fiduciary

Author Topic: Why is MHS sleeving insulated?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Why is MHS sleeving insulated?
« on: November 29, 2018, 10:44:48 AM »
Okay, so I'm scratching my head on this one. I'm mid build, laying out some cut marks by electro etching (as I described here Obscure tools, tips & tricks of the trade ) on some MHS sleeve. And it's a no go. no matter how much I try etching the sleeve, it makes no mark at all. And yet, if I try the same trick on a) regular MHS pieces, b) 6063 aluminium tubing, 2) 6082 aluminium bar, it etches easily.

Which leads me to draw only one conclusion: there's something insulating the MHS sleeving. I got out my multimeter and what do you know, the outer diameter just isn't electrically conductive at all. the inner diameter conducts fine, but the outer one does not.

I can't wrap my head around that at all. I mean, given the number of finishes (etching, powder coating, anodizing) that use electricity, why on earth is the sleeving material coated in something insulated?
Better late than never.

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Why is MHS sleeving insulated?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »
I’ve noticed that as well. It has to be the way they get it from their supplier, because for many of our applications, which you listed, it doesn’t work.

In my line of work ( aerospace finishing ) it’s easy to remove if you have a polishing wheel or access to one.  That will restore the conductivity, and you’ll know when you break through to the tube underneath.

But to answer your question, who knows. On our end, it’s just an extra prep step :/

Darkmatter73

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 06:35:38 PM »
They have said before that the sleeve tubing is bright dipped. 

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 06:39:03 PM »
You can probably sand down to the bare metal with some work. How easy it is depends on what kind of tools you have access to. I assume the exterior is protected from corrosion for storage from TCSS's supplier.

Offline Jediseth

• Force User
  • Jediseth sound fonts available at saberfont.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 06:44:58 PM »
I would bet Tim over at TCSS is probably the one to ask.  If anyone knows it would be him.  Sure it’s protects long term, but it’s a good question.  Perhaps it’s made for something else beside lightsaber sleeve material.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 02:16:41 AM »
I can't really think that's it's a corrosion resistance thing, given aluminium's natural resistance to corrosion in the first place. Still, I can work around it. It's just weird quirk, I guess.

I have to say, though, given the number of modified sleeves I've seen on sabers over the years, I'm surprised that this is the first time I've noticed this little quirk. I'd have thought someone would have just mentioned "Oh, this stuff is coated in something" in passing once.
Better late than never.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
I can't really think that's it's a corrosion resistance thing, given aluminium's natural resistance to corrosion in the first place. Still, I can work around it. It's just weird quirk, I guess.
Aluminum actually will corrode, it just won't rust like iron and steel. Instead it forms a layer of aluminum oxide which actually will protect the metal underneath somewhat, but it dulls the finish. Oils from your hands can also have a dulling effect on the finish over time. I think the coating is probably there to protect the shinny look of the sleeve material.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 06:23:10 AM »
Aluminum actually will corrode, it just won't rust like iron and steel. Instead it forms a layer of aluminum oxide which actually will protect the metal underneath somewhat, but it dulls the finish. Oils from your hands can also have a dulling effect on the finish over time. I think the coating is probably there to protect the shinny look of the sleeve material.

As good as idea as any, I suppose.

Anyway, for anyone who is interested, the fastest way I found to remove the coating was to dunk my piece of sleeving in a lye bath for about thirty seconds. I used about 700ml tap water and a couple of teaspoons of caustic soda drain cleaner, followed by running it under a tap for a good five minutes.

Wear gloves and face shielding, lye is VERY nasty stuff.
Better late than never.

Offline Kreyhn

• No Force
  • BZZSHZRRMMmmmmm...
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 08:09:38 AM »
And keep a window open and a fan running.  Don't wanna inhale that stuff.

retrousse