fiduciary

Author Topic: You, Your Dremel and You! (a very basic tutorial)  (Read 59650 times)

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
Re: You, Your Dremel and You! (a very basic tutorial)
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2009, 08:48:52 AM »
Also, just a note: You may be burning through those discs if you are going against the rotation of the wheel. It gives more control to go that way and you get less "slips", but its harder on the discs and the dremel. I usually get through two or three sets of shrouds (brass) with those, though now I use the twist and lock versions as the screw type mandrel sometimes the screw would get hot and warped not allowing for a disc change, or the disc would come loose wearing a biiger hole around the screw then ruining the disc when it still had plenty of cutting life :-\ When cutting aluminum shrouds, nothing seems to last long :-\

Offline Darth Centorus

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Kel-Qui
    • My "crazybrittishninja" YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2009, 03:31:28 PM »
don't worry MJ I wasn't going to go out and buy everything on the list  ;D  as there are tool's on there for electronics and I have no clue on electronics  ???, I was just going to go through it and see if there was anything that I should need eg. Tap and Dies & table top vice and clamps. One thing that I did notice that is missing that should be a basic tool(s): handfiles and sandpaper.

FenderBender: I think that is most proberly the reason as I forget that it works differently to a saw, a saw when it cuts cuts better against the the shape of the teeth but the disc on the dremel grinds the material away (please correct me if I'm wrong)

;D thanks again guy's for all your help  ;D

OH! one other thing how thick are the sink tubes you use as the one I have is about 1mm thick not sure if the ones you use are thinner, just wondered if that was also a factor of going through the disc's so quickly?

My Sabers
Spirit - Custom build by JQ Sabers
MR Luke ESB
MR Anakin ROTS <signed by Dave Prowse
Stunt saber no electronics
1 Half of the Twin Dragon - MHS custom build by me

Offline Darth Frodo

• Experienced Force User
  • Ahhh..Does not compute..Ahhh..Your under arrest
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2009, 03:36:32 PM »
I think its 22 gauge

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2009, 06:38:50 PM »
This tutorial is going to come in VERY handy for me in the very near future... ;D

Thank you for posting this!

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »
Also, just a note: You may be burning through those discs if you are going against the rotation of the wheel. It gives more control to go that way and you get less "slips", but its harder on the discs and the dremel. I usually get through two or three sets of shrouds (brass) with those, though now I use the twist and lock versions as the screw type mandrel sometimes the screw would get hot and warped not allowing for a disc change, or the disc would come loose wearing a biiger hole around the screw then ruining the disc when it still had plenty of cutting life :-\ When cutting aluminum shrouds, nothing seems to last long :-\

Fender, you probably have had this idea already, and it isn't a dremel idea, but when cutting aluminum, try a small air powered rotary tool with some smaller sized heavy duty cutoff wheels. 8) 8) It works when i'm cutting a non saber related part at the shop, and the discs last so much longer... When we cut the quarters off of a 1960's era parts car, it only takes one wheel to cut about 3 yards of material. Perhaps cutting aluminum is totally different though.

Also, since this applies to Dremels, when cutting anything with a wheel, stop frequently and allow for a cool down period. It will make you discs last longer and generally speaking, it will make the cutting quicker.

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, when I order cutting wheels, I buy 100 at a time   ;D

Ok... so another way to de-burr and "finish" your edges.... go back to that video where I show you how to sand a sinktube.  Same premise.

Let's start fresh...

After I've taken the chrome off, I would draw out my design on graph paper and glue it to the sinnktube but for purposes of this class  ;D , I'll draw my line directly on the tube (cause I want to show you something in a minute  ;) )

Here's what it looks like after I'm done cutting.

Lot of burrs right?  Both inside and outside.

Also... notice something here?

I DID NOT cut DIRECTLY on my line. The line is the ABSOLUTE.  If something happens, say I take off too much during the 'de-burring' process... then there's no going back.  Once it's gone... it's gone. So I leave me a bit of breathing room.  The goal is to sand down to that line.

First thing I'm going to do is de-burr the inside of the tube with a sanding drum.  Always at a 45 degree angle and NOT a 90 degree.  The goal here is to remove the burrs, NOT get to the line (yet).

Next, with a large hand file laid down on my table, I'll LIGHTLY scrape the sinktube across it.  I'm also rotating the sinktube between my fingers while I'm doing this.  This ensures straight, even edges.  I do this UNTIL I reach those lines.  It doesn't take long... maybe a few minutes on each side.

Now, bust out your drill and attach your stop plug.  Obviously, this shroud is too small put directly on the stop plug... so you'll make a "Shroud Supporter" <------- patent pending  :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

reciepe:
One 12 inch 1.5 sinktube
3 8/32 X 1/4 screws

directions:
Cut 2 inches off of sink tube...save for later
Slice remaing 10 inches of sink tube directly down the middle.
insert 10 in peice inside 2 inch peice
drill and secure with the 3 8/32 screws.

Ta-dah!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok... now attach you new shroud supporter to your stop plug.  Slide your shroud onto said supporter.

With 600 grit sandpaper lightly wrapped around the shroud, pull the trigger and SLOWLY move the sandpaper back and forth over the tube.  (if you do it too fast, you'll scratch horizontal lines in your sinktube)

Move up in succesion to 1500 grit. Do this till you reach the desired texture. 
While the shroud is still on the supporter, I apply a little Mother's Mag or Brasso and then remove with a soft, clean rag. 

And voila'!

So not only did we de-burr... we also smoothed and ROUNDED out these edged AND polished the shroud. 
The rounded edges gives it a "milled" look.  More professional and not sharp edges to cut your hands on!
Go figure! 

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Master Jedye

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2009, 06:11:32 PM »
BTW, Darth Baleful... that piece I just cut in that last post, should look pretty familiar to you.  (I cut them in half after I posted this)  ;)

And Darth Caden, I think this also answers your question.  If not, let me know.

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2009, 06:15:18 PM »
Hey MJ! Thanks for the PM about your pics! Very helpful. ;) 8) 8) The shroud support idea is very ingenious!

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline Darth_Baleful

• Master Force User
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2009, 06:52:23 PM »
i thought they looked fermiliar :D that piece is all mine fellas ;) lol  its great to see a master at work 8)

MTFBWY
Praise be the order brought forth from the very edge of chaos.

There is only one return. And it's not of the King, it's of the JEDI

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »
Durangus is correct. 
This looks like a good job for some tiny hand files. 

Sit down with it... and lightly file down those edges while you're watching "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown".  ;D  It takes time and patience.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else and good luck!

Thread revival, but what hand files are those?

Offline Master Jedye

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »
What are you asking?

Those are hand files... smaller files of various grit.  (???)

Offline Dark Navel

• Master Force User

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
What are you asking?

Those are hand files... smaller files of various grit.  (???)

Check out the link: :o

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=general+6+piece+needle+file+set&ved=0CCgQrQQwAg&cid=3145276591144194224&sa=title#p

Pretty strait forward...

MJ all I was asking was what specific set of hand files were those? And thanks Navel for the link!

Offline Gabywan

• Master Force User
  • Que nunca muera el niƱo que llevamos adentro...
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2010, 09:21:17 PM »
this topic is awesome my friend, I am learning very much!!
Really thanks. :)

Offline Master Jedye

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2010, 01:10:00 PM »

MJ all I was asking was what specific set of hand files were those? And thanks Navel for the link!

Oh.  Well I just used those as an example.  I'm not sure EXACTLY what brand I'm using since I buy these things often.  They pretty much all work the same.   ;)  I've had a few that used that handle thingy, but I don't care for it too much.  Too bulky. 

And thanks, Gaby!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:13:34 PM by Master Jedye »

retrousse