fiduciary

Author Topic: The Golden Saber Challenge!  (Read 5403 times)

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
Re: The Golden Saber Challenge!
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2021, 06:43:56 AM »
Just ordered some more parts to try and fit in. Hopefully they get here in the next few days.

:azn:

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2021, 06:08:50 AM »
How many people are still left in this challenge?

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2021, 08:22:27 AM »
Well, I'm still in. R&W.  :grin:

Offline Darth Brooks

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2021, 10:04:07 AM »
I don't know if my saber will count? I finished my saber but it was also for my own personal collection and as far as long term use goes the field stripping part I decided to make some changes and not sure if mine will still qualify?

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2021, 01:02:04 PM »
I don't know if my saber will count? I finished my saber but it was also for my own personal collection and as far as long term use goes the field stripping part I decided to make some changes and not sure if mine will still qualify?

You can always submit it and see what happens. The only thing that really matters is that it's modular and can hold and light up a blade.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2021, 02:51:06 PM »
I don't think I'll be participating... :sad:  I have a lot going on and I have to go away for a while in November. 

I have a work-in-progress, but it's nowhere near ready and will not be by the time I leave.  I will have to pull a Thunder and show it off after the fact... by Valentine's day, if possible.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2021, 04:00:08 PM »
I've been getting back in the swing of things, and I have some very rough preliminary designs (more like abstract concepts) from back at the beginning of this discussion, but I'm not sure I'll have time to pull it off.

It seems a number of sentients here have had some struggles outside of their control, keeping them from finishing this in time.  Should we consider moving the deadline?  I would not have suggested such a thing on my own accord (I still might not be able to complete an entry), but I'd really like to see what everyone has been working on!

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2021, 04:36:15 PM »
I’d be ok with a delay. It would give me time to get me shiny new laptop up and running (once it finally arrives sometime in early December).

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2021, 06:02:34 AM »
I have a work-in-progress, but it's nowhere near ready and will not be by the time I leave.  I will have to pull a Thunder and show it off after the fact... by Valentine's day, if possible.

Well, there's my motivation to get something done on time for once  :shocked:

Not gonna lie, I could also do with a bit more time. I've hit complete creative block for once. I'm trying to retrofit one of my old designs to fit the theme of the challenge, but it's taking longer than I thought, and November is also starting to look a lot more hectic than it did just a month ago (Hello Darth Real Life, my old friend...)
Better late than never.

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2021, 12:55:29 AM »
OK. How about this, we’ll extend this to Valentine’s Day (February 14th) so you people can show me sabers that the community may fall in love with.

Also, this way more of you can try to wow me with your skillz.

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2021, 03:09:20 AM »
I don't think that's fair to the people who actually worked to make the deadline.  I was joking about Valentine's day... I just gave it a lower priority.  I knew full well what this caliber project involves and I sat on it, my fault.  We shouldn't penalize the folks who actually worked this entire time to finish their projects.

This is a complex concept that NEEDS time to develop, that's the reason it was pitched to have M A N Y months to work on it. 

Thunder, maybe we should sit this one out.  Lack of progress this late in the contest should probably roll us to next time.

I say keep the current deadline, just me though, what do others think?

Edit:  a week, two weeks, might be fair, but not months.

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2021, 11:31:51 AM »
I have to concur with Eastern on this.
I don't wanna see people drop out but a deadline was agreed at the start. That time constraint is one of the factors that makes this a contest.
With an extra three months, who knows what may have been. More planning, more prototyping, more complexity. Maybe two entries.
But that's just my view based on what I've come up within the time frame.
I assume, either way, this thread will be ongoing for any submissions both sides of a deadline.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2021, 07:21:36 PM »
I wanted to be in, but haven’t been able to touch any builds for the last 4 months while I was coaching football and baseball at the same time.  I would be able to submit an entry if we push out, but not with the thanksgiving deadline.  If the finished people want to push l, cool, otherwise I will be in for the next one!

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »
The timeline doesn’t really matter to me, you are the ones who have to torture yourselves to make it.  :evil:

I’m fine with keeping this at Thanksgiving.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2021, 12:44:36 PM »
Ok, so, the last 48 hours have been not the greatest way to start November. I'd explain further, but it'd be hard without using some family unfriendly language. Suffice to say I'm not going to have the time to check forums regularly, let alone building things this month.

I'm with Eastern and Greenie, sticking to the original deadline sounds like the best option for me.

Good luck to everyone, and may the Force be with us.
Better late than never.

retrousse