fiduciary

Author Topic: [Help] Saber won't turn on  (Read 379 times)

Offline SlatoPotato

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
[Help] Saber won't turn on
« on: June 23, 2022, 04:53:17 AM »
Greetings!

So far as I can tell I was one of the lucky, or unlucky ones depending on your point of view, to get a Hamptons Hand Crafted Lightsaber (HHCLS)... Yeah remember those!? Its been a very long time since I've even taken it out of storage to use it but with the Obi-Wan Kenobi series, I was motivated to pull it out. The last time I had used my saber was about 2 years ago and I distinctly remember getting frustrated that it wasn't starting up but just put it away. So last week I went out and purchased another 18650 battery thinking the one that came with the saber was simply dead. Charging the new battery up doesn't seem to make a difference when I swap it out.

I've now popped open the saber to take a look around the inside. Its running a Nano Biscotte v3 and from what I can see all the internal wiring looks good. While my saber still makes a great display piece, I'd love to be able to fire up the old girl. I am a complete novice when it comes to this kind of thing and I humbly defer to your superior knowledge.

There may have been some point in the past where I had inserted the battery upside down but don't believe it was for anything longer than "oh dang, it wont start up now, lets turn it around".

Would anyone have any advice on where I can start the troubleshooting process or am I better off leaving it as a very expensive display piece?

In summary:
- HHCLS Custom Saber
- Biscotte V3 chip
- Have tried a new 18650 battery
- Micro SD card still works and I can access its files

Best,
SlatoPotato

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: [Help] Saber won't turn on
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 06:06:57 AM »
without any pictures it's impossible to help. Though I would advise to test the board on a bench PSU, wired only with a speaker, switch (or just bare wires touching each other to bypass the switch) and speaker
bypass the recharge port too as it could be corroded or the switched negative pin (springy) might not return in place if the kill key was fat enough to push it away permanently

Offline SlatoPotato

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: [Help] Saber won't turn on
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 01:18:14 AM »
without any pictures it's impossible to help.

Ask and ye shall receive. Again, absolute amateur with electronics so if you need any more photos of specific bits, don't hesitate to ask.

newbielink:https://imgur.com/a/FV6OLoV [nonactive]

Though I would advise to test the board on a bench PSU, wired only with a speaker, switch (or just bare wires touching each other to bypass the switch) and speaker
bypass the recharge port too as it could be corroded or the switched negative pin (springy) might not return in place if the kill key was fat enough to push it away permanently

I'll see if I can find a friend who would have a bench PSU for me to borrow as the sabers were all assembled by Hamptons, not myself. Thanks for the quick advice.

retrousse