fiduciary

Author Topic: Zharrhen's Second Lightsaber  (Read 1896 times)

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
Zharrhen's Second Lightsaber
« on: August 31, 2018, 08:45:30 AM »
Did not expect to be back so soon with a concept for a second lightsaber but I just got so eager after building my first that I started designing another and here I am. My first saber is a rugged beat up OT styled one, so in contrast to that I want this one to be shiny and elegant. having its design be somewhere between old republic style and prequel style. Here's my concept so far:

It uses MHS parts as a base and several constraints I have to work around are the parts threading together and the fact that I want the entire bottom 6 inch extension and pommel to unscrew to reveal the chassis. I am considering using aluminum black to color the inside parts because it looks like a nicer finish than spraypaint but I'm not 100% sure since I've heard its a pain to work with for larger parts.

the sleeve will be made using this material:

It will be sanded so it will have a smooth finish instead of a rough one and it will be polished. I chose this material because it is durable, cheap to have 3D printed, and looks unique without stepping outside of the realm of the star wars style.

Finally, Since I have so much acid leftover from my first saber I'd like to etch a pattern on this one. Nothing too fancy or overpowering, just an organic pattern creeping around the edges of the bottom section and around the screws on the middle. I've watched probably too many tutorials on how to etch with PNP paper so I'm as confident as I can be in my ability to not mess it up. And my girlfriend is a very talented artist so if I bribe her with some fries she'd definitely make a design for me.

Getting the funding for it is a couple of months away and the design is still a WIP so this is just a concept at the moment and I am looking for feedback on my design. Any suggestions for how to make it look nicer? How to make it sturdier? What kind of pattern to etch?

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
Re: Zharrhen's Second Lightsaber
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 09:16:09 AM »
Really really like it. Great design. So unique and classy and sleek.

Can't wait to see how this comes to life

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
  • That lightsaber... is mine!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
One idea is using this http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHSV1-Blade-Holder-Style-25-P809.aspx blade holder instead of the one you are currently using, maybe drill some holes in the slots on top to let some light through. Some knurling or milled cutouts on the bottom black section would look nice too. Very cool design, excited to see how this plays out!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 10:29:32 AM by Seth Skywalker »

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 02:28:53 PM »
Great design Zharrhen!

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 09:28:57 PM »
I like this design too. Especially the 'ramp'? details towards the emitter and the switch; nice alternative to 'bunny ears'.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 06:08:09 PM »
Update 1:

I stumbled into circumstances where I basically have one time free access to CNC services if I provide the materials and shipping costs so the sleeve became much more affordable and will be made from solid aluminum instead of the stainless/bronze alloy I was originally planning on. I also hopped on the proffieboard bandwagon so I'm saving loads of money there too and getting that sweet sweet smoothswing too.

Because I've found ways to significantly lower the cost, I decided that some of that saved money could be thrown towards making my own crystal chamber for the chassis. Cause what's the point of having a reveal saber if its not all fancy inside? Here's what I got so far:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:51:20 PM by zharrhen »

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
  • That lightsaber... is mine!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »
Nice! 👍🏻

Offline djmehs

• No Force
  • Husband, Father, IT Guy, Aspiring Jedi
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 06:08:35 AM »
The design is gorgeous! I think you posted this to the lightsabers subreddit a little while back, right? Asking for some feedback? I love how clean it is, yet the black and silver still have a nice contrast. Looking forward to seeing it become a reality!
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

- Broadside

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 07:49:57 AM »
Sleek and elegant.

-Denzil

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 08:20:22 AM »
Very Nice Zharrhen!

Offline zharrhen

• No Force
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 10:54:33 AM »
Update 2:

had nothing better to do all morning so I worked on it some more till I had the full chassis made. Here's how it looks on its own and in the hilt:

I'm about 70% sure it will fit the electronics. I had to base my measurements off of a bunch of different sources and I don't know how accurate they are so I'm hoping for the best.

retrousse