fiduciary

Author Topic: A Light Focusing Solution Thread  (Read 24322 times)

Offline forcejunkie530

• Experienced Force User
Re: A Light Focusing Solution Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »
Found that link last night with a material with 98% reflectivness that could be very useful for a custom lens build
My Sabers
2. Ultrasabers Steel Stunt Lux lll Amber
3. Ultrasabers Steel Stunt Lux lll Red
4.. My Custom Makototsai MK-F Series with Cyan added (coming next week!)

Offline Sunrider

• Unlimited Brightness!!! RRROOAARRR!!!
  • Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 01:54:01 PM »
I don't see any link.  ???... 

Topic reopened. Feel free to add your opinions or findings on the matter. Please keep in mind that this thread is meant to help people understand different solutions so try to be clear and objective when presenting information. And please use pictures that are a good representation of your point of view.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 02:19:56 PM »
Found that link last night with a material with 98% reflectivness that could be very useful for a custom lens build

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but wouldn't a 98% reflectiveness be more useful for reflectors than a custom lens build? For a lens you would ideally want the highest possible transmission through the lens not reflection from it? In a custom assembly combining lenses and reflectors that might be useful for part of it though.

Maybe someday we'll be going to full multiple element focusing assemblies...afterall in KOTOR their lightsabers use THREE crystals to focus the blade so it would be kind of amusing 'from a certain point of view' if our hobby also ended up with multiple lenses in a base with collet adjustable reflector and adjustable focal length like a telescope/microscope/camera or other optical instrument.

Then again it would have to be rugged enough to withstand dueling impacts so maybe adjustable optics might not be practical for our purposes afterall?

Interesting times ahead I'm sure...
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Darth Abominor

• No Force
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »
From my experience, Lens setups are far more pleasing to the eye when throwing light up a big poly-c tube. :)

Offline Tylermus Maximus

• No Force
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 03:13:24 PM »

Offline Merana33

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »
I didn't see this recorded anywhere, so I figured I'd toss it up. Sorry if I missed it.
With these new Ledengin LED's that are becoming so popular it -is- possible to use Luxeon lenses and P4 carriers for them.
You'll need to trim the 'arms' that wrap around the LED itself. Make sure you trim them as close to the posts as you can, because otherwise that little tab will end up pressing (and possibly breaking) a teeny SMD component on the star pcb.

Based on some CAD sketching I've done, it looks like the sweet spot for lens angles is right around the 9.37 degree mark, so the 8.7 degree lens that's sold by TCSS seems to be a pretty solid bet on a 1" blade width. Now keep in mind that I'm not taking into account the optical properties of the blade itself or any diffraction film that's being used, so these are pretty 'ideal world' numbers.

Here are the numbers I used: (dimensions were taken from a MHS blade holder style 13)
Blade width: 1.00"
Lens Aperture: 0.700"
Blade holder depth: 0.830"
Blade Length: 36.000"
"Hey cool! It works! Now if I can just keep it from exploding..."

Build in progress:
MHS hilt
Igniter 1.1 board SN:101-001-00000003

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 01:25:06 PM »
im pretty sure everyone already knows this but i won't assume it... by moving a lens further away from the LED many of them will focus the light into a narrow beam, at least the few i have tried have, and it required just 2- 3mm to really make the difference ,....thoughts or other observations on this would be interesting. 8)

Offline Wong Yoon Wei

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »
While that's true with a magnifying glass,  our lens somehow doesn't work that way. In fact I can say in full certainty that the lens we use work better as close to the done as possible.

Reason being I recently upgraded my MHS V2 to a CF5 with LedEngin and by using the ledengin lens holder sold at TCSS, the brightness is kinda disappointing. It's really bright near the emitter but fades out quite a bit as it goes up the blade.

Hence in desperation I remove the lens from the holder and just stuck the lens right on top of the dome and it works perfectly. Now it's really bright and lit the blade evenly.

I believe this has to the with the fact that our lens has a "hole" at the bottom for the dome to spread light in. If a lens sits to high, light doesn't quite all go into that "hole" and as a result, we get less brightness.

Also, LedEngin somehow doesn't really like the transwhite blade. I get much better result with the standard blade. I reckon it will be even better with the VV style dual diffused  blade.

HFX Anakin ROTS Rebel Blue

Offline Sunrider

• Unlimited Brightness!!! RRROOAARRR!!!
  • Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:23 PM »
While that's true with a magnifying glass,  our lens somehow doesn't work that way. In fact I can say in full certainty that the lens we use work better as close to the done as possible.

I disagree. All lens and reflector/ LED combinations are different in regard to positioning. As a basic rule of thumb for me a lens does best with about 60% of a die visible in the center portion and 40% visible in the outer portion, though we rarely see this good balance let alone both inner and outer portions focusing the die surface forward.

Here is a pic I will add showing a good example of how a reflector should show the die when viewed straight on. This is a flash lite I bought recently. he textured surface is not great for saber purposes but notice how yellow is visible in all but in the very inner part of the reflector. That inner area is where the reflector sits below the level of the die, so it transfers no light from the die.

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 06:02:54 AM »
this is pretty much what im discovering as regards different lens goes, the only reflector i have but not yet tried is an old AA maglite... whatever lens OR reflector you can get its certainly worth looking at before disgarding as unsuitable.

Offline Wong Yoon Wei

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 09:45:32 PM »
  I disagree. All lens and reflector/ LED combinations are different in regard to positioning. As a basic rule of thumb for me a lens does best with about 60% of a die visible in the center portion and 40% visible in the outer portion, though we rarely see this good balance let alone both inner and outer portions focusing the die surface forward.

Here is a pic I will add showing a good example of how a reflector should show the die when viewed straight on. This is a flash lite I bought recently. he textured surface is not great for saber purposes but notice how yellow is visible in all but in the very inner part of the reflector. That inner area is where the reflector sits below the level of the die, so it transfers no light from the die.

In this regard, do you think it is better to use a holder with ledengin instead cause with a holder, the lens sits like 1mm higher. While my tests are in no way scientific, it looks brighter to me with the lens sitting directly on the dome without a holder.

HFX Anakin ROTS Rebel Blue

Offline yell0w_lantern

• No Force
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 06:31:59 AM »
I've been trying to find a light solution for either a 10mm or 14mm  (as opposed to 20mm) LED.

Offline Ari-Jaq Xulden

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 07:02:58 AM »
To my knowledge none of the leds we use are 20 mm. The MCPCB bases are 20 mm, this may be what you are referring to. The leds upon them range from about 4mm for rebels to about 10mm for lux III, V , P4, Ledengin, etc. There are 10 ( and soon 15 mm) MCPCB's which have rebels on them. Those lenses are specific to each MCPCB and can be acquired at Luxeon Star.

Do you have any photos, specs or more info on the led your asking about?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:48:29 AM by ari-jaq xulden »

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Offline yell0w_lantern

• No Force
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 09:21:14 AM »
Right, 20mm with the star board. I found some 14mm and 10mm boards but no suitable lenses smaller than 20mm diameter. I'm trying convert an early Parks Dark Avenger and if I could find either a reflector or lens of the right size, I could mount the LED in the 3/4 inch tube that runs 1/2 the length of the hilt and still fit a reasonable battery setup.

Offline Ari-Jaq Xulden

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 09:35:55 AM »
As I stated before, if it is the 10 mm square board w/rebel there are matching lenses at Luxeon star. In order to help you find a suitable lens I would need more info on the led itself, and board you are referring to (pics help). Simply telling me the size is not enough. There are many lenses in the same size for different leds, mountings, etc. Some transpose, most don't. If you are worried about it being in an open forum, you can PM me.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:31:54 AM by ari-jaq xulden »

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

retrousse