fiduciary

Author Topic: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board  (Read 91603 times)

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
Re: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board
« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2017, 10:51:25 PM »
For now I think they are going to be $60 each. (without teensy)
I'd love to make them cheaper, but I need to order larger volumes to do that, which is expensive. :(

I was expecting in that ballpark and I think that's pretty reasonable. Look forward to hearing more!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2017, 05:08:00 AM »
Thats still not to bad considering the cost od the propshield, sd card reader, and powerboost is quite abit as well.

Yeah bulk orders are expensive. You could always try a presale then use the money to order a substantial bulk making it cheaper. Are you ordering from oshpark then making them or getting a company to make them ?

Regards,

GMcIvor
FYI, Pre-sales are only to be conducted on this forum by members of the Mining Colony or SABER Guild. Anyone else would be in violation of the forum's Trade federation Rules and Regulations,  and would be subject to disciplinary measures.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »
FYI, Pre-sales are only to be conducted on this forum by members of the Mining Colony or SABER Guild. Anyone else would be in violation of the forum's Trade federation Rules and Regulations,  and would be subject to disciplinary measures.

I'm aware.
My plan is to pay for the initial run myself and sell boards at a modest profit. That profit would go towards increased run sizes, which would help reduce prices in the future. Strong sales would also boost my interested in developing new boards and software features. I'm already envisioning a TeensySaber V3 which integrates the teensy onto the board itself. :)

Strangely, the part that excites me the most about all of this is interacting with people who are using it. Basically I think the customer support will be fun. (I think there must be something wrong with me...)

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
« Reply #213 on: May 15, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »
So, I built the full length blade and the LED's do not turn off... Attached you will find the pictures of the connector (http://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwqZ0qtAgdt_OVE0Qk4wamppdFk). I used a 100 ohm resistor to prevent data leech, and a 3.3 kohm resistor for the blade ID. This was entered in the to blade array. When I get a chance I am going to check the blade ID and resistance in the serial monitor..

Regards,

GMcIvor
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:26:09 AM by gmcivor »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2017, 11:24:49 AM »
So, I built the full length blade and the LED's do not turn off... Attached you will find the pictures of the connector (http://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwqZ0qtAgdt_OVE0Qk4wamppdFk). I used a 100 ohm resistor to prevent data leech, and a 3.3 kohm resistor for the blade ID. This was entered in the to blade array. When I get a chance I am going to check the blade ID and resistance in the serial monitor..

Regards,

GMcIvor

The connector end looks good, but I'm not sure about the LED hookup. The pictures aren't quite enough to show me what is hoked up to what, but it looks a little suspicious to me. Are you sure the yellow lead is hooked up to DI (data-in) on the LED?

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2017, 11:34:13 AM »

Regards,

GMcIvor

The connector end looks good, but I'm not sure about the LED hookup. The pictures aren't quite enough to show me what is hoked up to what, but it looks a little suspicious to me. Are you sure the yellow lead is hooked up to DI (data-in) on the LED?

Yes, I am sure it is. I checked the pin out on the ones I bought and it seems to be correct here is the link to them (PL9823 F8;8mm round hat RGB LED with P9823 chipset inside;full color;frosted-in) . I added pictures of the connections to the LED. I also added pictures of the blade ID from the serial monitor. One thing that is not expected is the 2 led blade has a blade id of 2.2kohm and the long blade of 3.3kohm. When I plug the full blade in it says its the two LED blade (see pictures http://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwqZ0qtAgdt_OVE0Qk4wamppdFk)

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2017, 12:16:14 PM »

Regards,

GMcIvor

Yes, I am sure it is. I checked the pin out on the ones I bought and it seems to be correct here is the link to them (PL9823 F8;8mm round hat RGB LED with P9823 chipset inside;full color;frosted-in) . I added pictures of the connections to the LED. I also added pictures of the blade ID from the serial monitor. One thing that is not expected is the 2 led blade has a blade id of 2.2kohm and the long blade of 3.3kohm. When I plug the full blade in it says its the two LED blade (see pictures http://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwqZ0qtAgdt_OVE0Qk4wamppdFk)

Regards,

GMcIvor

Ok, this is going to hurt....
That page is super-confusing.
The headline says PL9823, but there are no less than three different pin-assignments listed on that page.
One is for PL9823, one is for PL9834, and the third one I have no idea what it's for.

If we assume that you got what you ordered, (which I'm going to assume is PL9823) then only the image containing the PL9823 datasheet is correct. (PDF here: https://cdn.instructables.com/ORIG/FW0/YN1X/IHDUL683/FW0YN1XIHDUL683.pdf) This datasheet specifies that DIN is next to VCC, which is not how you have it hooked up in the image.

Assuming that PL9823 is in fact what you have, and all you did was to get DIN and DOUT backwards, you can fix it by turning your string around and feeding in the data from the other end...

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #217 on: May 15, 2017, 12:45:22 PM »
WAHOO!!! IT WORKS!! that was the problem. So now I know how to fix it for future reference. Okay, How do I change presets with the single button I held the power button down and put the clash and it stayed blue...

But I am so happy I have the lights working!!!

when I activate clash on the serial monitor it works great. but when I activate from the saber. some of the LED's go different colors. in a small section of the blade. I will take video and show you. It also sometimes does it on first power on when I plug the blade in.

Regards,

GMcIvor
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:56:56 PM by gmcivor »

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #218 on: May 15, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »
I figured out the rainbow issue. One if the LEDS was dim and I think shorting. But i straighten out the wire and bam, solved that issue. :)

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #219 on: May 15, 2017, 01:42:05 PM »
Nice progress!

Changing presets: hold power and whack the saber (clash). You should hear a short beep and the *previous* preset should be selected. (If it's at the first one, it will go to the last one.) You can also type "next preset" or "prev preset" in the serial monitor to change preset.
If that doesn't work, post your blades and presets arrays.

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #220 on: May 15, 2017, 01:43:13 PM »
Does the saber have to be on or off to change presets when holding the power and the clash.

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »
Off.

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #222 on: May 15, 2017, 01:55:40 PM »
That works in the serial monitor and on the saber itself.

Thanks for all your help. This was a long trouble shooting process. Having you to ask question made the process a lot easier :). I will post pictures when I finishes assembling the whole thing. Now my students and other students in the school can see what I have been working on since February. Hopefully they will sign up for my courses :)

Then I will start the next one :)

Regards,

GMcIvor
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:06:32 PM by gmcivor »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #223 on: May 16, 2017, 07:14:56 PM »
Strangely, the part that excites me the most about all of this is interacting with people who are using it. Basically I think the customer support will be fun. (I think there must be something wrong with me...)

I'm not really going to comment on this, I'm just going to quote this here.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #224 on: May 16, 2017, 11:43:56 PM »
New lightsaber.ino upload, version 1.89
Got a cool new templated system that makes it easier to build blade styles. I've updated the website to outline how to do it: Teensy Saber OS (beta)

I'm going to try to make some videos this weekend to show off it off.

retrousse