fiduciary

Author Topic: Caine's review of Darth Bane Curved Saber #2  (Read 5947 times)

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
Caine's review of Darth Bane Curved Saber #2
« on: January 20, 2012, 01:27:32 AM »
Darth Bane Curved Saber #2 - Caine's Sithly weapon of choice...a review.

Back in early 2009 when I was new to the hobby, I was browsing YouTube when I came across a video of an Obi Wan Kenobi ANH saber, built by this dude named Madcow of Genesis Custom Sabers. It was when I first saw what a Crystal Focus LED saber was and it was also the video that made me want one. Excitement brewed and although I never really thought I would be able to own one of his amazing pieces of art, I would just happy to just own ANY nice saber with a CF. From there, the addiction to LED sabers grew, forums were joined, saber combat techniques developed and shared, and now here it is 2012 and once again, I find myself just as excited as I was then as I hold this Genesis Custom Sabers creation in my hands…again, because I never thought I would be able to own one.

The Hilt

Well, this was the first thing that made me even want this saber in the first place. Being an admirer of Madcow’s work I have always liked his hilts, but never have I liked one as much as this. It’s sheer, imposing look is just what you would think that the weapon of a brute like Bane would carry. The hooks on each end just seem to say “Impale your opponent with a saber blade or one of these...your choice of course, but the blade may actually be a little less painful.”

Of course the Krayt Bone handle is the main attraction. With it’s organic look, it just gives the weapon the feel that it was put together with the utmost care, but at the same time from salvaged materials that could be able to withstand the fierce battles the lightsaber would no doubt endure.

The overall feel of the hilt is incredibly comfortable. I have never really wielded a curved hilt before, and this feels just as comfortable as any other hilt that I own. Not a hilt that is meant to be used for spinning inasmuch as straight up no nonsense saberplay. I see this saber utilizing the saber styles Djem-So and Juyo respectively…which are by no means known for flash, rather than brutal, to the point striking slicing and bludgeoning techniques. A Sith Lord like Bane would have it no other way.

The Chamber

One of the things that make Madcow’s sabers so incredible is his detail to the inside of the saber. The bargraph and synth-crystal are spectacular in every sense of the word (I have never owned a saber with a bargraph, nor a true “reveal” chassis). With his new font “Calibrate” it just makes it all the more like you are truly “fine tuning” your saber.

Expect an open martial arts form this summer...

I look forward to creating a martial arts open form that is very straightforward and reminiscent of  something from Shinkendo (I have a good friend who is a grandmaster in that art) and I look forward to getting her input on a form.

To finish, Rob I just want to thank you again for making this run happen. As I said in a recent email to him, if I were not a member of the LED saber community and saw this hilt, I would automatically assume that it was made by a professional, big company like MR or eFX...but being a part of the community and knowing exactly what goes into saber building, I can safely say that a professional prop building company could NOT have made this saber with the detail, craftsmanship and design the way he did.

Cheers Madcow...and once again thank you!

Video Part 1

Video Part 2

Offline Darthlwin

• Master Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Caine's review of Darth Bane Curved Saber #2
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 01:40:13 AM »
Congrats dude. That really does seem like a fantastic saber to have in any saber collection.

Offline Dark Underlord

• Formerly known as bk_renesis
  • Force User
  • The Darkness is calling me...
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 02:47:49 AM »
Just stunning. Bane would be proud!

"The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Offline Simpi-Gon Sims

• "I'll bring the popcorn"
  • Master Force User
    • Simpi Sabers
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:50:23 AM »
 :D :D :D

Jealous! Looking forward to the new "form"  ;)
"It's not broken, it's a feature."

Offline jetsaber

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:43:27 AM »
Thanks Caine : The review and videos were great  8)

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »
Thanks for the review Caine, I enjoyed reading it very much :) haven't had a chance to check out your videos yet as I don't have much Internet access while I'm away. When I get home though I'll be sure to check them out!

Glad you're enjoying the saber, I can't wait to get mine!

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »
Excellent review Caine, and cool video(s).  Even the great black mat has not been spared the wrath of Darth Bane!   8)

Looking forward to learning more about the new form too.   ;)

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 11:39:41 PM »

Looking forward to learning more about the new form too.   ;)

Me, too. Although I have created my own open forms many times, I want something from Shinkendo that is just no nonsense and to the point...and just plain brutal. It's gotta fit this saber perfectly, and I know my friend will not disappoint when she shows me.

Offline Deedzor

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 04:06:21 AM »
Well being new to the hobby myself I must say that this really is an amazing saber, I could picture one of these pieces of art in my trophy room next to my 2 LDM sabers.

Maybe one day....... :)

Custom machined V2 with PC by LDM
Dark Jedi Luke/Obi hybrid with PC by LDM
JSS Starkiller #10/10 with CF v4.2 with FoC

Offline djobitwan7

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 06:26:29 AM »
Once you learn it, make sure to download those killer skillz directly to our brains. Matrix style. Oh yeah, they can do something similar for real now. Scary. Great review Caine. I missed this run & one day I will own a Madcow design.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »
Beautiful saber and nice review and reveal videos.

that thing is awesome  :)

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
  • Sith...they mostly come out at night. Mostly.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
Caine -- you know how to do reviews man.  This saber is unbelievable.

Offline Caine

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »
Here are a few fun pics.

Hmmm, I feel a Darth Bane costume coming on this year for Halloween... :D

Offline Deceptae

• Force User
  • Power, Passion, Strength
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »
2 things:
1) you look like buff Picard. with a lightsaber. pretty much how I invision Darth Bane in the books.
2) Y U No do spinning vid? I want to see someone spinning this bad boy!
...The Force Shall Set Me Free.

retrousse