fiduciary

Author Topic: Rebels: Lightsabers  (Read 19793 times)

Offline Kun2112

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Rebels: Lightsabers
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:27:19 AM »
Since this is a saber board:
Okay, after having seen the first two episodes of Rebels and some of the character vignettes, I have to say I like two of the three new sabers they have introduced.

First is Kanan's

I really like the combination of the OT and RM concept feel to it. Also reminiscent of Dave Dorman's painted covers for Dark Horse back in the 90's
My personal favorite.

The second is Ezra's

Not seen in series yet, but on the toy market in time for Halloween. Purists may decry the integrated blaster, but for the character and series situation, I think it makes sense.

The third (and one I don't like) is the Inquisitor's

A short-hilt saberstaff that has a circle around the hilt connected to the emitters--so the thing can rotate...

What are your thoughts on the designs?

Offline BOBA FETT

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Force Relics co-founder, FKA Master Jevaho
    • Force Relics
Re: Rebels: Lightsabers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 01:34:32 AM »
Not a big fan of the second and 3rd design. But the Kanan is just killer IMO!

Offline ScrimpyPIE

• Experienced Force User
  • Guardian's Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 02:46:17 AM »
Not a big fan of the second and 3rd design. But the Kanan is just killer IMO!

I concur. Kanan's is the best of the three and IMHO, the only legitimate looking saber; but that's just my take on things. :)
"Use the fork, Luke!"

"Are they friendly?" - Obi-wan Kenobi
"Depends... On how good your manners are;
and how big your  'pocket-book' is. - Dexter Jettster

Lightsaber collection-
US Raven
Mhs-based Luke RoTJ
Rebellion KotOR run x2
(Original: violet)
(Second-hand: sky blue)
OM/LDM Lego saber run
LDM Custom "Quobi"
GenesisCustom Ascend CF6 run
GenesisCustom Badaxx "Browncoat"
Personal saber "Illum" by Simpi-gon Sims
"Primum V2" by Darthvix/LDM

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 03:28:29 AM »
Yes in on the same band wagon with you guys. Kanan's hilt Rocks! :jediblue:

I can understand Ezra's design being not trained in the Temple and the found objects thing. It more in his chain of thoughts. Also he has to hide it so it in a rebel/ outlawed Jedi makes since.

This Inquisitor hilt just looks like a crazy toy. I get he's from the vampire planet ::) and they want something alien. It just looks like a toy.

Offline basalter

• Experienced Force User
    • A pinch of Salter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 04:18:40 AM »
I suspect most will favour Kanans' more traditional hilt, as do I. Yet, as an attempt to design something a little more unorthodox I think the Inquisitors is pretty interesting, both in look and action. Even though he is neither Jedi or Sith, so I wonder if it even contains a crystal? Ezras fulfills a desire I have had to see a lightsaber used as a blaster. I will be looking forward to seeing it in action,
and as so far the series is living up to my highest expectations, I am sure implementation will be most satisfying. But certainly I think in Kanans' saber we have another classic.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:22:25 AM by basalter »

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 06:16:17 AM »
Kanans is already a classic because it has classic elements...the others are unorthodox which doesn't in itself make a saber a bad design, afterall the double bladed saberstaff and guard shoto were unfamiliar at one time, but they look 'clunky' [unrefined design-wise] and what is worse TOY like - probably because they ARE intended to be TOYS more than anything else - designed more for the IRL tie-in KIDDIE toy market ca$$h-in ka-ching! than any legitimate artistic motive of a logical place for such technology in the SW mythos.

In other words thay are STUPID looking because they are designed FOR 8-year olds [and look like something that would be designed BY an 8 year old].

These hideous abominations of TOYISH 'lightsabers' are yet another example of the DUMBING DOWN OF STAR WARS post-Disney that does not bode well for Ep.VII [especially considering how JJ Abrams moronicized Star Trek Into Dumbness] and which I knew was coming in this series as soon as I saw the 'light-SLINGSHOT' [What The Force???] and the Inquisitors is nothing more than an attempt to 'legitimize' the SPECTACULARLY STUPID 'general grievous spinning lightsaber' TOY of a few years ago in a new character.

Oh well I guess its not QUITE as moronic as light-NUNCHUKS...which I suppose they are saving for next year on Rebels or maybe Episode X or XI which will feature 'Darth Maus' versus 'Teenage Alien Jedi Turtles' I suppose... [don't give them any ideas eh?] *rolls eyes*

I was really starting to LIKE Rebels with the premiere too...-SIGH-
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 06:35:52 AM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline 97th Acolyte

• Master Force User
  • [insert witty comment here]
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 07:38:49 AM »
I personally like both Kanan's and The Inquisitor's hilts. I'm not a fan of the Circle thing, but as a single, (or double) saber without that, I think it would be awesome.

As for Ezra's, I like the concept, but something about the actual hilt looks... Off... To me. Dunno why. :P
Proud owner of:       JSK1 - Jaina Solo Kotobukiya lightsaber - created by Bombarta
Harp's Starkiller/Kylo Ren fusion - Prizm                      
Deadpool's Deathstick - CS2.5 Reveal, JQsabers               
JK-Sabers Battle damaged/Reveal Maul - Empty             
US Raven
Korbanth:
 Darth Maul - Empty
 Duke - NBv2, JQSabers
 Qui Gon - NBv2, MasterSabers

Offline Askew Wai

• No Force
  • Speak softly. Carry an R2.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 08:22:29 AM »
I don't mind Ezra's, it has a cutlass hilt vibe. Hopefully it takes some reconfiguring to use as a blaster, otherwise there's another team mate rendered redundant. Is the saber dual-length too?

The Inquisitor's hilt looks cool when the emitters align with the handle, but the spin action makes it very hard to imagine any correlation with previous saber cutaways. Some sort of infinite energy loop interrupted by mirrors? Lightxena?

Offline Lord Bane

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • LB CUSTOM SABERS
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »
Kanan's is my favorite. I'm just waiting to own one for myself. Hint Hint Boba...;)

Offline Kun2112

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 09:23:10 AM »
I think some of the "off"-ness in the Ezra hilt is because the picture is of the toy. The Kanan toy doesn't look much better.

I found a render on deviantart that looks pretty good:
Lightsaber: Ezra Bridger 2 (top view) by TheHatter-10-6 on deviantART
(Direct img link not working)

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
Really... are you guys complaining that the second lightsaber... The one that is a photo of a toy that looks like a toy?.... I just don't get all the hate for the new Star Wars or JJ or Disney or any of it...... I think I'm gonna make a thread for the new stuff with no negative comments allowed because I'm seriously tired of hearing it we've got like 10 years or so of new Star Wars movies coming plus the cartoons and who knows what else... That is going to be a long time to have to listen to people complaining about the Star Wars that's not their Star Wars anymore..... Get over it please or move on....
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:44:16 AM by LUMINARA UNDULI »

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »
People are entitled to their opinions.  We welcome both sides of this argument and people can feel free to post their opinions about Disney and Star Wars both negative and positive just like they have been doing since this forum opened ;D.  If you'd like to make your own thread "positive comments only", feel free but keep in mind discussion fails when you only allow one side to express opinions. 

Facebook: VVFB

Offline 97th Acolyte

• Master Force User
  • [insert witty comment here]
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 09:49:23 AM »
Really... are you guys complaining that the second lightsaber... The one that is a photo of a toy that looks like a toy?.... I just don't get all the hate for the new Star Wars or JJ or Disney or any of it...... I think I'm gonna make a thread for the new stuff with no negative comments allowed because I'm seriously tired of hearing it we've got like 10 years or so of new Star Wars movies coming plus the cartoons and who knows what else... That is going to be a long time to have to listen to people complaining about the Star Wars that's not their Star Wars anymore..... Get over it please or move on....

No, its not because its a toy. I'm aware the 'real' thing will look better, but it just does look off. Don't get me wrong, I love the direction that Rebels is taking in terms of the rebel crew, and the design of Ezra's blaster/saber reflects that. I'm looking forward to the saber itself being shown off more in future, but I'm curious as to how it'll work out.

I'm also REALLY excited about everything coming up in the SW universe! :D
Proud owner of:       JSK1 - Jaina Solo Kotobukiya lightsaber - created by Bombarta
Harp's Starkiller/Kylo Ren fusion - Prizm                      
Deadpool's Deathstick - CS2.5 Reveal, JQsabers               
JK-Sabers Battle damaged/Reveal Maul - Empty             
US Raven
Korbanth:
 Darth Maul - Empty
 Duke - NBv2, JQSabers
 Qui Gon - NBv2, MasterSabers

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 10:42:30 AM »
Not a fan of any above.  :-\
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline Kun2112

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »
Everything is personal preference after all.
Myself? I don't like most of the prequel sabers. The clan sabers are the worst offenders IMHO, to me they look like something fresh off a lathe, just tapped for thumb screws. Ep II-III Mace, Dooku, Anakin mkI (but this is kinda a MPP with silver shroud), and Yoda's are the best from PT. The OT sabers (and Yoda's) have an instinctual presence that tells you that they do something, because they were made from found parts that did actually do something.
I am getting that vibe on Kanan's and Ezra's.

retrousse