fiduciary

Author Topic: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board  (Read 91567 times)

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
Re: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board
« Reply #240 on: May 19, 2017, 03:33:01 PM »
You shouldn't. I've been using mine for almost a year now with no problems.
Keep an eye on it next time you charge though. It shouldn't take more than a few hours, so don't leave it over night. Check the voltages and make sure nothing is heating up while charging.

I will keep an eye on it. Yes I only put it on charge for 2 hours or so. I will keep a better eye on it, while charging.

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #241 on: May 20, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »
When buying soundfonts which do you recommend for the teensysaber NEC(polyphonic) or Plectar(monophomic)? I know teensysaber will support both.

Which do you use ?

Regards,

GMcIvor 

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #242 on: May 20, 2017, 05:43:51 PM »
For me it depends more on how they sound than what kind of font it is.
Generally speaking, I think that polyphonic fonts are better than monophonic ones though.
I don't think anybody is offering fonts with looped swing sounds yet, which is too bad, because I highly recommend it.

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #243 on: May 20, 2017, 05:46:22 PM »
Generally speaking, I think that polyphonic fonts are better than monophonic ones though.
I don't think anybody is offering fonts with looped swing sounds yet, which is too bad, because I highly recommend it.

Oh okay, why do you recommended looped swing sounds ? Better sound overall?

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2017, 09:04:45 PM »

I like the looped swing sounds because the motion of the saber directly affects the sound.
The feedback that you get from the saber makes it feel much more "real" than discrete swing sounds.
Also, it sounds great. :)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2017, 09:07:18 PM »
New lightsaber.ino upload, version 1.89
Got a cool new templated system that makes it easier to build blade styles. I've updated the website to outline how to do it: Teensy Saber OS (beta)

I'm going to try to make some videos this weekend to show off it off.

Video made:

The colors aren't quite right, and even though I turned down exposure a LOT, many colors still come out pretty much white.
However, the reflection in the glass table really helps sometimes. :)

In order:
Cyan blade
Blue with white tip extension
Red fire blade
Red blade
Blue fire
Green blade which starts white and fades to green.
White blade
Yellow blade
Purple blade with white tip extension
Red-Blue gradient blade
Rainbow blade

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #246 on: May 20, 2017, 11:36:15 PM »

I like the looped swing sounds because the motion of the saber directly affects the sound.
The feedback that you get from the saber makes it feel much more "real" than discrete swing sounds.
Also, it sounds great. :)

That makes all the difference. Hopefully more people makes fonts like that :)

Great video of the blade configurations! very neat to see them all. I also like the sports almanac under the table! Back to the future 2! :)

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #247 on: May 21, 2017, 12:44:12 AM »
I've released a new version of lightsaber.ino (1.93) which fixes a couple of audio bugs and and makes the in/out animations work better when used quickly.

Next I'm probably going to work on cleaning up the button handling, as there are some bugs there. Also, it's probably time to implement a lockup mode.

Offline Obi-Ken Wanobi

• No Force
  • Help me Obi-Ken... you're my only hope.
« Reply #248 on: May 22, 2017, 04:34:12 PM »
Profezzorn, How import is the value of the blade ID resistor?  I'm building a blade using WS2811 compatible LED strips and your instructions call for an 8.2K resistor for blade identification.  The closest resistor I have on hand is a 10K one and I don't intend to have more than one blade.  Also, I see the "#define NUM_BLADES 1" statement in the lightsaber-1.86.ino code and have found the id() function where blade identification takes place but I don't quite understand how the blade identification resistor value matches up to the blade ID.  Can you explain?

Thanks again for all your work on this project!

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #249 on: May 22, 2017, 04:58:35 PM »
Profezzorn, How import is the value of the blade ID resistor?  I'm building a blade using WS2811 compatible LED strips and your instructions call for an 8.2K resistor for blade identification.  The closest resistor I have on hand is a 10K one and I don't intend to have more than one blade.  Also, I see the "#define NUM_BLADES 1" statement in the lightsaber-1.86.ino code and have found the id() function where blade identification takes place but I don't quite understand how the blade identification resistor value matches up to the blade ID.  Can you explain?

Thanks again for all your work on this project!

Note that NUM_BLADES defines how many blades you intend to have connected at the at the same time, so just leave that one alone for now. :)

What you want to do is to modify the blades array to only contain one entry for each blade you have. Since you only have one blade, there will only be one entry and the code will always choose that entry, regardless of the blade ID resistor. If you only have one blade, the blade ID resistor serves no purpose and can be omitted.

If you have multiple blades, you can still choose whatever resistors you want for the blade ID, as long as you adjust the blades array to match. The code that actually chooses the right entry from the blades array is in Saber::FindBlade if you want to take a look.

Offline Obi-Ken Wanobi

• No Force
  • Help me Obi-Ken... you're my only hope.
« Reply #250 on: May 22, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »
Note that NUM_BLADES defines how many blades you intend to have connected at the at the same time, so just leave that one alone for now. :)

What you want to do is to modify the blades array to only contain one entry for each blade you have. Since you only have one blade, there will only be one entry and the code will always choose that entry, regardless of the blade ID resistor. If you only have one blade, the blade ID resistor serves no purpose and can be omitted.

If you have multiple blades, you can still choose whatever resistors you want for the blade ID, as long as you adjust the blades array to match. The code that actually chooses the right entry from the blades array is in Saber::FindBlade if you want to take a look.

I found the BladeConfig_blades[] section which contains an ifdef for ENABLE_WS2811.  Based on what I see there I would need to still use a unique resistor for my WS2811 string blade 144 LEDs blade (10K in my case) and my charging adapter... correct?

Thanks again for your help.  :grin:

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #251 on: May 22, 2017, 07:14:14 PM »

I found the BladeConfig_blades[] section which contains an ifdef for ENABLE_WS2811.  Based on what I see there I would need to still use a unique resistor for my WS2811 string blade 144 LEDs blade (10K in my case) and my charging adapter... correct?

Thanks again for your help.  :grin:

That is correct. A active charging adapter (which turns the saber on while charging) counts as a separate blade, and needs it's own blade ID resistor.

A passive charging adapter, or a charging port wired into the hilt does not need it's own ID.

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #252 on: May 23, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »
So I put it all together and it works great, just a couple questions. I bought some sound fonts from saberfont.com and when I put them on they seem to be very quiet. I can barely hear the hum of some but the effects are loud on, off, clash.

Also When I press the button and clash to switch a preset sometimes it will give me two beeps. So it is skipping two presets ahead rather then one.

I also have 23 boot sounds in the boot folder that it will play on stop up (I have it set to display the battery voltage on boot). But it likes to always pick boot6 (I can change any font to boot6 and it will play that font) I am wondering how to make it pick any one of the 23 boot sounds I have. if that is possible that is. If not no big deal... 

Any ideas?

I'm in the home stretch I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Regards,

GMcIvor
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:11:36 PM by gmcivor »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2017, 02:47:46 PM »
So I put it all together and it works great, just a couple questions. I bought some sound fonts from saberfont.com and when I put them on they seem to be very quiet. I can barely hear the hum of some but the effects are loud on, off, clash.

What font(s) are you using?
I'm doing some work on the sound code right now, and I've realized that the volume
is a bit of a mess. Originally I lowered the volume of the hum to make room to make it
louder when you swing the saber around, which might be part of the problem.

The other problem may be that NEC fonts have some volume settings which I have not implemented
yet, so I need to look into that.

Also When I press the button and clash to switch a preset sometimes it will give me two beeps. So it is skipping two presets ahead rather then one.

I should probably make the time minimum time between clashes a bit longer.
As it is it is only 0.1s. You can easily change it yourself too, just find the line that
says:
Code: [Select]
if (t - last_clash < 100) return; and change it. (100 is in milliseconds.)

I also have 23 boot sounds in the boot folder that it will play on stop up (I have it set to display the battery voltage on boot). But it likes to always pick boot6 (I can change any font to boot6 and it will play that font) I am wondering how to make it pick any one of the 23 boot sounds I have. if that is possible that is. If not no big deal... 

Any ideas?

I'm in the home stretch I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Interesting. That's what happen when you use a pseudo-random generator without seeding it.
Ideally I'd use the motion chip to get some random data to feed into the random generator, but the motion chip takes a little while to initiate, so I might have to look for another source of randomness.

I will post updates as problems are worked out.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #254 on: May 23, 2017, 08:13:02 PM »
I will post updates as problems are worked out.

I have a version that fixes the random boot sounds and the double-preset-skip problems.
I have not fixed the volume issues yet. (It would be helpful to know what font you used...)
Anyways, it's not very well tested yet, so I haven't uploaded it to my site yet, but if you want
to try it out, you can get it here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/profezzorn/TeensySaber/master/lightsaber.ino

retrousse