fiduciary

Author Topic: My first Graflex... On it's way to an FX Luxeon!  (Read 21014 times)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
Re: My first Graflex... On it's way to an FX Luxeon!
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2009, 11:17:39 AM »
I'm sorry I missed you chime in yesterday B.  Good to see you back buddy.  ;D  You've been missed.

I too can't wait for the final unveiling.  This has been a long anticipated build for both of us.  I'm glad to see you finally have a US coming your way.  Good to see you also covered up that covertec wheel.  ;D

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2009, 02:01:51 PM »
I'm at work, and the wife just called to tell me it's there!  GAH!

Hour and a half to go, then it's gonna be an evening of soldering, charging, assembling and VWOOOMMMM!!!  8)

Thanks Ultra!
Thanks Yoda!
Thanks Luke!

:)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »
Dude that rocks.  I feel your pain.  Get ready for your first ignition.  It's going to take your breath away.   You'll feel like luke skywalker.  For Real.  ;D  I did.  :D

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2009, 02:40:02 PM »
Lol.  I know that feeling.   ;)

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2009, 08:56:47 AM »
Thanks guys!

It's nearly complete!  Got the board, got the blade, (need to sand the blade down some, I'm wondering if I got the standard and not the FX as I'd hoped... No big, I can sand it.)

Yes, that first ignition has happened, and WOW!  Still needs some fine tuning though, I need to put speaker holes in the pommel.  Need to sort out what's wrong with my accent LED, and like I said, need to sand the blade down.  But as it is, she's working like a charm!

Keep in mind this is my first Graflex, and first saber building experience in it's fullest, and a satisfying thing it is to see it working!
Before this, I've had little to no soldering experience, and all I know of electronics, I've learned in here and at the TCSS boards.  It's been awesome!  I was scared as heck soldering everything to the board, but after the first couple I got in the groove and it went together nicely.  But there was that moment, when the batteries were charged, the wires were soldered on, and it was that moment to click in the batteries... You all know that feeling now I'm sure!  Is the friggin thing gonna work or not?! 

It worked, and then it didn't!  It cut out!  Second time putting the batteries in, worked again, then cut out again. What the?!  But then I remembered that the board needed to be secured to the chassis, so I put it in, and have had no problems with it.  Only exception being the accent LED, and chances are that with that I've probably got the wrong amperage or something so I'll look into those numbers again as to what it should be.  The accent LED isn't a deal breaker for me, it was just gonna be more eye bling in the hilt when it's opened.

So there you have it.  I still feel like a newbie, but I've got one saber on my belt now with the thanks of Luke here, and of course the Master, Yoda!

I can't wait to start my next saber! (An MHS design)

When I get her finalized, with the speaker holes, and try another stab at the LED, then I'll post pics and hopefully a video.  8)

MTFBWY... Always.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:00:03 AM by Baena »

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2009, 01:35:48 PM »
This is sounding cooler and cooler, I'm really looking forward to seeing final pics.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2009, 06:53:11 AM »
That's awesome Baena.  I can't wait to see your final review when all done.

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2010, 09:29:06 AM »
Oi vey... So sorry to have let this drop.  :-\

I've been wrapped up with some family things, holidays, basement finishing, and freelance projects, basically real life stuff and that has kept me from really finalizing my saber here.

It's more or less done.  I used it at Halloween walking the kids around the neighborhood.  It works great.  I still have yet to fix the accent led and drill sound holes in the base, but all in all I've been very happy with my saber.  My son (16 months) can't get enough of it.  He thinks it's his.  And frankly, someday it will be his. "This was your father's lightsaber!"  :D

Still hope to put at least some photos together when it is "complete".

Looks like things have slowed way down around here though... Tough economic times I'm guessing?  Or is there a new saber technology people are all hot n' bothered about lately?

Best!  :)

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »
Welcome back Baena!

No, things are still pretty much in full swing, lotsa options for single point high power leds, ....Luxeons getting discontinued, but LEDengine, rebels, P4/P5 still keeping us in awe.

Soundboard shortages here and there, but new one on the horizon.

I am personally awaiting the arrival the of the newer HFX sabers with removeable blades, .....hopefully converting them will be as easy or easier than the current models.

Offline Baena

• Padawan Learner
    • My illustration blog
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 12:42:26 PM »
Yeah the HFX sabers sound interesting.

I think my next project will be a MKIII Obi Wan saber using a Parks replica. I just love the look of that thing.
Need to do a Vader at some point too.  Both of these would probably require me making my own chassis for them somehow but that's the fun of it right?  ;D

What new soundboard?  Looks like I've got some reading to dig through!
Is it another Ultra Sound version? Something else?

Thanks for the heads up Chewbacca.  8)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 04:33:36 PM »
Welcome back B, 

Long time no see.  We've missed you.  I am always ready to read a nice graflex review.  I'm on the egde of my seat.

New soundboards would include the CF v5 due out hopefullin this summer and the much rumored and equally anticipate TCSS soundboard.  Good things happening.  But you're right there is a bit of a slowdown.  Things are still selling and progressing in technology but sabers seem to sit a bit longer on the shelf and don't command the prices they did a year of two ago.

retrousse