fiduciary

Author Topic: My First MHS Saber: A n00b's Weapon (images included)  (Read 9740 times)

Offline Ishi-Goturi

• Experienced Force User
  • The Hutts are gangstas!
My First MHS Saber: A n00b's Weapon (images included)
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:12:02 AM »
Well, I actually finished the lightsaber last Tuesday, but I just got around to taking pictures of it yesterday. I built it with the help of one of my friends who has soldering experience. Needless to say, the saber has some flaws due to our inexperience. Still, it's my lightsaber, and I'm very happy with it. :D

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v185/200/7/567141784/n567141784_407724_3642.jpg

That's the whole hilt. I decided to just have one claw 2 attachment because I thought that three claws would be too heavy and Sith-like, and this isn't necessarily supposed to be a Sith saber. However, I think that the single claw gives it a somewhat edgy/sexy look (maybe in my dreams).  :P It also keeps the hilt from being too plain, because it doesn't look very special at all without the claw and claw holder.

The emitter is a MHS style 7 blade holder. The hilt is the MHS double threaded hilt style 4, a double ended male threaded connector, and a 4" double female threaded connector (where the rubber grips are). The pommel is a simple screw on pommel style 5. The two screws I used to hold the blade and claw holder in place are 10-32 x 13/32' thumb screws.

Now, onto the mistakes. :(

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v185/200/7/567141784/n567141784_407717_1499.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v185/200/7/567141784/n567141784_407727_4501.jpg

As you can see from these two pics, we had some, uh, trouble when we were drilling the screw hole for the emitter. We found out after about ten minutes of drilling that we had the electric drill turning the WRONG WAY.  :'( After reversing the direction of the spin, the bit cut through the hilt like a hot knife through butter. However, we had already created a deep scar running all the way up to where the hole is. It's kind of hard to see in these pictures, but, believe me, it's there.

Also, I've been having some trouble keeping the momentary switch in place. I suspect this is because I need a switch boot, so the next time I place an order from TCSS, I'll be sure to get one. Right now, though, the switch is crooked and tends to get pushed back into the hilt, so I have to unscrew the bottom half of the hilt and push the battery holder up so the switch will pop back into the hole. A bit annoying, but I can live with it for now.  :-\  I've managed to hold the switch in place most of the time by surrounding it with little pieces of Styrofoam and Kleenex. lol

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v185/200/7/567141784/n567141784_407728_4855.jpg

I also placed one of the grips on a bit out of place with the others. Gah. >__<

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v185/200/7/567141784/n567141784_407719_2113.jpg

Normal room light w/ flash.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v185/200/7/567141784/n567141784_407720_2443.jpg

Complete darkness w/ flash (kinda pointless).

Normal room light w/o flash.

Complete darkness w/o flash.

Yes, those are my Darth Vader gloves and cat lying there. lol

The blade is a colored by a blue Lux III powered by Energizer e2 Lithiums. They were definitely worth the price. The first time I lit the whole blade up at full power was like the time Luke Skywalker first ignited his father's lightsaber. Flaws and all, this was my first Luxeon lightsaber. Completely mine!   ;D lol Now my friends all want their own. :P

I gave the length of the blade tube a once-over with sandpaper to kind of give it the "frosted" look. This lets the blade keep its brightness without letting the color bleed out everywhere. It also hides any little scratches it might get in combat, not that I've actually dueled with anyone yet. lol However, I went for the thicker dueling tube over the thinner show tube just in case. ;)

The entire saber is pretty heavy- Much more so than my MR Mace. When the blade is screwed into the hilt, it measures roughly 4' (I haven't actually measured the whole thing yet). I've been practicing spins and other swings and flourishes and stuff, and I do tend to bring it with me when I hang out with friends. So, yes, I love it, and I'm very happy I finally got my own Luxeon lightsaber.  :)

Oh, one more thing: The name. I know a lot of you like to name your custom sabers, so I've decided on one for mine. It will hereby be known as...

GODZILLA! lol

Yeah, I chose the name Godzilla because the blade's blue color reminded me of the Big G's atomic ray. The rubber grips and ribbed hilt were also reminiscent of Godzilla's skin, scales, fins, etc. And, of course, there's the claw attachment. :P

To be perfectly honest, the blade color is a mistake. I mismarked my TCSS order and picked a blue LED when I intended to get a green one. I was going to name the saber "Gigan" if it had a green blade:

That's Gigan (note the claws). lol

Still, I don't regret getting a blue blade and find my saber to be very Luke/Anakin Skywalker-esque (if unintentionally). Maybe my next custom will be green, but think it's best that I wait a while before investing in another saber. ;) lol

So, questions? Comments?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:04:40 AM by Ishi-Goturi »
Many Bothans died to bring us this signature.

Consular Green Ultra FX
MHS Blue Lux III

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
Re: My First MHS Saber: A n00b's Weapon (images included)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »
Did you put the nut onto your switch? That's the reason it gets pushed in. Your switch should of come with a little black ring, and that threads down on top of it which secures the switch.

That's a good looking first saber  8)
Keep the drill on forward next time  ;D

Mods, can you move this thread to the TCSS forum?

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline Ishi-Goturi

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 11:12:21 AM »
I will definitely have to look into that.  :o I have a box full of my leftovers from the project, so that nut might have gotten thrown into there.

And that moment that we realized the drill was in reverse almost made me bang my head on the table. lol But I'm glad you think it looks cool.

And thanks for moving the thread, TK.  8)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:16:19 AM by Ishi-Goturi »

Consular Green Ultra FX
MHS Blue Lux III

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 11:17:54 AM »
No problem.  That is a nice saber you have contructed there.  Especially for a first time.  I like the one claw idea.  It took me a few minutes to get used to it but I like it.

Offline Ishi-Goturi

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 01:23:05 PM »
Yeah, the single-claw idea was inspired by the "bevel" on the emitters of Graflex hilts. In universe, it's supposed to make one "edge" of the blade "sharper." I have no idea how that would work with a lightsaber, but whatever. :D lol

Consular Green Ultra FX
MHS Blue Lux III

Offline vortextwist

• formerly known as vortextwist
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:35:27 PM »
very nice man, looks good for your first!

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 04:19:19 PM »
 8)

A very cool saber for your first saber!!If the one claw was a bit longer it would sort of looked like a dooku hilt lol ;)

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »
Heh, did someone say DOOKU?

Neophyl on TCSS made that one. Truly be best Dooku replica yet.

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 04:29:25 PM »
 :o :o :o

wow what an art piece indeed!! :o :o

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 04:45:17 PM »
Wow is right   :o Im drooling

This is not a bad saber Ishi  :) Congratz on your first build
sig removed, ...animation not allowed

Offline Ishi-Goturi

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »
Aluke123, upon further inspection of my momentary switch, I found out that the nut you spoke of was still attached to the button. That really made me feel like a laser-brain. lol  But now my switch is fully functional and there's no crap in my hilt. A big, big thank you for the tip. 8)

And it would be a lie if I told you the single claw wasn't partially inspired by Dooku's saber. I can't wait to see what Hasbro does now that they have permission to make a Dooku FX.  ;D

But Neophyl's Dooku looks just like the prop to me!

:o :o :o

Consular Green Ultra FX
MHS Blue Lux III

Offline Darth Resev

• Man of many names
  • Master Force User
  • I'm back
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 05:15:54 PM »
Alittle beauty work and that dooku will be the real deal  :D
sig removed, ...animation not allowed

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 05:17:41 PM »
It's already the closest thing to the real deal  ;D

Man I wish I owned it... :'(

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline Ishi-Goturi

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 05:27:55 PM »
Yeah, all it needs is some gold finish here and there and a red activation switch, and it'll be just about perfect.  :)

Man, I was just thinking that Tim is going to be completely overrun when he finally does offer powder coating services for his hilt sections. :-\ lol

Consular Green Ultra FX
MHS Blue Lux III

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 05:38:20 PM »
Very true Ishi. He already does offer powdercoating, but only people who read the forums know about it as it is not an official store item yet.  ;)

Lord Maul on TCSS

retrousse