've now created several impressive blades which I am very proud of.

As u was browsing eBay one day I came across this
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=281045448087&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=96698504900

Not an exact replica, but modeled after starkiller, which is my favorite hilt design. I decided to buy it. Now, I'm 6'3 and I like using very long blades. So the first thing I did was to plug in a 40 inch trans white tcss blade and turn it on. I was very disappointed.

I began taking the hilt apart, and realized that the saver was being under driven. I cut out the battery pack and rewired a new with proper resistors. Then cut the blade to a more reasonable 34 inches.
All I can say is, wow. I am very impressed and happy with my purchase. For everyone who encourage me to try the luxeon set up, I'm sorry I didn't listen to u sooner. And while I will continue to create component blades, I will now be experimenting with luxeons and ledengins and any others I can get my hands on.
In wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
Re: Converting from component blades
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »
Here's the ebay member's feedback thread here http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=17919.0
I only bring this up to make you aware that he has ripped off many of your peers in our community.
I'm glad you received your hilt without incident, but please reconsider before purchasing/supporting from him again until he makes good on all his missing orders.

If you are interested in a better hilt, post a wanted ad in the Trade Federation for a Vader's Vault starkiller, or try contacting JK-sabers http://myworld.ebay.com/jk-sabers?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I mention this only, because you may be unaware of the situation.

For a 40" blade, it is possible to get an even blade.
1.Use a mirrored tip.
2.4-6 feet of polypropylene film
3.Use the proper optics to focus the light. a 5 degree may be better in this case, due to its it's tighter focus. (i'm sure there would be debate on this)
4.Consider a secondary diffusing method, such corbin film or sanding the outer blade lightly.
5.Full Powah! setup with an LedEngin 10watt.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Darth Solace

• Master Force User
  • Luminous beings are we...
Re: Converting from component blades
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:39:43 AM »
Wow. I definitely won't be buying from him again. I only got it because the price was decent. Other starkillers I've seen have been way more expensive. I do have a ledengin gggg that I wired full powah. Haven't yet put it in a hilt. That will be my next project. Thanks for the heads up.
In wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself.

retrousse