fiduciary

Author Topic: smooth swing interpolation with pitch-shifted hums  (Read 18355 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: smooth swing interpolation with pitch-shifted hums
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »
To activate the looped swing mode, just add "swingl.wav" and "swingh.wav" to any existing font.
What directroy do the "swingl.wav" and "swingh.wav" go in? /hum or /swng or doesn't matter?

If you're using subdirectories for effects, each effect should have it's own directory, so it would be:

swingl/swingl.wav

and

swingh/swingh.wav

Really no need for subdirectories for effects that only have one file though, so just swingl.wav and swingh.wav is fine.

Offline rebel2234

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 02:20:56 PM »
I tried this some months ago, haven't worked on it in a while.  No sound fonts/wav's for buzz sound. Yours sounds pretty good!

Offline Anvil

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
I cannot wait to dive into this board and do this! you guys are my heroes. lol

Offline Anvil

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »
Got this implemented in TeensySaber now, but testing/tuning will have to wait until tomorrow.
Hopefully I can find some good looped sounds...

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, i haven't seen it yet in my reading here but, Do i need to make or modify sound fonts for this to work? or is it just taking a soundfont and renaming the file?

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
The sound font has to be modified, at least a little bit.
Basically you have to create two more hum sounds, one with a slightly higher pitch and one with a slightly lower pitch.
One reasonable simple way to do so is to use a command called "sox"

Code: [Select]
sox hum.wav swingh.wav speed -180c rate -v
sox hum.wav swingl.wav speed 150c rate -v

This works, but the result isn't quiete as awesome as what Thexter was able to do.
More interesting results can be obtained by taking the hum from a *different* font to create the swingl/swingh sounds.

Offline Anvil

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 12:42:18 PM »
cool! so if i wanted to duplicate thexters results as close as i can id need to get into manipulating my own fonts? Or i think you mentioned in a message that hes using slightly different hardware? Im really interested in diving into the sound configuration. Im just waiting on a breadboard to come in so i can start learning it

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 02:42:47 PM »
cool! so if i wanted to duplicate thexters results as close as i can id need to get into manipulating my own fonts? Or i think you mentioned in a message that hes using slightly different hardware? Im really interested in diving into the sound configuration. Im just waiting on a breadboard to come in so i can start learning it

He uses different, but very similar hardware.
The bigger problem is that he uses different software. The looped swing implementation in teensysaber is based a description of what his V1 code does, but it's not identical. I think it works pretty well, but I haven't been able to make it sound as good as Thexter's demos. Not sure if that's because his code works better/differently, or if he just has better sound fonts than I do.  According to Thexter, Smoothswing V2 blends many more sounds than Smoothswing V1, but that's about all I know about it.

Offline Anvil

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2018, 06:01:42 PM »
Fascinating. Im very interested in this aspect of saber building! My favorite thing to do when dealing with plecter boards was the tuning aspect of it... Making the sounds feel as responsive as possible.  Ive been considering making my own sound fonts lately and the smoothswing tech im seeing is really igniting that interest again. I work in film and im going to start asking some of my buddies in sound about making sound fonts. I might shoot you a pm her soon for some advice/ things i should research. Thanks you guys for all you do!

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2018, 09:31:55 PM »
Fascinating. Im very interested in this aspect of saber building! My favorite thing to do when dealing with plecter boards was the tuning aspect of it... Making the sounds feel as responsive as possible.  Ive been considering making my own sound fonts lately and the smoothswing tech im seeing is really igniting that interest again. I work in film and im going to start asking some of my buddies in sound about making sound fonts. I might shoot you a pm her soon for some advice/ things i should research. Thanks you guys for all you do!

If you haven't read it already, I suggest starting with this excellent article: Lightsaber Sound Cookbook

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
  • Having fun learning the hobby.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2018, 12:45:09 AM »
This was pretty cool reading your and Thexter's language brainstorming.  Even though most of it is greek to me, the results are not.  Smoothswing is very awesome, and I thank you both for developing it.  This thread might be a bit historical when the chips fall where they may.  Very cool stuff.

Tom

Offline Megtooth Sith

• No Force
  • Having fun learning the hobby.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2019, 09:44:06 AM »
Now that smoothswing has been implemented into CFX and Proffie, this thread is indeed historical, and as such ought to be pinned in this section.  Thexter changed the entire custom saber community here with a few vids and a couple lines of ingenius coding.  While it has been modified, and supplemented since, this is the thread where it all started.  If you're running Crystal Focus 10, Proffie, TeensySaber, Brewboard, DIYino, etc. that uses smoothswing...….give Thexter some thanks!  Thank you Thexter!  You are the man!

retrousse