fiduciary

Author Topic: USB recharge module and NB/Prizm  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Don

• Force User
    • Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy
USB recharge module and NB/Prizm
« on: March 08, 2018, 01:33:30 AM »
I'm considering to use one of this modules to charge the battery in the next build:

Amazon.com: XCSOURCE 10pcs 1A 5V Micro USB TP4056 Lithium Battery Power Charger

Obviously this module must be wired directly to the battery, and consequently it will feed 4.2V to the NB/Prizm boards when charging.

Would be a safe solution or there is the risk to harm the boards ?
Would be better to place a switch between the board and the battery to cut the power when charging ?

Alternatively I found these other modules, which include the high discharge protection circuitry (to be used with an unprotected lithium cell), but I fear their discharge threshold might be too low for a Tri-Cree setup.

Amazon.com: Icstation 10pcs TP4056 Micro USB 5V 1A 18650 Lithium Battery Charger

Any input is appreciated.
Master Sabersmith at the Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy Italy

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: USB recharge module and NB/Prizm
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 01:39:46 AM »
the board should be disconnected during charging, not that the 4.2v would harm the board, but it will prevent the charging circuit to know where it is within the charging cycle, and that can harm the li-ion cell.
I've used those chargers, but thru a recharge port (therefore having a switch). My Tron ID disc has one inside, but it also has a general power switch.

Offline Don

• Force User
    • Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy
Re: USB recharge module and NB/Prizm
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 03:28:29 AM »
Many thanks Evr.

I did not consider that the additional load introduced buy the board can trick the charging circuit.
So, using a slider switch is the way to go if I choose this kind of solution.

Actually, last year I already assembled a saber with this circuit, a slider switch and an Hasbro economy board, but I was hoping there was a way to skip the switch to reduce the size of the control box in the new saber.
Master Sabersmith at the Ludosport Lightsaber Combat Academy Italy

retrousse