fiduciary

Author Topic: How would you rate AOTC?  (Read 42620 times)

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
Re: How would you rate AOTC?
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »
the relevant plot points seem washed over in all the PT films.  example,  one of the most relevant scenes in TPM was actuallly the one where anakin is on the naboo-ship and he says he's cold:  padme comes over to comfort him with a blanket and, effectively,  takes on the role of anakin's mother;  later, in the next movie, the mother dies a preventable death; and even later, in the movie after, anakin becomes obsessed with preventing padme's death. who knew, at the time, that THIS would turn out to be THE Major Story Arc which leads him to becoming vader(?) ...  in TPM when we FIRST see this relationship developing, we aren't even conscious of this BEING an important scene.  it just seems like yet another random scene, in a movie FULL of random scenes.  (which goes on and on, until most of the audience is convinced that TPM was functionally irrelevant to the overall story).   

-->  if we could take all the tiny bits of 'relevance' from all three PT films and string them together into a 90 minute montage.. then you'd have a single story-arc that makes sense.  instead, the little bits of relevant story are washed out in a 7-hours-epic that seems to go absolutely nowhere.  like trying to have a conversation with a rambling schizophrenic.  you both KNOW he has a point to make.  but he can only illustrate that point via hours and hours of rambling nonsense.  (and we can only 'decipher' his point, in retrospect).

::)

when it comes to the prequels,  I believe that george had planned enough of a "story" to fill a single movie (and make it interesting). unfortunately his self-declared mandate was for three movies, not one. and his point was mostly 'washed over' in 7 hours of rambling nonsense, representative of AOTC

::)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:20:34 AM by WEDGE ANTILLES »
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:41 AM »
I think what happened (and it's really obvious in AOTC), is that George got too caught up in how the movie looked as opposed to what it was saying. The opening scenes in Coruscant: beautiful to behold...but painful to listen to. And perhaps the most important dialog (between Obi-Wan and Anakin about Palpatine) disturbed by cut scenes to sleeping Padme. ???

The droid factory, the arena battle, the desert battle...all beautifully filmed. The romance scenes too: beautiful. But empty. Bad dialog left the story lacking and the viewers wincing. "Why did he say that?"

And the arena scene...a set up to rally in the Jedi and the clone army could have been executed in a better way...like the Jabba barge scene in the Tatooine desert. No need to kill off unnecessary alien creatures and waste the viewers' time. :P They should have kept the trial scene. That would have been better.

Offline Jagged Fel

• Experienced Force User
  • "I know lesson one.Don't grab the glowy end."
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2010, 03:40:27 AM »
I quite enjoyed this movie,much more than TPM and give it an 8,i have to agree with Jasher,beautiful but the dialog was not the best.
Sabers so far:

Luke V2,US 2.5 with crystal chamber(by ALuke123)
MR Vader ESB
MR Luke ESB
MR Luke ROTJ
MR Obi-Wan ROTS
Leia(work in progress)

Offline Madgirllolly

• No Force
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »
AOTC is my favorite star wars film so i gave it a 10 :P i love it, it was the first star wars film i ever saw and for me it has everything, action, romance, and a bit of comedy from obi-wan  :D I just think as a film its an all rounder :P the scenes were amazing and the special effects are just awesome :D

Offline Lord Bane

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • LB CUSTOM SABERS
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2010, 11:14:09 PM »
A very well done film with great action and a good love story. I still think Lucas should have made Anakin be played by the same character throughout all three films though cause the love story seemed a bit unrealistic and rushed in ATOC. There should have been a connection between Anakin and Padme starting in TPM. Also the character development of Anakin would have been more solid like Luke was in the later trilogy.

Offline ForceFXFreak

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2010, 06:37:05 AM »
This is my second favorite star wars movie my 1# favorite is ROTJ

--(UltraFX)

--(UltraFX)

Offline Jai-Kinn Jaden

• Experienced Force User
  • I warn you not to underestimate my powers...
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2010, 02:22:51 PM »
*gasp*...have you SEEN ESB? ;)

This one was hampered most by CGI in my book. Not enough sets and not enough shooting on various cool real life locations. The dialogue also needed help.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Be what you are.

Bad company corrupts good character.

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2010, 05:03:24 PM »
This one was hampered most by CGI in my book. Not enough sets and not enough shooting on various cool real life locations. The dialogue also needed help.

Actually, Hayden mentioned later that in ROTS, there was one set.  There was green-screen, and then the one set without green-screen.  Wanna guess what the one set was?  That little Mustafar room that the two heroes fight in for like eleven seconds - the one with the table.

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2010, 05:17:13 PM »

Actually, Hayden mentioned later that in ROTS, there was one set.  There was green-screen, and then the one set without green-screen.  Wanna guess what the one set was?  That little Mustafar room that the two heroes fight in for like eleven seconds - the one with the table.

Maybe that is why the acting seems so labored and forced (no pun intended) Its hard as an actor I'm sure to immerse yourself when you are staring at green walls with tape as your reference points, and dudees in green outfits, and some hairy old hasbeen is telling you, "ok, this is a Maganaguard" I'm sure they're in their head like, huh?

Where as the orginal trilogy, they are actually in a forest, desert, tundra etc etc. With actual actors in actual costume. Maybe that to me is why the original trilogy seems more genuine and authentic to me. More real and gritty.

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2010, 05:18:42 PM »
Personally, I think that this was the weakest of the three prequels (and of all six in general). Though it did advance the overall story, it just seemed to be missing something. If it wasn't for the Arena battle, it would have been really bland.  Even the lightsaber duels (other than Yoda's) were pretty weak.

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline Jai-Kinn Jaden

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2010, 06:59:11 PM »
Agreed, and ONE SET?! Geez, that is worse than I realized!

I don't blame the actors...I think they all could have turned in better performances if given real sets. Look at Mark Hamil's acting with Yoda in ESB, and ROTJ. It is really very good and convincing. But again, Yoda the puppet is really there, there is a real, live performance going on. Just because we have the tech doesn't mean we should (over) use it. Example- the sets. Another example- the clones! How lazy is that. You can easily put armor on some extras and have a much more convincing scene to film!

These movies would have been so much stronger had they found real, cool locals to film them in for alien worlds....no amount of CGI in the universe can overshadow the awesome, beautiful reality Earth. There are so many 'alien' landscapes, I just think its lazy. And for Coruscant? Film a bit in some real cities! Would have added SO much...gritty and lived in is GOOD for actors and story.

Be what you are.

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2010, 09:36:13 PM »
Agreed, and ONE SET?! Geez, that is worse than I realized!

Well, that was ROTS, not AOTC - AOTC actually had better sets.  And there were elements in the other sets in ROTS, but according to Hayden, that was the only green-screen free set he worked in during the whole production.

I'll agree about the more set comment; gritty and real can't be replicated; nothing replaces techies crawling all over a full sized X-Wing and half a Y-Wing.  ;)

Offline Jai-Kinn Jaden

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2010, 11:31:10 AM »
Ah, that's true. AOTC at least had some shots back on Naboo which must have necessitated a trip to the Lake country in Italy right? So many beautiful places to film that could be 'planets' themselves  ::)

Be what you are.

Offline Revan Reborn

• Formerly known as dj2rbo
  • Master Force User
  • SHABBA!!
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2010, 07:32:36 PM »
i love this movie

Watcha!! Darth Insidious gonna get cha!!!!!

Offline Saarai

• Master WordSmith
  • Force User
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »
I'd say about an 8. I almost zoned out when it looked like it was going to be like one of those old black and white detective movies. If I started hearing Obi saying, "And then she walked in the door" I was going to walk out. But, it picked up and I have to say was way better than TPM
BlackBerry Pin: 32A584D4

Character and integrity are what you do when no one is around or looking.
Bowties are cool.
From now on I'll be green, I'll be all the shades of green, they'll call me El Verde and tell my tale in Greenland.
Yoda: "To the hand you must talk." ROP5

retrousse