fiduciary

Author Topic: Sentry - An Anniversary Saber by Rogue Custom Sabers  (Read 1727 times)

Offline DarthRaevus

• Master Force User
  • Friendly neighborhood machinist...
Sentry - An Anniversary Saber by Rogue Custom Sabers
« on: August 09, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »
SENTRY

by Rogue Custom Sabers

This saber is sort of special in that it is my first commission saber of sorts.  It was made for a friend of mine's husband, Nick.  They were married last year in Vegas and this weekend is their one year anniversary.  Well, my friend's husband is a big geek and when he found out that I made lightsabers, he was pretty excited.  Most of the last year, he has been working in Florida while his wife, my friend, has been here studying to become a nurse.  So with their anniversary approaching, she asked if I would mind making a saber for Nick.  I agreed and told her that I would do it for the cost of parts as a gift from myself and my girlfriend (they work together).  She had a modest budget which was limiting, but I knew that I could do a sound saber for what she was able to spend.

I felt like the end design looked like a saber that would belong to a Jedi watchman.  A Jedi who was stationed at the fringe of space to enforce justice.  So I thought Sentry was fitting.  As for the construction of the saber, with the NB still not released and (at the time) PC 1.5-.6's selling for $70, an MR board was my only real choice.  Moreover, I wanted to keep the saber simple because that is what worked for monetary reasons as well as practical reasons.  Nick is likely going to just display this saber with his swords or with geek decorations so there was no point to build something that could run for 2 hours and have lots of features when it would likely just push the saber over-budget.  Having said that, the saber is very modular and it would be super easy to replace the MR board with a NB and a removable 18650 later on down the road.  ;D

Here's the specs:

TCSS MHS Hilt w/ custom machining
Seoul P4 Green
Luke ANH MR Board
4.8v NiMH removable battery pack w/ Tenergy cells
Kobitone speaker
Custom paint
Custom faux crystal chamber with 5mm RGB led in polycarbonate crystal (cycles through colors while saber is on)
32" Dual-diffused clear blade

Without further delay, I'll get to the pictures!

What I did do was do A LOT of custom machining to the MHS hilt to make the saber unique.  I also tried my hand at painting and baking which I think turned out really well.  :)

The TCSS BH and pommel in particular turned out good and I'm really happy with the end result.  I ordered the least expensive parts I could to stay in budget, but I wanted the BH to be flared with a choke point like a Canon Bane or a Clan saber so I made a flange and added it to the stock BH #4, then machined the #1 pommel to match and added an O-ring to give it a better profile, color, and grip:

And here's the crystal chamber!  For the crystal I turned a piece of polycarbonate then hand worked and polished it to look like a raw crystal.  Its held in place with a shoulder behind the brass power gate and a 4-40 setscrew on the far side.  I tried to build this saber with rigidity in mind in case it ever gets dueled with.

And misc. build pics:

And even though everyone knows what a MR board sounds like, here's a vid:

Okay FX, sabers I build will be under the name of Rogue Custom Sabers!  Basically, its just me, Josh (DarthRaevus) doing some saber work from time to time like a lot of the fellows on here.   HOWEVER, I'm only opening my doors so to speak on my personal Facebook page and am in NO way sanctioned to take commissions or offer services here on FX-Sabers as I am not in the MC.  These are the rules, I intend to abide by them.  I will mostly be doing this for fun and doing it when I feel like it.  Until such time that I actually get a workshop (with my own machine tools, etc.), I'm stuck doing the custom machine work when time allows at work, that makes it very difficult to maintain serious deadlines.  So, I'll do what I can when I can, and I'll be sharing the results here as they happen.  Or be my friend on Facebook and follow there too.

Thanks for looking!
Happy Sabering!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:01:24 PM by DarthRaevus »

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
Re: Sentry - An Anniversary Saber by Rogue Custom Sabers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:20:33 PM »
Very nice saber  8)

Offline DarthRaevus

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 07:23:19 AM »
Thanks bud!

Maybe one day it'll have a nicer sound board in it and then folks will care to comment on it  :P

Offline DarthAlice880

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »
slick way of mounting the soundboard in apiece of blade ( the internal artist/designer/engineer is already looking to work that into one of my projects)
Thanks!
[img width= height=]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-swtor/d7de3aa0746a70e0.png[/img][/url]

Offline DarthRaevus

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »
Thanks man!

It's hard to see, but its actually a piece of thin plastic that I cut from one of those tubes they use to protect halogen bulbs in industrial applications.  Its really pliable so it just pops on and off and is easy to work with.  I think Madcow uses something similar in his new Ascend sabers.  I'm going to be using that on all slide in chassis from now on.

Offline SithStalker

• Keeper of the red blade
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »
This saber looks really cool! Nice chamber  ;)

Haha... Well, it's a fool's errand, boy. The Emperor's army is infinite. You'll eventually be killed... or worse... and nothing will have changed.

retrousse