fiduciary

Author Topic: MV's return to saber construction!  (Read 761 times)

Offline Master Valon

• Master Force User
  • "Love can ignite the stars."- Matthew Stover
MV's return to saber construction!
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:21:39 PM »
Hello, FX! After a long hiatus (due to a blow to my self esteem, which was caused by my failed 10W Deep red stunt build) I am back to saber building, and glad to be back. Soo......here's my planned build. I have a replica Graflex that I wanna make into an uber-bright stunt. I've done a crap-ton of reading in my absence (special thanks to Fender and his 10W thread!) and I THINK I have nailed down the generalities of what I want my build to be. However.....I am operating on a few assumptions here, and would like to check it out with you guys. I want to use the new Quad-Rebels that Luxeon has put out, specifically a 4x Cyan (or a BBBW, for a OT-true sky blue/cyanish color). Now, my main question is can each LED on the Quad handle 1500mA? If so, I would then get two TCSS constant current drivers, each the 3000mA variety. Then, I would wire two LEDs together in parallel, then wire them to the CC Driver, supplying each with 1.5A of current. Then I would do the same with the other 2 LEDs on the PCB to another 3A CC driver. Which is perfect on paper, but run me into a big problem relating to battery solution. If I wanted any sort of reasonable run time, which I do, I would need a crazy capacity to withstand the constant 6A draw. I whipped out the ruler, and concluded I MIGHT be able to squeeze 2 18650s side by side together in the Graflex, but might not. If I can, I would get 4x 3.7V 2600mAh packs from TCSS, wire 2 of them up in parallel to get 2 separate 3.7V 5200mAh packs. One pack would power one driver, and therefore 2 LEDs at 3A, leading to approximately an hour and 45 minute runtime, and the other pack would power the other driver leading to the same runtime. But, if 2 18650s can't fit side by side in a Graflex, I would just get 2 packs from TCSS and have one pack drive the 2 LEDs at 3A each, leading to approximately 50 minutes of runtime. OR, I could look into 26650 size cells, which are accurately rated at 4000mAh. I would only need two of those in stick formation. So, my main questions are:

1.) Can each LED/die on a Quad Rebel Cyan take 1500mA?

2.) Can 2 18650s fit side by side in a graflex?

3.) Are 26650 size cells appropriate for saber use?

4.) Would I need a DPDT Switch to turn on both circuits at the same time?

Thanks, guys!

P.S.: THis is also posted over at TCSS.
Though this is the end of the age of heroes, it has saved its best for last.

retrousse