fiduciary

Author Topic: How would you rate AOTC?  (Read 42665 times)

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
Re: How would you rate AOTC?
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2009, 02:19:58 AM »
The only thing i loved about this movie was the end. Im sorry but Anakin was a SERIOUS WINY BRAT!!!! Hayden what happened...seriously  :o Oh well he sort of redeemed himself in the third one but overall it was ok  ;)

I think the movie had it's good elements, many more than just the ending, but the overall content of AOTC along with story & screenplay, lousy actor directing and attempt to bring the love affair by force hurt the movie. People often seek to accuse the actors, but I saw the troubles elsewhere than in Hayden. I remember in the Original Trilogy as George Lucas said to Harrison Ford "Just do it", "how hard can it be?". Revenge Of The Sith proves that Hayden can act IMO. I can imagine how hard it was for Hayden when the direct you'll get is like "be a loving teenager", "just do it", "how hard can it be". When I talked with Anthony Daniels, he said GL ain't much of a people person like some other directors. It's hard to create a master piece, when the foundation is bad  :-\

Offline lordantwarrior

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2009, 05:00:13 PM »
IMO, although I do enjoy AOTC, it is the weakest of the saga. Unfortunately, I just don't rate Hayden Christensen as an actor. What possessed Lucas to cast him in such an important role anyhow? Christensen is a lot better in ROTS but that isn't saying much and it may also be because ROTS is a stronger movie overall. AOTC really suffers from bad acting, such as the Padme/Anakin scenes. Although I enjoy Jango Fett, Christopher Lee is an awesome villain ONCE AGAIN and Sam Jackson's Windu comes alive. Other strong parts: Yoda's lightsaber, Dooku's awesome style (seriously, that high guard and his whole saber style are just awesome), Ewan Mcgregor (probarbly the best actor in the whole PT) and of course the arena battle.

Overall, I rate AOTC a 7. I still really enjoy watching it (as I do all Star Wars movies) but it is probarbly my least favourite of the saga.

Offline Darth Plaguis

• Padawan Learner
  • Know the Ways of the Dark Side
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2009, 03:01:25 AM »
The only thing i loved about this movie was the end. Im sorry but Anakin was a SERIOUS WINY BRAT!!!! Hayden what happened...seriously  :o Oh well he sort of redeemed himself in the third one but overall it was ok  ;)

I think the movie had it's good elements, many more than just the ending, but the overall content of AOTC along with story & screenplay, lousy actor directing and attempt to bring the love affair by force hurt the movie. People often seek to accuse the actors, but I saw the troubles elsewhere than in Hayden. I remember in the Original Trilogy as George Lucas said to Harrison Ford "Just do it", "how hard can it be?". Revenge Of The Sith proves that Hayden can act IMO. I can imagine how hard it was for Hayden when the direct you'll get is like "be a loving teenager", "just do it", "how hard can it be". When I talked with Anthony Daniels, he said GL ain't much of a people person like some other directors. It's hard to create a master piece, when the foundation is bad  :-\

Very good point, VERY good. To expand on what you said, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it Ewan Mcgregor that said that it was hard to act because there was no real scenery? Since most of the movie was CGI it was hard for the actors to get a feel of the environment hence the whole, horrible Anakin/Padme scenes. How can you be a loving teenager if the mood n scenery are not right?

I guess I should back off the poor guy huh lol  ;D He did good for the bare bones he was given. Also if you take a look at the behind the scenes of the movie, you will even see that there wasn't much scenery to work with, some scenes were just pure green rooms for CGI. Hard to get a feel for your part like that lol  ;)

Offline Master Durangus

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Graphics Designer
    • Durangus Designs on IRA
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »

Very good point, VERY good. To expand on what you said, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't it Ewan Mcgregor that said that it was hard to act because there was no real scenery? Since most of the movie was CGI it was hard for the actors to get a feel of the environment hence the whole, horrible Anakin/Padme scenes. How can you be a loving teenager if the mood n scenery are not right?

I guess I should back off the poor guy huh lol  ;D He did good for the bare bones he was given. Also if you take a look at the behind the scenes of the movie, you will even see that there wasn't much scenery to work with, some scenes were just pure green rooms for CGI. Hard to get a feel for your part like that lol  ;)

It was Ewan who said that :)! During AOTC, the Kaminoans were completely CG, so he was saying how in practice, they talked with a guy who had a hard-hat helmet on with a cardboard head taped on the top of the helmet and Ewan had to practice talking to the head. And yes, both in AOTC and TPM, almost ALL the scenery was CG, as well as a lot of the "bad guys." It is kind of hard fighting in Geonosis, when the scenery is a green screen and the enemies are blue screens!

And even in ROTS, in my opinion, the love scenes were slaughtered. I think a lot of it is Natalie Portman's fault, I didn't think she did very well with the acting, especially in the Mustafar scene of ROTS. Hayden Christensen I think did a good job, and for AOTC, it was primarily the lack of direction and Natalie's acting that affected that. Hayden also did excellent in ROTS, in my opinion. Natalie remained about the same.

Palpy, you talked with Anthony Daniels?

TPM I think had the worst acting in it as a whole. Liam Neeson was amazing. Ewan McGregor was amazing. Natalie Portman and Jake Llyod....disgusting. Jake was the worst in my opinion, I'm sorry but that acting was one of the worst pieces of acting I've seen yet. He acted like he was reading the script from a book, and didn't put very much personality behind the character. Natalie wasn't too bad but I still thought her acting failed. IMO Natalie was added to the cast for her stunning looks over her acting ability.

-Graphic Designer (See Bottom Link)-

The Forgotten Jedi....
-Alexander Durangus-

MD's Digital Porfolio

Offline wallcrawler

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2009, 09:16:42 AM »

It was Ewan who said that :)! During AOTC, the Kaminoans were completely CG, so he was saying how in practice, they talked with a guy who had a hard-hat helmet on with a cardboard head taped on the top of the helmet and Ewan had to practice talking to the head. And yes, both in AOTC and TPM, almost ALL the scenery was CG, as well as a lot of the "bad guys." It is kind of hard fighting in Geonosis, when the scenery is a green screen and the enemies are blue screens!

And even in ROTS, in my opinion, the love scenes were slaughtered. I think a lot of it is Natalie Portman's fault, I didn't think she did very well with the acting, especially in the Mustafar scene of ROTS. Hayden Christensen I think did a good job, and for AOTC, it was primarily the lack of direction and Natalie's acting that affected that. Hayden also did excellent in ROTS, in my opinion. Natalie remained about the same.

TPM I think had the worst acting in it as a whole. Liam Neeson was amazing. Ewan McGregor was amazing. Natalie Portman and Jake Llyod....disgusting. Jake was the worst in my opinion, I'm sorry but that acting was one of the worst pieces of acting I've seen yet. He acted like he was reading the script from a book, and didn't put very much personality behind the character. Natalie wasn't too bad but I still thought her acting failed. IMO Natalie was added to the cast for her stunning looks over her acting ability.

I'm not sure mate, if you see her in anything else she's very good, (amazing in Leon) I think it comes down to the fact that they had nothing to work with which was none of the actors' fault
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 09:19:45 AM by wallcrawler58 »

Trainers ARE cool

Offline Galen Marek

• Padawan Learner
  • There may be a rebellion yet.
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2009, 10:52:05 PM »
Yeah I don't think Natalie Portman's acting was that bad, and when it comes to Hayden Christensen's acting...have you seen some any of those "ROTS in 5 seconds" vids on youtube? Cause a lot of people Bashed his acting saying his character whined too much (which doesn't really relate to him as an actor + I can't be made if Darth Vader was a whiny teen at that age, wasn't everyone? lol) but after watching those videos I really was reminded at how much he did whine in those movies. 

Oh & PS: another one of those bootleg dubb movies that bashes Christensen's acting is "revenge of the crybaby" its not terrible for a home-made voice-overs it got a laugh outta me.

"You either die a hero....or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Offline Master Durangus

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Graphics Designer
    • Durangus Designs on IRA
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2009, 10:58:40 PM »
I still just think Natalie's acting is less than stellar, I saw her in another movie briefly, I didn't stay very long...and I don't remember the name, but it was also horrendous and my sister later came to me asking who the girl was from Star Wars and when I answered, she said she saw her in another movie and said Natalie's acting there was also not as good...just my opinion :).

-Graphic Designer (See Bottom Link)-

The Forgotten Jedi....
-Alexander Durangus-

MD's Digital Porfolio

Offline Galen Marek

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2009, 11:24:42 PM »
Yeah I respect that... ;) luckily no one has to put up with the prequels to know what ultimately happens to Padme (Her character wouldn't give us the chance to critique her work after ROTS & we all know why). Now the originals...those are the movies the movies that started it all, but its never bad to re minis.
"You either die a hero....or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2009, 11:27:56 PM »

Yeah on Scifi convention back in 2007 I talked with Anthony Daniels about George Lucas among other things, but it didn't become as a surprise that George ain't much of a people director. Like Harrison Ford said in some review George said to him "How hard can it be?, just do it". In George's visions there are all kinds of things  ;D, he's brilliant in many ways, but I would leave my actors guiding & directing to his friends Spielberg & Coppola's hands. I believe Spielberg was there to help in Revenge Of The Sith

Offline Galen Marek

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2009, 01:33:38 AM »
Really? Didn't know that...although, aside from the major differences in Graphics & special effects then the originals, Revenge of the Sith has always been my faverite of the prequals because there is deffinetly a difference in the way the movie flows from the originals and maybe thats one of the reasons, Speilburg is another great visionary (next to Lucas ofcourse  :D).

Offline torque6

• Force User
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2009, 06:53:45 AM »
have to agree with most of the ppl out there, probably a 6, since the plot is already predictable. The love and chemistry between padme and anakin just wasn't there.

Offline Darth Wraith

• Master Force User
  • Everything Burns
    • Darth Wraith at Star Wars Space.net
« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »
AOTC was a Great movie, probably one of my top 3 favorite of the Star Wars Trilogy.  I was very emotioanly connected to this movie.  I give it an 8

I Am the Lord of Shadow, Even as I am Enveloped by Darkness, So to Shall I be Embraced by the Light.

Offline Alexander00

• Force User
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2009, 09:34:19 PM »
I gave it a 10. The settings were awsome. I seem to be one of the few who really though Anakin was a great character as well.  I understand the whole " Terrible actor" argument but in my opinion Starwars was not ment to have "Great acting".  They're Sci-fi films. The Aura of the character is whats important.

Offline OakenMonk

• Force User
    • Blagit.org - All about me
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »
Attack of the clones. I gave it a 9.
I like it a lot, I think the special effects are very good and the battle of genosis is amazing, seeing all those Jedi in the arena! Fantastic!... even if most of them die.
The whole movie is great, the clones, Dooku, Jango Fett!
Anakin's evil side seems a bit too dark and too obvious. More subtlety couldn't go amiss in my opinion, especially as this depiction is meant to be close to the boy seen in Episode 1 than Darth Vader.
Hasbro 2008 Obi Wan TPM

Offline Jai-Kinn Jaden

• Experienced Force User
  • I warn you not to underestimate my powers...
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2010, 07:59:42 AM »
It is really weird, because I thought this was the worst of the PT.

Over time, I have to rate it more favorably then the other two.

It is holding up a little better for me.

TPM is the best in the sense that it uses the most sets, less terrible groan worthy CGI EVERYTHING, and amazing acting from Liam. The Maul duels are the obvious standout highlights.

AOTC is interesting because, obviously, its the worst and most awkwardly NAMED of the entire series...

HOWEVER, this film most closely matches what I EXPECTED from a PT film. It lets me down the least, which is the best compliment I can give, LOL!

TPM should have been different and a WAY better opener and stage setter and should have made us fall in love with the characters we'd be hanging out with for the next two films. (It didn't. It just made us hate Jar Jar and hate Gungans).

ROTS should have tied things up nicely to ANH, it didn't. MANY questions left unanswered.

AOTC....showed clones fighting, Jedi's leading, Anakin getting a little bit more evil. None of it as awesome as I imagined, but...eh. It lets ya down the least.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Be what you are.

Bad company corrupts good character.

retrousse