fiduciary

Author Topic: S.T.R.E.A.M.  (Read 5800 times)

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
S.T.R.E.A.M.
« on: August 03, 2017, 05:58:20 PM »
Behold! My first attempt at hype!

Update: 10/20/2018

Update: 11/4/2018
STREAM Core boards are now an available pre-programmed option on Protowerkstatt sound boards. Follow this thread link for details: STREAM Core
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:18:48 AM by JakeSoft »

Offline Thexter

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: S.T.R.E.A.M.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 09:10:50 AM »
OK, you have my interest. What is the time-frame for revealing more on this?

1. Is it lightsaber related?
2. Is it arduino/diyino related?
3. Java?
4. Have you ported netflix to diyino so that I can finally watch the Great British Baking Show while I duel?
5. Did you put 6 angry koalas in a man suit and teach them to drive a bus?

Those last two may or may not be rampant speculation on my part, and are not based on anything I saw in the video :smiley:

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
OK, you have my interest. What is the time-frame for revealing more on this?

1. Is it lightsaber related?
2. Is it arduino/diyino related?
3. Java?
4. Have you ported netflix to diyino so that I can finally watch the Great British Baking Show while I duel?
5. Did you put 6 angry koalas in a man suit and teach them to drive a bus?

Those last two may or may not be rampant speculation on my part, and are not based on anything I saw in the video :smiley:

1 & 2. I invite you to visit my YouTube channel. Watch all the videos and see if you notice a pattern. ;-)
3. Yup.
4. Hmm... maybe next time.
5. I'm doing a lot of is work on Endor, so all I could find is an Ewok. He wasn't into it and had a pointy stick, so no go on that one.

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 06:18:27 AM »
I'll take that as 'yups' for 1, 2, 3, then...

...of course, I'm scratching my head to think what words the initials from the S.T.R.E.A.M. acronym could be, as you no doubt fiendishly intended...  :evil:

S - Saber? Software?
T - ???
R - Realtime? Responsive? Reactive?
E - ???
A - Arduino? Amplifier?
M - Mixing? Motion?

...I dunno...

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 07:34:13 AM »
I feel like I have some vague ideas of what this could be, but I'm on the edge of my seat now!

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »
Me too, don't leave us in the darkness for much longer!!! I had actually the same questions as Sethski when I wantched the video, enough to picque interest without prematurely disclosing any intimate detail, well done  :cheesy:

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 07:36:34 PM »
Me too, don't leave us in the darkness for much longer!!! I had actually the same questions as Sethski when I wantched the video, enough to picque interest without prematurely disclosing any intimate detail, well done  :cheesy:

Well, I guess since Obi_1 asked, I *have* to post it up, right?  :smiley:

OP is updated with a new video that reveals all.

Keep in mind that this is alpha-revision proof-of-concept stage stuff. I think it shows pretty well in the video, but there is still plenty of work left to do. However, any early feedback is welcome.

Offline Thexter

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »
Neat stuff!

I'm not super familiar with the various OS offerings for diyino, but are the timings (specifically blade extension and retraction) global, or are there per-font settings for those?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 04:13:13 PM »
The later LSOS versions have working per font timing that works for pixels, strings and high power LEDs. This is something new that Jake cooked up though!

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 05:24:49 PM »
Neat stuff!

I'm not super familiar with the various OS offerings for diyino, but are the timings (specifically blade extension and retraction) global, or are there per-font settings for those?

Thanks!

As jbkuma said, the "OS" (sketch) shown in this video is its own thing. It's not yet publicly available. I built it from the ground up with STREAM™ support in mind. I had to invent some things and recycle others from various saber sketches I've done over the years. There is really a lot to it. Jumping between C++ and Java and keeping everything in sync was a challenge. Especially true when you can't use serial debugging because the PC app is already using the COM port to communicate with the saber! It's not for the faint of heart, but I think it was worth it.

I intend for the timing settings to be per-font eventually. Adding multi-font support was one of the "plenty of work left to do" things I mentioned in a previous post. Currently, it only handles one font so it's a bit of a non-issue. Gotta crawl before you walk.

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 12:07:06 AM »
Great to see! Good for everyone, and hopefully adds to the appeal and accessibility of Arduino-based solutions for a wider potential user base.

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 04:24:32 PM »
Very nice!

I have to say that the DIYino with LSOS (or FX-SaberOS) should already be considered a wide open solution for all users. You don’t need any prior knowledge about Arduino, nor programming. The more you know, the more you can take advantage of the flexibility, but it is amazing how much that already is implemented. This software will make it even more user-friendly and I want to thank you all for the work that you put in to this.

Concerning S.T.R.E.A.M; I have only worked with string-blades and maybe the brightness parameter could be included. I will set it fairly low to start with and then measure the voltage drop for all the segments. Since brightness is important, I will have to change the parameter, upload the sketch and measure again and so on... until I reach a reasonable (and safe) voltage. It would be nice if the changes could be made instantaneously.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »

We prayed for easy sound font conversion for Arduino Sabers and Jake provided us with a tool to do it,

Afterwards we prayed for rice and Jake gave us something even better: a stream of goodies!!!

I keep praying... I already foresee a whole lot of things to do when I return from my vacation! Thanks Jake!

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 05:40:07 PM »
Very nice!

I have to say that the DIYino with LSOS (or FX-SaberOS) should already be considered a wide open solution for all users. You don’t need any prior knowledge about Arduino, nor programming. The more you know, the more you can take advantage of the flexibility, but it is amazing how much that already is implemented. This software will make it even more user-friendly and I want to thank you all for the work that you put in to this.

Concerning S.T.R.E.A.M; I have only worked with string-blades and maybe the brightness parameter could be included. I will set it fairly low to start with and then measure the voltage drop for all the segments. Since brightness is important, I will have to change the parameter, upload the sketch and measure again and so on... until I reach a reasonable (and safe) voltage. It would be nice if the changes could be made instantaneously.
Thanks for the kind words.

My intended target is the Stardust board, so string blade support hasn't been a priority, but I could be bribed to make some kind of segment tuning app like you describe.  :wink:

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 03:49:01 AM »
I understand that “String-blade users” is a really small target group now, especially with Neopixels. The effort to make the app is probably more than what I (and a few more) need to make the tuning manually.   :laugh:

retrousse