fiduciary

Author Topic: SaberForge Leia after powder coating and polishing...now updated with PC 1.6  (Read 17215 times)

Offline SaberForge

• Experienced Force User
I want it back!! lol

Great job, took my saber to a whole new level.

Offline Snake-Eyes

• Experienced Force User
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
Re: My SaberForge Leia after powder coating and polishing...
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 08:39:23 PM »
I used 1000 grit paper on a round 6" DA then moved up to 1500.  I used to move up to 3000 grit but my bench polisher takes out 1500 scratches easily.
Then I used Tripoli polish on a tightly woven polishing wheel (on a bench mount polisher), then to the jewelers rouge on a loosely woven polishing wheel (attached to the other side of the polisher).
That takes away all the machining marks and creates a mirror shine.  It is chrome like.
I use mothers mag for upkeep after the polishing.
It sounds like a lot of work but it is way faster and easier than hand sanding and polishing.
You wouldn't perchance offer such services to those of use who aren't tech-savvy and lack the proper tools, would you? ;D
(I can add a "pretty please" if necessary. :D)

Sure I will.  Just PM me and let me know what you want polished and we can work something out. 

Wow.  Nice polish work.  You may have more PM's incoming...
Very slick overall; nice personal touches!   8)

Never under-estimate the Will and Ingenuity of the Oppressed...

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009, 10:39:43 PM »
I added a US 2.1 and accent LEDs (read my first post for more info)
The addition of the accent LEDs makes it look even better. 8)

BTW, I've tried using those switches before but couldn't figure out a way to secure it onto the inside of the hilt...
How did you do it?

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 05:22:22 AM »
Thanks for the comments. 

I added a US 2.1 and accent LEDs (read my first post for more info)
The addition of the accent LEDs makes it look even better. 8)

BTW, I've tried using those switches before but couldn't figure out a way to secure it onto the inside of the hilt...
How did you do it?

I have done it a couple of ways with great success.

The first way I did it was to use JB weld (JBWeld kwik...fast setting) on the back side to hold it to the aluminum.  It stays put but you can easily grind it off if the switch goes bad and replace it (I did this to one I changed the button style on).

The way I did this one was to copy a trick I saw Qui-gon do.  I took a piece of plastic sink tube that fit in the hilt (Qui-gon used PVC I believe but I didn't have the right size on hand).  I then heated it on one side with a heat gun and created a little recess.  Once the plastic cooled it was rigid and had the little pocket in it to hold the switch in.  Put the switch in place then slide the plastic over it to hold it in place.  This is easier than the JBWeld way because you don't have to worry about the JBWeld getting on the button side of the switch or holding it in place until it cures.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
double post I know (sorry)

Due to some financial priorities I have decided to put this saber up for sale.  :'(

Here is the link

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=20091.0

Offline Taff Vader

• No Force
Stunning saber. I may get a Leia now ive seen this.

Offline Gabywan

• Master Force User
  • Que nunca muera el niƱo que llevamos adentro...
without words, a real work of art.
I do not find new words to praise his work.
Congrat my friend ;)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
update on this saber.  Nightstorm sent this back to me to do an upgrade.  Unfortunately no video but a couple of pics anyway.

I put a PC 1.6 in it and added a switch to the box and changed the accent LED color to amber.  I also changed the LED to a 10W A with FoC.

Pics although it doesn't look much different except for the button in the box.

Here is a good shot of the switch.  It is a plunger connected to a tactile switch.

Here is a pic of the modified MHS speaker enclosure.

Here is a pic of the access to the SD card.  The white wire on the speaker (between speaker and mount) is a pull cord so you can pull the mount out of the way.

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
I've still got miy SF Leia sittin empty and have always really dug the powder coating you did on this one.  Great update!
Support our Font Makers!

retrousse