fiduciary

Author Topic: Bin Adam's Luke ANH-FX Saber VIDEO Review!  (Read 13130 times)

Offline Bin Adam

• Master Force User
  • Muslim Knights: Fighting the Terror Within
    • For Those Who Reflect
Bin Adam's Luke ANH-FX Saber VIDEO Review!
« on: October 03, 2007, 07:14:16 AM »
Peace be upon all,

Well, the highly anticipated -and controversial, Luke EP IV Force-FX Lightsaber arrived on Monday, October the 1rst! There have been plenty of text-only and photo reviews so I did mine with video to add some variety .
I hope you find it beneficial. If you have any follow up questions let me know.

At your service,
Bin Adam

Full Length, Higher Quality version...
http://homepage.mac.com/islaminamerica/filechute/LukeANH_FXSaber.mov

Shortened YouTube version...

-- Just a technical note on the reason I post two video links:
1) I post on YouTube to raise saber-awareness and to interact with a new audience
2) I post a higher quality version on my own server because i can't stand how much extra compression gets done on the YouTube videos :P
3) YouTube has a 10 minute duration limit which can be annoying when you have something longer and don't want to split it up. The YouTube version of my Luke EP IV FX Saber is about 2 minutes shorter than the version you can see from my server link.

hope that helps

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 01:24:40 PM by Bin Adam »
The battle outside, starts inside.
"Don't desire to meet your enemy, but if you do be steadfast."

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
Re: Bin Adam's Luke ANH-FX Saber VIDEO Review!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 08:39:25 AM »
Nicely done my friend!

I see what everyone is talking about with the creaking noises when swung. Sounds like they didn't quite reinforce the blade well enough to prevent that.

The Luke ESB had a rubber bushing in the emitter ring to prevent that. Why they didn't do that as well with this FX, I have no idea. Probably because they were rushing to get this one out, I'd bet. ::)

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Bin Adam

• Master Force User
    • For Those Who Reflect
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »
Joclad,
Peace be upon you,

Yeah, the creaky-squeaky thing really bummed me out actually :(
Not everyone battles with their sabers but everyone swings their sabers so I just can't get passed this aspect!

Bin Adam

Offline Plane Crazy

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 09:27:06 AM »
Nice review Bin Adam! I am awed by your video skills.  :)

Sorry to see / hear the creaks in the saber! I got one yesterday as well, but I don't have any of that creakiness in mine. Hopefully it isn't something that will worsen in time.

Thanks again for sharing the video.

Plane Crazy

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:12:09 AM »
I just opened mine about 20 minutes ago, and I must say that the bumps under the red button and glass eye are not as bad as they seem in pics, but this one has the creakies with the blade, and the sounds are so muted because of the pommel cap, that I shut it off and boxed it back up.

I'm having trouble downloading your video Bin Adam, so I will patiently await the youtube vid. ;)

Offline Dark Helmet

• Force User
  • Hail Skroob!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 11:35:13 AM »
That is an excellent video review, i've enjoyed it. Good work!
LS Owned:

+ Yoda's Graflex V (Luke ESB Replica) -a masterpiece-
+ Cyan Luxeon III Anakin ROTS

Offline Andy Anonymous

• Master Force User
    • Andy Anonymous
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 12:44:58 PM »
Good review!

That creaking is a lot like what my Ani used to sound like. My Luke doesn't have that, fortunately.

Yours definitely looks (other than the creaking) to be structurally the same as mine, with mostly metal and none of the issues with unscrewing the pommel that others have reported. Interesting.

Offline Bin Adam

• Master Force User
    • For Those Who Reflect
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 01:59:27 PM »
Peace be upon all,
Thanks for the feedback brothers! I tried inserting the code for the YouTube video,

but I didn't see any change  ???  so i just posted the link until I get help figuring it out :-[

I love the looks of this hilt but not the performance so I am sending the Luke back tomorrow and just put money into my Overlord Fund.
Unless and until a new and worthy Lucas-licensed lightsaber vendor comes along, it's all about custom sabers for me moving forward  8)

I'm still waiting for someone to start a "Pimp-my-Saber" video series where enthusiasts not only push the light and sound technology to new levels (built-in color changing, high-end portable sound, wireless sound, USB saber-sound customization/tuning software) but also take hilt design/function to new levels (precious metals, jewels and fine wood inlays, leather, interchangeable parts)  8) ...
Maybe a few good sketches/renderings would kick it off  ;)

Bin Adam
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 02:02:04 PM by Bin Adam »

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 05:09:04 PM »
Great review! I especialy like the "comercial" for Yoda's lightsaber and for our forum! That was a great touch! I look forward to getting mine. Why? I don't know. This is just so dissapointing. Has Amy been around lately?
Disrespectful and Condescending to Staff.

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 05:24:43 PM »
My issue in downloading was with my computer. I got it eventually though! 8)

Great video review! I agree on nearly all points, but I am also biased in opinion because of my high expectations for this particular saber.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for representing FX-Sabers Forum galaxy, and plugging all the great sabersmiths that post here! Plus, you plugged the Master Sabersmith responsible for the TRUE Graflex Fx's!

Your video was very informative, and you are a very well-spoken individual. You pulled off a great review without a hitch! :)

Thank you Bin Adam!

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 06:04:45 PM »
 ;D

Love the video and the review!!I thought it was a very classy video indeed.You had some great spin moves too.I think that you would be a cool person to meet someday.Great job bin!! ;D

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 06:48:32 PM »
Great show-and-tell Bin Adam.  :)

Unfortunate about the creaking.  :-\  Thankfully, creaking isn't really an issue on my Luke ANH.  Interestingly, however, I had to exchange the new Darth Vader ANH FX due to EXCESSIVE creaking.  The replacement is fine, though.  You just never know what you're gonna get with these FXs.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:26:31 PM by Jedimoves »

Offline Andy Anonymous

• Master Force User
    • Andy Anonymous
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 07:07:50 PM »
Yeah, I think the major issue with the FX line isn't bad quality, but inconsistent quality.

Offline Bin Adam

• Master Force User
    • For Those Who Reflect
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 10:49:48 PM »
Peace be upon all,

Thank you -to everyone for the generous and humbling feedback. What comes from the heart, goes to the heart.
Honestly, all of you were my source of motivation to take the time to dust off my video camera, re-arrange my living room, rally up the wife and kids to be production assistants and "force" myself to edit this  on my day off.
On a production note, I focused on the vocal sound quality by using a wireless lavalier mic and manually adjusted the audio levels. I figured that if I am going to go through all this, then people should not have to struggle to hear what I'm saying which is often the case when relying on a camera or camcorder's built-in, general-purpose mic. So keep that in mind on your next video project.

I really hope to capture detailed video and photos of the Overlord sabers if/when I am honored to possess them.

Thanks again to all who, " keep it real, even when fakin' " as i like to say  ;)

at your service,
Bin Adam

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 11:15:48 PM »
If I may be so bold to ask, What is the artwork between your Maul sabers? It looks very interesting, and my being the curious type, I took it upon myself to ask.

I see that you are using it in your avatar as well. Just wondering if we could see a more detailed shot? :)

retrousse