fiduciary

Author Topic: Noob to FX  (Read 941 times)

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
  • Having fun learning the hobby.
    • My Youtube Channel
Noob to FX
« on: March 10, 2018, 07:41:47 PM »
Greetings all,

My name is Tom Tilmon.  I'm 46.  I've been a Star Wars junkie for 40 of those 46 years.  I love lightsabers.  My first had a blow up tube on the end of a flashlight.  I raised my family, and they broke me.  I am now an empty nester, and had a bit more "play money", if there is such a thing.  Decided to build a 501st Costume.  Initially TK, changed my mind to Kylo Ren TFA.  While I was building my costume, bought the Hasbro Black Series, and was disappointed (to say the least), in how dim and quiet that stock saber was.  I did some research, and set out on my own to make it better.  I did, several times.  All in all, I guess I've done 17 Kylo conversion, not including the one on my bench right now.  I have built MHS Sabers.  I have done other MR/Hasbro conversions.  Basically, I've gone saber mad.  I have wired just about every Plecter Board sans CF.  I have wired every NEC board.  I have also recently installed successfully (including the programming) Teensy V3.  I have also produced 3 Neopixel sabers (MHS Mako and 2 Teensy Kylos).  The Kylos alone required building 6 neopixel blades, including the diffusion.  So, I am deep in the rabbit hole.  Now I care less about the 501st Legion than saber building.  I like the charity troops, but that's about it.  Other than that, I'd rather be building sabers.  I hope to learn even more on these forums, and I have already picked up quite a bit over at TCSS and TRA. 

In the future, I'd love to get a lathe, mill, and some other "less primitive" metal working tools.  I have the talent, but lack the tools.  So, my current metal work is more butchery.  I admire guys like Darth Chasm, Greenie, JediSeth, Thexter, etc. that are doing their own hilts/chassis.  I'm a TCSS junkie, and export most of my "spare money" to them bi-weekly.  I currently have 4 sabers on my bench.  Kylo conversion, Hasbro ANH Graflex conversion, MHS Nihilus (my design) Teensy V3 neopixel, and a Graflex 2.5 (Goth Master Metal) Teensy V3 Neopixel. 

So, that's me.  Now can someone speed up time, alter the harvest or teleport me off this rock? 

Tom

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Re: Noob to FX
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 05:44:06 AM »
Welcome my friend to the forum. We all love the sabers.

retrousse