fiduciary

Author Topic: FX-SABERS Graflex 2011 DIY KIT (customer assistance and HELP topic)  (Read 33777 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: FX-SABERS Graflex 2011 DIY KIT (customer assistance and HELP topic)
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 04:29:33 AM »
Look for protected cells that don't have the nub on the top.  That should work.  It seems like you just got a really tight holder, but imo, the tighter the better when using a spring pack.

Offline vvenom

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 04:31:49 AM »

ill try find some got any links to some?

also tighter the better yes but this is way to tight whe its in the saber its going to be a nightmare

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 06:10:49 AM »
I don't have a kit.  Did It come with a battery holder or did you buy one from TCSS?  TCSS battery holders for AA will not fit all lithium ion batteries like the 14500.  Mouser has battery holders that are bigger than the TCSS variety.  I know you don't have 14500 but this might be a similar issue.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 07:47:26 AM by LUKE SKYWALKER »

Offline Mersenne

• Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 07:24:36 AM »
vvenom
I'm in Australia too mate and we can sort this out no problem, got plenty of spares - battery holders and batteries :)
actually the last kit I got for my sone from Yoda - the battery holder had 2 spring terminals  on the same side and 2 flats on the other :D
replacement it fine with a TCSS - not tight, BUT sometimes they are
PM me
it's all Elemental

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 09:12:13 PM »
Hey there All

I am having a Problem that im really hopping you can help with :)

I have my Yoda Diy kit that im building but i have now purchased 2 sets of 3.7v lithium batteries (aa Size)

As per what it says it takes now one battery will go in with some effort but to get a second one in is not easy i have to use way to much force to get it in it feels like the battery holder is about to snap and getting them out OMG thats bad.

So i decided it take one of the batteries apart the problem is the round PCB board that is on the negative end of the battery it makes it to big.

Now i have gone every place  locally and they all seem the same i have purchase 2 sets TCSS and Ebay both will not fit

What do you think i can do to solve this issue  (Batery,Charger what ever i need)

Thanks All im really stuck on this

Sorry to hear your batteries aren't fitting well, Unfortunately some of the Trustfire and Surefire batteries are not made with a great deal of quality control in mind :D
You can always add washers to the ends of the battery section to elongate it if necessary but check your length to keep from bottoming in the hilt.

The Batteries I always recommend are the AW type from Light hound http://www.lighthound.com//AW-14500-Protected-Rechargeable-Lithium-Battery_p_96.html
These should fit 99.9% of the time with no issues 8)

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »
hello there Master Yoda, I just saw your christmas ebay auctions and wonder if there will also be kits with aurora crystal chambers available on your next runs?

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »
hello there Master Yoda, I just saw your christmas ebay auctions and wonder if there will also be kits with aurora crystal chambers available on your next runs?

Making enough Quartz Crystals to fit properly for the DIY chassis is easier said than done  :D but I am working on something that may be offered
as an upgrade or alternative to the crystals I already Include. ;)

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »
I purchased a brushed copper kit from the latest batch (by way of another member). I separated out the complete kit into the various steps in the manual and have two small issues. The first is that one of the 1/2" aluminum posts is only 0.435". It is a slight difference but noticeable. The other is that I seem to have eight nylon 4-40 pieces (four more than I should) and four fewer socket sets (the black all thread pieces). I'm not sure if the process changed and the extra nylon pieces should be used instead in one of the steps or if it was just an oversight.

I also sent a PM on a related matter.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
~IA

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
per Yoda.
The nylon screws are being substituted for the aluminium, as it looks better in the gates than the black aluminium.
As to the "1/2" aluminum posts is only 0.435" send a PM to Yoda for a replacement or a 4-40 washer can be substituted  to take up the difference.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »
Same question from the other thread.  I got a kit and the manual was accidently left out (not direct from yoda).  Is it available digitally or do i have to wait to start my project for a week till the manual arrives? 

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 11:54:21 AM »
Same question from the other thread.  I got a kit and the manual was accidently left out (not direct from yoda).  Is it available digitally or do i have to wait to start my project for a week till the manual arrives? 

Alex I do have a spare manual left, just PM me your name address etc... and I'll get it out to you this week ;)

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »
thank you, but i have already received the manual from the seller.  The kit is actually complete too.   8) 

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 07:21:06 PM »
thank you, but i have already received the manual from the seller.  The kit is actually complete too.   8) 

Ahh Okay then the force presented the solution for us :D I hope you will enjoy it 8)

Offline megagreg

• No Force
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 04:51:39 PM »

Hi all,

So far so great with my Graflex DIY kit -- I'm really enjoying it -- fantastic work Master Yoda!

I've just gotten to the electronics section, and I have a few questions to be sure I'm wiring everything up correctly.

I have the following setup:
  • CF v5 board (rev 5.3)
  • Luxeon V LED
  • 2 TrustFire 14500 900mAh 3.7V batteries
  • 2W bass speaker (from TCSS)
  • Main activation switch (supplied with kit)
  • Aux side switch (supplied with kit)
  • Flat LED (supplied with kit - sits underneath the Roundel crystal and lights up the Crystal Chamber
  • 3mm LED (supplied with kit - illuminates the fiber optic tube)

Please see the attached wiring diagram, and let me know if anything looks wrong or is bad practice (appreciate the help)...

Specific Questions:
1. In the DIY manual I noticed the General power switch is connected to the negative lead, but in the CF manual it's connected to the positive. What is the best practice? Does it even matter?

2. When using a CF v5, are the DIY kit supplied 1/4 watt, 270 ohm resistors the correct resistors to use for the 3mm and flat LEDs (given where I'm soldering them into the board - see diagram)?

3. Is it common practice to wire the flat LED to the progressive power on port, and the 3mm LED to the general power on port (as seen in the attached diagram)? I know its up to me, but I'm wondering what most saber smiths do.

4. Any known issues with the 2W Bass Speaker. Seems like it will barley fit before bottoming out in the Graflex.

Thanks in advance for any help -- really appreciate it.

all the best
Megagreg

Offline LUKE SKYWALKER

• Formerly Egon Mcgregor
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Keeper of the Graflex
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 01:33:17 AM »
Hello megagreg!

Your wiring diagram looks good, but why not using 2 of the led pads from the CF for the crystal chamber leds?
This way you can use the led patterns that can be set in each sound bank!
And it doesn't matter if you solder the general power switch to either the pos. or neg. lead  ;)
Yes the resistors supplied by Master Yoda are the correct ones for the crystal chamber leds. If you wire them to the led pads of the crystal focus ( led pads 0-6 )
you could also solder them directly to the pads without using a resistor for a cleaner soldering. But with the words of Erv: "always use a resistor"  :D
I had no problem with the 2W Bass Speaker setup in my latest Graflex IV build. But if you are going ESB, make sure to shorten the screws that hold the grips!!!

retrousse