fiduciary

Author Topic: Oggdo Killer Install  (Read 715 times)

Offline Mi3lpops

• No Force
  • Hello there
Oggdo Killer Install
« on: January 12, 2021, 04:57:20 PM »
Hello,

I acquired an Oggdo Killer hilt by Denis Lukyanov and I would need some advice for the install. It's basically my first proper install.

Config:
I'm interested in having sound effect and would like to see the crystal Chamber, although I do not really care about the brightness.
I already designed my own chassis for the chambers and printed it.

For the install I choose a tri-cree blue-blue-white and a Verso soundboard by KR.

Issue:
As the brightness of the blade is not my main goal, I wanted to keep it safer and install everything with 3 AAA batteries. Unfortunately, it appears that the Verso does not support it, as nothing happened when I finished the installation.

so here are my questions:
1/ is there a solution for me to keep a configuration using AAA?

2/ if I have to go with a 18650 battery, after considering several options in my chassis design, it appears that the only place left would be in the Metal black part of the damaged side.
Although I do not have a 18650 at home to see in real how it goes, from the measures I took, it seems that it would be just enough space to fit it in here. But would it be a good idea to place the battery in that part and connect to the rest with a JST connector?

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: Oggdo Killer Install
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 07:00:41 PM »
Maybe show a screenshot of your chassis and wiring diagram.  You will definitely get more help with more detail to support the request.   18650s are pretty standard, but it’s all about the voltage and current...I believe the verso, like the other standard boards need ~3.7v and 10-15 amps depending on leds used, so probably best to stick to what works.

Offline Mi3lpops

• No Force
  • Hello there
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 04:35:48 AM »
Hello thanks, I might indeed completely start over and use a 18650 as it seems the most easy way to go.

My current chassis looks like this :

The thin part of the bottom is due to connection between the 2 metal parts which is only 2cm wide.

My wirings has been made as below:

to use a 18650, the only option I found, would be to fit it in the bellow part of the hilt:

thanks for your feedback!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 05:45:03 AM »
I second moving to an 18650. When I built my first saber, I used a x4 AAA pack with a 5V regulator to drive a single green Cree and a Hasbro Econoboard. That barely had enough power to drive the saber for 45 minutes before new batteries were needed, and the LED dimmed visibly after the first 15 minutes. Running two blues off 3 AAAs? I hope you have shares in Duracell, because you'll go through a lot of batteries, fast.  :wink:

Your wiring diagram is solid, and upgrading to an 18650 shouldn't be that much of a hassle, especially if you're 3D printing your own chassis. Having it connected via a JST will work, but you'll have to wire in a kill switch to ensure that the battery doesn't drain while you're not using it.

If space really is at a premium, then there are some alternatives to 18650s: 14500s, 14650s, 16650s, etc. they're harder to find, and will have a lower capacity, and may not come with flying leads/JST connectors, but they're lithium-ion cells, so they all have the same voltage supply.
Better late than never.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 07:15:27 PM »
What is the ID on the section you want to put the 18650 in?  Haven’t seen a hilt produced recently that won’t accommodate one. Looks like the walls on your battery holder are pretty thick, I think you can make them thinner and fit one.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 04:43:17 AM »
What is the ID on the section you want to put the 18650 in?  Haven’t seen a hilt produced recently that won’t accommodate one. Looks like the walls on your battery holder are pretty thick, I think you can make them thinner and fit one.

A cursory search through shapeways/etsy suggests that the chassis for Oggdo Killers are somewhere around 30mm/1 3/16th" in diameter, so at a guess the hilt's ID is around 31.75mm/ 1 1/4"

All are capable of fitting 18650s without too much Kram-Fu as well. That said, they all seem advertised as designed for pixel blades rather than LEDs, so I'd imagine they're not accounting for space to hide LED resistors. but if you're printing your own, that's not too hard to get around.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:03:15 AM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline Mi3lpops

• No Force
  • Hello there
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 06:02:39 AM »
Hi all, thanks

Indeed I think you're right. I just saw some chassis where they managed to fit both the sound card and the batterie on the same part.

I do not have an electronic device to measure precisely the diameter of the interior but it is between 2.8 and 2.9 mm. I will receive a battery in a few days and redesign my chassis a bit to be a little thinner and reduce a maximum the extra space I left above and below the board.

I might be able to fit everything but I need to really optimise the space and I have a few question:

1/ do I need a wall on the eccentric part of the battery, or can it touch directly the hilt?

2/ I may have been too conservative on the space below the board, as I left 3.5mm (from the PCB). Do I need to leave space below the components? or can they be in contact with the chassis?

3/ I created a wall between the board and the battery, I realise now that it may be useless? I could gain 1mm here.

the LED resistors should not be a problem, I have plenty of space for them, including the channel created in the hilt. I just soldered them directly to the board because I thought it was easier.

retrousse