fiduciary

Author Topic: Wat Tambor/Orbital Machining - Notice for forum members  (Read 5549 times)

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
Wat Tambor/Orbital Machining - Notice for forum members
« on: October 17, 2013, 11:19:20 AM »
I just want to inform the membership here at FX-SABERs that I am going to be out of commission for a few weeks.  I will probably be around the forum, but as far as work on saber related projects, I won't be getting much done for about 6 weeks.

6 weeks ago, I suffered a pinched nerve in my left leg.  I ended up having an Epidural Spinal Injection to help ease the pain but the numbness in my left foot and ankle never went away.  I had an MRI earlier this week and I have spinal extrusions in the L2 through S1 vertebrea.  Two are minor and not an issue (normal age related), one is ruptured and one is bulging.  I will be having surgery to take care of this issues as early as Monday next week.  I will miss at least 1 to 2 weeks of work and then be on light duty for an additional 4-5 weeks.

I know that I have several projects outstanding (LEGO saber, Concept saber, and pommels) and I will complete them when I recover and am back to full working speed.  I am asking for everyone's patience while I recover and get back to work.  I want to apologize for any inconvenience this may cause anyone and I hope you can understand.

Erik

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
Re: Wat Tambor/Orbital Machining - Notice for forum members
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:43:49 AM »
you take all the time you need brother. health is the number 1 priority, sabers come later.
rest up and we will talk to you soon. God bless my friend.

we are all here backing you up  :))

Offline Silver Serpent

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Yes, rest and recover.  Follow the doctor's advice.  Don't try to work earlier than the doc says you should, or you may end up worse than you started.  I've known a couple people in similar situations as yours that didn't stay away from work as long as they should have, and are still hurting.

We'll still be here waiting patiently.  :)

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »
Good luck Erik, surgery is no fun but at least it should take care of your problems.

Time to catch up on some Star Wars novels!

Offline daddy solo

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:57:31 PM »
Thanks to my own back probs AND my wife being a physiatrist (rehab doc), I understand where you're coming from. Do what you have to do to rehab yourself post op and come back to us soon. Feel better!

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 08:15:50 PM »
Health>Sabers
take care of yourself buddy, we can all wait.
No RUSH, hope you feel better soon :(

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:52:50 PM »
The last thing you need to be thinking about is work.  Your number one priority is to focus on your health.  I wish you the best with your surgery and a smooth/ speedy recovery!

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:08:57 AM »
Erik, wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 03:34:01 PM »
Had the surgery Monday morning.  Was home about noon.  One disc took a little longer than expected as it was calcified.  Evidently, I ruputered that disc quite a while ago and have just been living with it (and it's pain) not knowing about it.  The second disc was pretty routine.  The numbness in the left ankle has subsided quite a bit, but the numbness in the left foot is still there.  Knees feel a bit better and climbing the stairs does not hurt as much.  Hard to tell where I stand witht he back pain - the back muscles are very sore (I was told this would be the likely pain center) and they pretty much are what I am feeling know.  I have been able to sleep on my sides which was almost impossible before, so I think there is definitely some refief.  Gonna take it slow and hope to get back to work as soon as I am able, even though it will be light duty.  Thanks to all who expressed concern.  I appreciate it.

Erik

Offline Pfockerchief

• Master Force User
  • (Fa-ker-chief)
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 03:41:58 PM »
Erik I'm glad to hear your surgery went well.  Sounds like you were living with some bad pain.  I wish you the best as you mend fully.
Yoda Vintage GFIV, GFV
LDM Obi Bronzium Reveal
LDM MKVI ROTJ PC2 V2 #27
SP/LDM Sid
SJ Obi Romans Reveal
GCS CF6 CEX Asc#14/PC2 Asc AE/Custom Badaxx
OR Adi-Galia CF6
VV Luke Hero/Tempest/Wraths

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 03:53:23 PM »
Sounds positive so far - take it gently, wishing you a quick recovery and feeling progressively better and more mended as you do  ;)

Offline Wookiee Man

• Experienced Force User
  • A.K.A Tom Cruise
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
About 7 years ago, I was stretching on the floor when my son jumped on my back & felt a pop in my lower back. A warm sensation ran down from glut down to my foot. A week later I had back problems for several months. I purchase a new bed hoping that cause my back to hurt which wasn't the case. I finally went to the doctor got a MRI in which it was a disc petrutting pushing on my sciatic nerve. The spine & brain surgeon wanted to operate on me & I was to scared. Two weeks after finding I had a herniated disc I couldn't stand the pain any longer. I went to the ER & informed the doctor on the situation & he gave me 2 shots of steroids in my glut area. Each shot contained about 70 of those oral steroids packets they give you for pain. Two days later the lower back & sciatic nerve pain went away. From then on, I decided to exercise my lower back at the gym to strength my core back muscels to prevent this from happening. I realized that I was getting old & needed to constant exercise & stretch my body. The disc pooped back into place & I WAS LUCKY!
I hope the best & speedy recovery for you Wat Tambor!!!

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 09:38:33 AM »
Hey Wat,

Glad to hear that your surgery was successful.  It's a major one and will probably take some considerable time to fully heal.  Just do exactly as the doctor orders and wishing you a speedy and smooth recovery!

Offline DarthSithWalker

• Force User
  • AusSabers@Gmail.Com
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »
Get Well soon mate

Offline Acerocket

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 02:06:19 PM »
Just a little update.

Recovery is progressing well.  I was able to remove the hard plates from the back brace two weeks ago and just use the soft portion.  I still have another two weeks before I can get off the soft brace.  I am back at work, but with the 10 pound lifting restrictions, it isn't going very fast.  Still tired and weak from the surgery so I don't get as much done in a day.  Add in the back brace resrticing movement (and making sitting uncomfortable), also keeps production down.  I am off the pain medicine, but still taking Iburofen for stiffness.  THe numbness is still rpesent, and I had a minor scare last week.  I had a leg cramp (up in the thigh) and the next day, I was in pretty good pain from the leg numbness.  I talked to the doctor and the the concensus is that we will wait until my appointment in two weeks and re-evaluate.  He put me on a nerve medicine and it seems to be helping.  In two weeks, if the doctor thinks it is neccessary, I will get another MRI to check the recovery.  THe doctor doesn't seem to concerned yet - he did say that I wa snot a typical case.  It was a double herniatio, with one being over a year old.  With the amount of disc material removed and the long term nerve pressure, my recovery will be a little longer and more difficult than the normal case.

Now, as far as the projects I have going.

LEGO saber:  With the exception of reboring the emitters to fit the different blade types, and the adapters, all the machining is finished.  I have the colored blades in hand and I have already measured them (6 different colors and there are 4 different blade diameters - the sizes are not too consistent between the colors).  The clear blade material has been ordered and I am just awaiting it's delivery (I expect it any day now).  When it comes in, I will get it measured and model up the adapters I need for those who are getting clear and colored blades.  Because of the lifting restrictions, I cannot change the chuck on my lathe to hold the large sized emitters.  The chuck weighs 30 pounds and I have to twist and turn into the machine to change it so I cannot do that at the moment.  Once I can get teh chuck changed, I will have the info I need and get the emitters rebored and adapters made.

Concept saber run:  As with the LEGO sabers, I need the large chuck to begin the work on these.  I have a habit of machining the outer body sections before I do the inner components or greeblies/accessories.  It's just how I work and it helps me avoid issues in fitment.  I have done a couple of the parts so far, but it is on hold until I can get to the point where I can change chucks.

Obi pommels:  As with the LEGO and Concept sabers, one part of these need the larger chuck to complete.  I have gotten some work on these completed, but with 80+ of them, they are going to take a littlw while to complete.  I hope to get some more work done on these this weekend barring not falling behind onmy regualr workload and the holiday coming up.

Black Mamba:  Yes, I posted another job to get teh ball rolling.  With the price of these, I figure I would need a few weeks or more to fill spots.  This run won't start until after the first of the year (barring not needing a second round of back surgery)  and I will start with the spine components which are mill only.  So I can work on these while I am doing other parts ont eh lathe.

Future plans:  I do indeed have some projects to announce, and they keep piling up right now.  I don't expect to announce anything until after teh first of the year.  Timing will depend on how the medical issues go down, and how soon I can wrap up a few of the outstanding jobs I have.

I'd like to thank everyone for their patience, and I apologize that some of these projects have taken longer than expected.

Erik

retrousse