fiduciary

Author Topic: Obscure tools, tips & tricks of the trade  (Read 31044 times)

Offline Morannon

• Force User
  • “Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”
Re: Obscure tools, tips & tricks of the trade
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »
Not sure how obscure this is, but Sugru is a lifesaver. Mouldable glue that holds well, but can easily be removed if you need to make repairs. I use it for securing little things, or speakers into speaker holders.

I have yet to try but definitely want to.

When you do, make sure you seal up whatever you don't use really well. The stuff turns into a rubber bullet if left out too long.

Rebellion Run Jacen Solo
GCS Ascend

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
  • That lightsaber... is mine!
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 10:20:38 AM »
It may sound absurd, but I used putty to keep the switch nut from loosening. Still easy to remove if  necessary .

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2018, 10:36:28 AM »

pipe reamer - deburs both the inside and outside of the a tube.  Useful when using a pipe cutter to cut your tubing, can also be used for a slight chamfer. (pro tip, run it backwards for softer materials)

Almost forgot, the reamer is also very effective at shaving off the raised lip from your polycarbonate blade!

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »
Almost forgot about this one. A mini orbital sander... made from an old electric toothbrush, double sided foam tape and of course sand paper. Got the idea off of some model maker video on youtube.

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »
Almost forgot about this one. A mini orbital sander... made from an old electric toothbrush, double sided foam tape and of course sand paper. Got the idea off of some model maker video on youtube.

I love that one! New tool added to my shop...

Offline Morannon

• Force User
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 07:57:33 PM »

Adding that one for sure

Rebellion Run Jacen Solo
GCS Ascend

Offline BipeFlyer

• Padawan Learner
  • Taking my first steps into a larger world.
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
Shapelock  There are other brands too.  Look for Polycaprolactone or Polymorph Thermoplastic.  You heat it up in hot water and mould the shape you want.

I've used it to make mounts for perfbord.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »

Here's a quick video demonstrating how I cut my blade stock.  Using a bit of 1/2" pvc and a pipe cutter (as noted earlier), you can have a clean, dust free blade ready to go with a nice rounded edge perfect for inserting into your blade holder!

Offline Morannon

• Force User
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »

Here's a quick video demonstrating how I cut my blade stock.  Using a bit of 1/2" pvc and a pipe cutter (as noted earlier), you can have a clean, dust free blade ready to go with a nice rounded edge perfect for inserting into your blade holder!

Always wonder why more people don't do this

Rebellion Run Jacen Solo
GCS Ascend

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2018, 06:37:50 AM »
Okay, here's a couple I use:

Junior Jigsaw/Coping Saw Blade in an X-acto knife holder

I got this one from a Punished Props video. the X-acto holds on to a blade surprisingly well, and with a little patience, it can go through aluminium, no problem. it works like a miniature jab/keyhole saw. I normally have thin coping saw blades in there, which makes it great for inserting into drill holes and cutting into those hard to reach places.

Miniature chisels made from sharpened Jeweller's screwdrivers

Not so much a metalwork tool, but I've ended up using these somehow on every build of mine. really useful for shaping 3D printed parts- especially Shapeways prints. I've also used them as improvised turning tools for my attempts at turning things on my drill press, to great success.

Got to give a shout out to Milliput epoxy putties. great stuff for filling him holes that shouldn't be there, and it's water sculptable. I know old modellers who swear by the stuff. the only downside is that I understand that it's one of those products that hasn't made it Stateside, so it might be hard to get cheaply outside the UK.

I also use high-grit scotch brite-type pads. I can't remember the proper brand name, but I get it at a wood shop in the polishing section. I use it for finishing instead of wet sandpaper, or before anodising. It gives as a good a result as sandpaper, and can be cleaned out, dried and re-used, unlike sandpaper.
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »

Always wonder why more people don't do this

Love it. I havent done many diy blades but I've always done hacksaw. And yeah, the dust sucks. This is much cleaner and efficient.

Okay, here's a couple I use:

Junior Jigsaw/Coping Saw Blade in an X-acto knife holder

I got this one from a Punished Props video. the X-acto holds on to a blade surprisingly well, and with a little patience, it can go through aluminium, no problem. it works like a miniature jab/keyhole saw. I normally have thin coping saw blades in there, which makes it great for inserting into drill holes and cutting into those hard to reach places.

Miniature chisels made from sharpened Jeweller's screwdrivers

Not so much a metalwork tool, but I've ended up using these somehow on every build of mine. really useful for shaping 3D printed parts- especially Shapeways prints. I've also used them as improvised turning tools for my attempts at turning things on my drill press, to great success.

Got to give a shout out to Milliput epoxy putties. great stuff for filling him holes that shouldn't be there, and it's water sculptable. I know old modellers who swear by the stuff. the only downside is that I understand that it's one of those products that hasn't made it Stateside, so it might be hard to get cheaply outside the UK.

I also use high-grit scotch brite-type pads. I can't remember the proper brand name, but I get it at a wood shop in the polishing section. I use it for finishing instead of wet sandpaper, or before anodising. It gives as a good a result as sandpaper, and can be cleaned out, dried and re-used, unlike sandpaper.

Genius!!

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »
Moltow Liquid Chrome Paint Marker... AMAZING! Saw Adam Savage using it.

Mirror finish on smooth surfaces. No joke, I can see myself in it. Cast aluminum look on unfinished shapeways prints.

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »

Mirror finish on smooth surfaces. No joke, I can see myself in it. Cast aluminum look on unfinished shapeways prints.

I've played with that stuff.  I like it.  The only downside is that pretty much any clear coat dulls the finish quite a bit and the fact that the stuff never fully hardens (even with oven baking and letting the painted part sit for months) so it cannot stand up to very much handling before the finish dulls.  Great for "shelf queen" items though.  There's an in-depth thread on these markers over at the RPF.  It's a good read.

Offline Seth Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
  • That lightsaber... is mine!
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »

Huh, I might actually have one of those, not sure but do you know if they come in other colors like copper or brass?

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2018, 01:17:00 PM »
 I've been trying to think of something to share that nobody uses but I'm struggling thinking of something.

I bought a set of ESD safe tweezers months and months ago for installing smd LED’s I use them sometimes.

But more often I use these. I had a pair from my fly fishing gear years ago. I use them for grabbing wires to pull through on my saber building mostly. Sometimes you have a tight spot and they come in handy. I've actually had a pair for over 20 years that I got from the hospital when they had to put a pick line in me for IV antibiotics. I go to them all the time. They are my favorite!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:26:22 PM by Jediseth »

retrousse