fiduciary

Author Topic: " The Force is strong with this one"  (Read 6322 times)

Offline Gexmeister

• No Force
  • User of an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
    • Larsson & Nordahl
" The Force is strong with this one"
« on: April 07, 2009, 11:03:48 AM »
Well, finally, today, my first saber ever arrived, and ANH Vader (2007). I was expecting a Hasbro one due to a lack of description at the online store I bought it from, but instead I got an MR! As this is my first saber ever (but more are sure to come) my review is from a beginners perspective.
I've been a Star Wars fan for a long time,  collecting the films, DVD's, comics, books, posters,and some of the action figures and such,but it's not until now that I've actually decided to start collecting sabers and such. I've been looking at the Force FX's for a long time and finally decided to buy one last week.

The Box

I can't really say a lot about it, but it had a nice design, and felt really cool. A plus for the pics of the other sabers available.

The Hilt

The first thing that struck me (even as I just held the box) was that it was heavier than I expected, a lot heavier. But I certainly don't mind as that makes the whole thing feel more like a "real" weapon and less like a toy. Lots of metal add to that feeling, and since it was George Lucas original intention that the sabers were to have a lot of weight, this feels right.
On the minus side (or is it really the plus side?), fingerprints easily smudge the chromed parts of the hilt.

Blade
The blade itself seems surprisingly durable (I accidentally destroyed a lightbulb with it.  ;D
But it's not as bright as I expected, but that can be attributed to the fact that I've mostly been trying it out in fairly bright environments. It also has a kind of yellowy colour when photographed, but that is common I've heard.
But overall, I'm satisfied.

Overall
I'm very satisfied with this saber, and I'll definately be bying more of these (and I'm looking at some of the .45 sabers too). My next saber will probably be the ANH Luke, you know, to balance all the dark side energy from this saber  ;) I won't give an overall score because: A. This is my first saber, so I currently do not have anything to compare it to, and B. I got it today, so I'm not entirely used to it. But I will say that this was everything I expected and more.

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
Re: " The Force is strong with this one"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:15:55 AM »
Hmmm.. seems like you need to give it a luxeon makover, with a nice Bin 2 red-orange, just like the color of Vader's saber in ANH. And it'll be brighter...
If you are interested in that:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MR-or-Hasbro-FX-Vader-conversion-kit-P343.aspx
Although I totally understand if you prefer to keep it stock, for the collectable aspect and  all that.
Good review¡

Offline Gexmeister

• No Force
    • Larsson & Nordahl
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 03:09:24 PM »
Thank you for the link, that's interesting! I'll look into that, but for now, I think I'll keep it unmodified. But who knows what I'll do later down the road?

Offline Senti Xamas

• Master Force User
  • When the light is green, the trap is clean.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:15:07 PM »
Congrats on the first saber! Mine was the ESB 2005 Vader. Im up to 10 sabers now, 2 custom and 3 converted so far. Good luck trying to keep money in your account. This hobby is expensive!

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »
Yeah, I understand keeping it unmodified. But you may want to get your hands on that blade holder, while it's in stock. That way, in a few months, or even years, and you want to convert it, you will have one, while the store may easily be out of stock. Just a thought.

Offline Master Dai Bendu

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 05:03:14 PM »
I'm up to 3 Vaders now 2 of the 2005 version and 1 of the 2007 version.

I had originally planned on keeping one of the '05 ones and the '07 unchanged, but I think I will convert both of those now.

I really would like to display them next to the Graflex in a curio or something, and think they would look better with the removable blades.

Welcome to the hobby, and the Forum  ;D

Offline sbkmike1974

• Experienced Force User
  • Fastest speeder bike pilot this side of Hoth!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 05:23:13 PM »
Nice 1st time review Gex!  Good to have you at the forums! ;)

"What do you mean you've never seen Star Wars?  Your kidding right?... Please tell me your kidding?"

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »
Welcome to the Forums and great review! Pics would be appreciated.  ;)

To wipe off the fingerprints, I use a 3M microfiber towel. Master Yoda recommended a much better solution in this thread:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=568.0

Keep the reviews coming!

Offline Gexmeister

• No Force
    • Larsson & Nordahl
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 07:52:13 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, this really seems like a great forum where people are genuinely nice, as opposed to some boards that I have been one in the past.

Dakrsaber 3, your advice is good. Maybe I really should but that so that I won't have to regret not buying it later.

I was gonna buy an ANH Luke in a couple of days but other things got in the way....Namely my first .45 scaled saber, and the stand for it, and some Star Wars books and comics. But next month, that Luke is mine! :D

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 06:47:21 PM »
The luke ANH huh? Nice. Have you considered this option?:
http://www.ultrasabers.com/Luke_ANH_p/ufx-ls-anh.htm
Especially in the Sunrider's Destiny color, just like in some parts of ANH:
http://www.ultrasabers.com/v/ebay/bladecolors.jpg
It is a forum exclusive for members here only, last I checked. I believe, when you orde,r you just don;t select a color, and put in the comments, I would like the Sunrider's destiny color. It is probably my favorite color out there. You should really check it out.
Personally, my favorite FX that I want is the Obi-wan, but I think I'm going to go for customs from now on. Both my FX's have been gifts, adn that will elave something for birthdays and stuff hehehe.

Offline Gexmeister

• No Force
    • Larsson & Nordahl
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 07:20:25 AM »
Oh, that one looks awesome! I'll definately consider that! Man, everyone on this forum is so nice :D

Offline Darksaber 3

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 08:48:33 AM »
Hehehe, NP. Just so you know though, I have an Anakin ROTS< which s very similar to the Luke ANH (has clamp in same spot, bunny ears, etc) and it isn't the most comfortable to duel with and hold. So if that is what you want to do, I might suggest a different one, like the maul or obi. However, if it's for display, it's all good. Also, another thing: If you are using for display, be aware that if you upgrade to a Lux LED, it looses the scrolling effect.

retrousse