fiduciary

Author Topic: The MKVI Yuma Stunt: **ACCURATE CONTROL BOX UPDATE 7-18-13**  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
Once upon a time, there was a prop master for Return of The Jedi named Peter Hancock. He made lots of different sabers for Luke Skywalker to use. We know these as the Hero, V2 and V3, or shared stunts. However, there was one forgotten saber that was sort of lost in the shuffle. It had a very important part in the film, with it getting extensive usage on Jabba The Hutt's sail barge and the decimation of his minions. It is has become know as the Yuma Stunt.

Think of the Yuma Stunt as a hybrid of the Hero and V3. Heavily modded clamp section, tri ring and chipped copper neck, lightly weathered. Looks as though it was just tossed in a bag and taken from location to location, and used for practice mostly.

There are not many pics of the Yuma stunt that are around, and most are screen shots.

My MKVI was therefore turned into the only functional thin necked Yuma Stunt that I know of. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

MKVI hilt weathered by LDM/GG with aluminum neck optimized for dueling and saberplay.
CF 4.31 with Tri-Rebel GGW with FoC
7.4 V 14650 pack
2w Bass speaker
Special "Yuma" boot package (sound bank boots by Dark Navel & menu, menubgnd, iSaber by Caine)

Fonts:
Novastar: Ep. VI Classic, Ep. IV Training Bot
Madcow: Hero
Juansith: MKVI HD, Ep VI Legends
Lord Blako, Link, Machinimax, Nightstorm: Form V Djem-So/Shien

Video

Vid doesn't have FoC. Just added it 7/2/13 and am too lazy to film another one. You all know what a green FoCl saber looks like by now, lol

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:18:29 AM by Caine »

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
Re: The MKVI Yuma Stunt
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »
Only you...  ::)

Seriously though... it came out great! I know you've been talking about this one for a while.  ;D

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline Yukiel

• Master Force User
  • LAKES FLOATING IN SPACE!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:36:47 PM »
Now that is awesome.

Am I alive or dead?
rip sabers

Offline Nick Knight

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:41:52 PM »
very cool!
"A correction added to one’s store of knowledge. It was a thing to be grateful for, not something to take offense at. "
"Choose what is right, not what is easy"

Offline Sidd

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:23:41 PM »
So Caine if its a stunt saber why did you put a sound card in it?   HAR HAR!  :P :P :P :P :P :P

Nice saber BTW  ;) ;) ;) ;)
User requested permanent ban 03/14/14

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:34:02 PM »
To me, this is the best kind of Luke saber. Copper neck, and weathered. Gorgeous.
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline Darthlwin

• Master Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »
That's an awesome saber!

I thought that the copper card was a must in the Luke ROTJ saber, but apparently it looks great without it!

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 09:51:18 PM »
Nice dude! Funny, I was just taking blu ray screen caps the other day of the Yuma stunt. ^_^

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »
Nice dude! Funny, I was just taking blu ray screen caps the other day of the Yuma stunt. ^_^

LMK if you got any better quality pics, please!  :)

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »
Added FoC.

I didn't do it originally because I didn't have a PeX lying around and have been too lazy to order one. Apparently I did have one, but just couldn't see it in my mess of a workbench.  :-[

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 07:56:13 PM »
Well, pony pucks!

The MicroSD holder got jacked up, so it's off for repair.

In the meantime, I will use this opportunity to make the control box area more accurate, and say bye bye to the Graflex clamp. Got the parts on order and should resemble the box in the pics much closer.

Stay tuned.

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 12:17:32 AM »
OK, update on the part that bugged me the most: The control box.

Since the board was out of the saber for repairs, I decided to take the time to re-think the control box and think of ways to make it more accurate like the limited pics.

Graflex clamps have been a part of every Luke V2 and V3 I have owned because that is what the original props had on them. Of course with the Yuma, no matter how much I looked at the pics, none of them seemed to show an actual clamp, modded or otherwise. What I saw was the propmaster saying:

"I don't have any of those clamps that I can find, so I am just going to make my own. I'll make a band, then a box of sorts and then just bolt the box down to the hilt and it will be done. I'll fashion a lever for the side and that will complete the look. It's not going to matter because no one is going to look at the details anyways."

well... ::)

So I decided to start with a TCSS box style 8. But when it arrived, I found it was too big to fit around the hilt. So I decided to try my hand on making it fit. So we started here:

And then I filled in the gap with clear epoxy, and when it dried, sanded it down with my Dremel.

I then painted it with a metallic paint, sanded it and down, lightly weathered it and clear coated it.

Not at all "perfect" but no Luke ROTJ saber prop is at all perfect. Look at the ones on saberwiki. (http://www.lightsaberarchives.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/saberwiki:swcreators:luke_skywalker) Tons of imperfections, dents, cracks, and downright sloppy paint jobs. It's what gives them character. "Perfect imperfections" as I call them. So in that case, that cover up of the gap came out perfect to me.

For the lever, I took an MR Vader faux MPP lever (I felt it matched the pictured one closest) and sanded it down so it wasn't so shiny, and used that. Again, my goal was to make it look fashioned on the fly. So here is the original pic next to my pic.

I think I got it pretty darn close. For the card, I just pained a standard TCSS card metallic, sanded it down to a dull finish and then drilled holes for the screws. Easy peasey. I may change them to black as they look that way in the pics, but you get the idea.

Once the CF comes back and I re-install it. I will post a final video.

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
Re: The MKVI Yuma Stunt: **ACCURATE CONTROL BOX UPDATE 7-18-13**
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 04:00:44 PM »
Nice match on that Caine! You are truly the Luke V2/V3/Yuma stunt Master!

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Re: The MKVI Yuma Stunt: **ACCURATE CONTROL BOX UPDATE 7-18-13**
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 04:24:16 PM »
 :o :o

wow nice saber indeed!! 8)

Offline Caine

• Master Force User