fiduciary

Author Topic: Graflex replicas - all the same?  (Read 9873 times)

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
Graflex replicas - all the same?
« on: November 17, 2008, 01:22:03 PM »
Does anyone know if all the Graflex replicas are from the same source? I know King of Parts on Ebay, Parks, and TCSS all sell a Graflex replica. I was just wondering if they were all the same version.

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
Re: Graflex replicas - all the same?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:47:43 PM »
I know that the TCSS graflexes are Parks gralfexes so they are the same...can someone else chime in for king of parts?

That said....if TCSS has them in stock you'll probably get them faster from them as opposed to a direct order through Parks.

EDIT....now that I think about it I think King of Parts is Jeff Parks' user name on Ebay isn't it?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 01:52:49 PM by BIGGS DARKLIGHTER »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 01:57:19 PM »
King of Parts, Sith Planet, TCSS, and Parks all are one in the same replica.

Offline Darth Kaos

• Sith Infiltrator
  • Master Force User
  • Ninjas?!?!...They all learned from ME!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 02:08:35 PM »
Forgive the ignorance, but what about the one's on www.graflexsabers.com?
I'm also confused on how some ANH or ESB graflexs', some of the bunny ears are on the opposite side. Which is the correct screen-accurate way? :-[

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:13:27 PM »
King of Parts is a guy named Bill up in Washington (state), so it's not Parks.

I know that the TCSS graflexes are Parks gralfexes so they are the same...can someone else chime in for king of parts?

That said....if TCSS has them in stock you'll probably get them faster from them as opposed to a direct order through Parks.

EDIT....now that I think about it I think King of Parts is Jeff Parks' user name on Ebay isn't it?

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 02:15:09 PM »
Forgive the ignorance, but what about the one's on www.graflexsabers.com?
I'm also confused on how some ANH or ESB graflexs', some of the bunny ears are on the opposite side. Which is the correct screen-accurate way? :-[

Could you define "opposite side"? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Opposite of what? Regardless, they should be the same.

MR Construction Kit, US Dominix, US Initiate, The Persuader by Do-Clo, Graflex

Offline Darth Kaos

• Sith Infiltrator
  • Master Force User
  • Ninjas?!?!...They all learned from ME!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »
Here's some pics:

all's I know is, my MR Luke ANH looked like this one, with the bunny ears on the same side...

Offline JudgeSabersmith

• Kind of on haitus
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:46:32 PM »
The Graflex replica from King Of Parts IS NOT the same as the one from parks or TCSS.  I have a King Of Parts replica and it is sized differently, made from thicker material, has a mis-shapen clamp, has a funny pin for the "ears".  It's usable as a display piece with no electronics, but it's a pain to work with.  I'll take the Parks replica any day.

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 02:50:20 PM »
The Luke ANH and Luke ESB (or those two ANH sabers pictured) are NOT different graflexes. They "look" different because the clamp is rotated 180 degrees to the other side of the graflex flash. Since the clamp is rotated 180 degrees and people usually like to display the saber with the bunny ears pointing up, by definition the saber will be facing in opposite directions so that you can see either the bubble strip or the circuit board on the clamp.

Depending on the "hero" prop shots you're talking about (which can be debated):

ANH - If you have the saber displayed with the bunny ears facing up, the end with the bunny ears should be on the left of the display (IE it will look the the MR ANH you had pictured)

The clamp was placed in a different position for publicity shots from the position it appeared for the final filming. For publicity shots the clamp was aligned at a 9 O’clock position when looking at the saber from the emitter end, whilst for filming it was placed at about 2:30.

ESB - The other way around (like the top picture)

Personally when I display mine I keep them all facing the same direction (to the right)  ;)

Rebelscum has a great comparison and info on them all at: Link
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:27:16 PM by BIGGS DARKLIGHTER »

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 03:17:04 PM »
Thanks. You answered my question.

So there's basically 2 different replicas on the market. Parks/TCSS and King of Parts.

The Graflex replica from King Of Parts IS NOT the same as the one from parks or TCSS.  I have a King Of Parts replica and it is sized differently, made from thicker material, has a mis-shapen clamp, has a funny pin for the "ears".  It's usable as a display piece with no electronics, but it's a pain to work with.  I'll take the Parks replica any day.

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
I just snagged one of these Graflex replicas from ebayer jimfred. Price was right (w/ the ebay coupon discount ;D), hope it's a decent piece for conversion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-LIGHT-SABER-GRAFLEX-3-CELL-FLASH-HANDLE_W0QQitemZ130269624177QQihZ003QQcategoryZ99971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 04:57:10 PM »
 ;D

I have a parks in a box lol :D :DLove it!! ;D

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 06:35:28 PM »

I stand corrected.  ;)

Offline Anceem Llevik

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 07:14:06 PM »
I just snagged one of these Graflex replicas from ebayer jimfred. Price was right (w/ the ebay coupon discount ;D), hope it's a decent piece for conversion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-LIGHT-SABER-GRAFLEX-3-CELL-FLASH-HANDLE_W0QQitemZ130269624177QQihZ003QQcategoryZ99971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hullbreach,
My Graflex is from jimfred, and it's beautiful! I love it. Here's my build thread:

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13738.0

Anceem

MR Construction Kit, US Dominix, US Initiate, The Persuader by Do-Clo, Graflex

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 07:23:19 PM »

retrousse