fiduciary

Author Topic: The non-martial arts  (Read 27852 times)

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
  • Many tentacles the dark side has
    • My Youtube channel
Re: The non-martial arts
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 09:32:46 PM »
Cool posts!

Good luck with the practicing it looks like you are learning a bunch of new moves  :)
Thanks. Here is the next salvo.
So building on this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0OUAGUwtOE

Day one attempts at a staff roll over the shoulder then around the neck. Still finding the balance point at the back of my neck, but getting there.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WB5aXtEWxM

And now with a saber. First day attempts at a halo 180 roll and various other things. Also testing out my new saberstaff. I left in some of the misses. Music is Gravity's Rainbow by The Klaxons.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9DiTFZjSM

I still have a way to go.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2015, 10:40:21 PM »
This is a walkthrough of the moves I am working on with contact lightsaber. The end goal is to do these without the hand contact with the saber rolling along my shoulders. This video shows three different moves in hand contact form. Featured here is my extra long saberstaff as well.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHOT-ked1Ko

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2015, 11:07:44 PM »
This video was taken after about 4 days of practicing this move. The goal here was to roll it over my shoulders, around my neck, and back over my shoulders, while turning 360 degree, without gripping the sword. In this video, I am using a balanced flame saber, though this move is a bit easier with a staff. I will see if I can get one with my saber-staff over the weekend.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvtewEwj7X8

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 09:40:47 PM »
Practice saber-staff routine with spinning and some contact moves to Peter Gabriel's Steam. In this video: various spins, tosses, and rolls. Also two halo 360 rolls, some halo transitions, neck rolls, under-leg spins, and a couple things I don't know the names of. A couple near misses, but I am starting to get the hang of these things, and my modified saber-staff is working out well.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAjp9N60104

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2015, 10:03:22 PM »
Hello all. It has been a while since my last video. It is harder to get time when you have a 7 month old. So after customizing my saberstaff, I was looking for moves that would make use of the longer hilt and specific balance of a staff like this. These are a few of what I have come up with. The first is a continuous spin for one hand attained by adding a full roll over the back of the hand to a half palm spin to reset. The second is a double continuous spin that is a roll over the back of both hands with a grip on either side and a half spin to reset. The third is a one handed shoulder wrap around the neck and back into the same hand. The final is a double shoulder wrap, shown with and without intermediate grips, where the body turns 360 degrees. Demos set to "Fun Zone" from UHF. Enjoy.
! No longer available

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 06:41:39 PM »
Been a while since I posted here. This is one of my new ones. I decided to show some of the spins I am working on. In here you will see some horizontal spin/hand switches and some leg work. Towards the end, there is also a neck roll to a toss. I have also been working on incorporating larger orbits into some of my work. Feedback welcome. Music is London After Midnight: Pain looks good on me. I don't know why, but blue blades seem to put me in mind of more Gothic music.

! No longer available

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2015, 09:44:03 PM »
Call for Videos: Spin Wars 2015

Hello Sabering community. As 2015 comes to a close, the air has gone cold, the decorations are in the windows, and it is time once again for people who love showing off with LED sabers to come together and show the community what you learned over the last year.

That's right, it is time for Spin Wars: Episode 2!!!

Simply put, most of us here tend to do our own things. We do choreographed fights, martial arts demos, spinning routines, costume work, etc. What if there was a way to get several of those things into one project that would showcase a wider picture of what we, as a community, do with lightsabers? That is what Spin Wars did last year. For anyone unfamiliar, Last year's video may be found here.

Saber Collaborative Montage 2014 - YouTube

So what about this year? Anyone willing to volunteer, post a video in which you show us your saber work. You can choreograph a fight, you can give us spinning, you can film some freeform work, you can do it with lit or unlit blades, in costume or in plain clothes, outside, inside, or on green screen. This footage will be edited together into a single video. This year, if there are enough people interested. We may even look at two videos (a light side and a dark side) if there are enough participants.

The criteria:

1. For editing and theme purposes, the video should be designed to accompany a piece of music I will post on this thread soon. Please have the music playing in the video so that I can hear it in the background for timing. If you record it without the music or while the music was playing through headphones, please attach the music track to it before you post.

2. Your video must include a lightsaber and be something recognizable as "a performance".

3. Your content should not violate youtube or forum rules.

The details:

If you are interested, please post and say so. The initial interest will help determine if we are doing one video or two. When you have a video, please post it here. I can rip things from youtube without a problem for editing. Please include the name or moniker you would like to appear in the credits. If you have a signature move, pose, or other brief trademark, please post it as a separate video or still image as you would like it to appear in the credits. If none is submitted, I will use a short clip from your routine. If you have a youtube channel or web link, post it and I will include it in the description. Please try to submit material as soon as you are able. I would like to start editing in mid December with a video release on Youtube around the first of the year.

Additional notes and disclaimers:

This is not a professional video and my channel is not monetized so there is no profit being made. This is by and for those who are willing to donate time and energy to make it happen. I will have to decide what makes it in and what does not. We are only working with 6 minutes between the two videos. I will try to include everyone, and if too many people are interested to do that, I will try to make a second cut. If you have a favorite segment, feel free to let me know the time range and I will do what I can, but no promises. Other than that, feel free to discuss and ask questions if you wish. If there is anything I can do to help you put together a submission, let me know. Otherwise, happy sabering

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 06:40:26 PM »
And now the music is official. For the light siders, we have Darth & Vader's return of the jedi order 66 mix by I.Y.F.F.E
[DUBSTEP] Darth & Vader - Return of the Jedi (I.Y.F.F.E 's Order 66 Remix) -
mp3 can be found for download on ??????? mp3 ?????? ????????? ? ??????? ???????? = ???MP3.net
search for "darth & vader - return of the jedi order 66"

For the Dark siders, Dyman's Dark side
Dyman - Dark Side | Audiosurf - YouTube
Download mp3 here
www.jamendo.com/track/1121484/dark-side?language=en

The Light side track is a bit longer than the dark side, which works since most of the people who responded identified with the light side. Remember to have the music audible in the video so I can sync them up for edits.

Now you have everything you need. So, Get spinning!

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2015, 09:06:52 PM »
So here is mine in raw form. Hopefully this will get others thinking and bring some more videos to the table. This is me with my contact staff. The darkness obscures it but there are several roles and other interesting things in here. Now if only I would learn to stop ducking out of frame.
raw edit of spinwars 2015 - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2015, 07:31:23 PM »
The rough cut is done, now I just need to clean it up a bit and work on transitions. We had in total, three participants (same number as last year but not the same faces). I ended up needing to change the music and edit into one film as this was fewer than anticipated. Thanks to those who participated. Expect an on time release of the finished product on New Year's eve.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2015, 05:11:38 PM »
So it is finished. There were fewer participants than expected, but that might be owing to the many other Star Wars related activities that are taking people's time right now. We made do. Thank you to those who participated and to those who expressed interest, even if you were unable to submit anything. Without further ado, let me present Spin Wars Episode II: The Battle is Joined. Following the theme of last year's Spin Wars I went with more of a duel format, since we had dark and light represented. Enjoy.

Spin Wars: Episode II - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 09:07:12 PM »
So I have been working on getting my dual wield transitions to be a bit more fluid. I had been finding that I often ended up repeating a move and trying to figure out how to get out of it and into another. This led me to practice more with music to get more used to working in footwork and integrating more variety. These two videos are my most recent progress. The first is a relatively fast paced freestyle routine to Shadows by Lindsay sterling. The second is a slower routine to Caravan by Bond. As always, feedback or suggestions are welcome. Enjoy.

Shadows - YouTube
Caravan - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2016, 01:58:33 PM »
One more.  Dual wield lightsaber to Only If For Tonight by Florence and the Machine. Switched to long blades for this one. I was trying a couple new things that may need some development. You can also see my new boots in this one as I put them through the paces.
Only If For Tonight - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2016, 09:41:06 PM »
It was brought to my attention that the audio on this was not there. I corrected the issue. Sorry about that. I solemnly vow to never use windows movie maker again. Try this one.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2016, 09:19:40 PM »
This is a first run at blade on blade contact spins with lightsabers. I learned this from Lucian Kane. He calls it sticky blades. It is adapted from contact double staff. Also included is some fun with aftereffects echo feature.
Stickie blades dual wield lightsaber contact - YouTube
Tiger Echo - YouTube

retrousse