fiduciary

Author Topic: VV 'Ocassus' inspired MHS Saber Updated: 2013-04-27  (Read 19582 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: 10w RGBA LedEngin MHS Saber (WIP) Updated: 2010-12-29
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2010, 08:41:37 AM »
wow, great job on the saber so far.  I like your placement of the covertec knob.  most people don't realize how vital that is for the look of a saber.

Offline RedArc

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 09:39:13 AM »
great job you did on this hilt so far ! congrats  ;)

I know this design from anywhere ..... let me think  ::)

Offline shef

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 12:03:57 PM »

• MHS based hilt with a custom shroud.  I'm admitting up front... I'm TOTALLY macking on your (VV) Ocassus style Alan.

I started out sending PM's to Fenderbender, and he wrote back with invaluable advice on how to approach this project.  I still have a long way to go, and an even greater appreciation for what Alan, and all the other sabersmiths produce.  I can't put a price tag on the amount of planning and disciplined execution required to make one of these creations.. much less innovate it out of nothing.  :o

So... Shroud, take 2:

As mentioned in my previous post, this is the other half of the shroud material I had left, wrapped with a newly drawn template.  The second picture I took after wearing through my second reinforced cutting wheel, just before I went back to the hardware store, and bought the 'EZ-Lock' Metal Reinforced cutting wheel.  That move in itself made a huge difference.  The latest cutting wheel held up a LOT better, and I was able to work my way into the curves a lot closer, before cleaning it all up with the sanding flap wheel.

I am much MUCH happier with this new piece. 

I lined up the shroud with the Mara Jade grip bars, the covertec placement, and the blade retention screw (making sure to have the LED heatsink in for the measuring, but then removed to keep it safe), secured the shroud to the ribbed extension with a bit of tape, and went about drilling and tapping a retention screw hole for the shroud.  With this screw in place, I'll feel a lot safer later when I start drilling holes for the switches, recharge port & accent LED's.

But, I'll work on that some other day.  I have to get ready for the evening.  Happy New Year all! 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:22:41 PM by shef »
“The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.”
US Prophecy V2 w/ Petit Crouton 1.5
 VV 'Ocassus' inspired MHS w/ CF v6.1

Offline Sunrider

• Unlimited Brightness!!! RRROOAARRR!!!
  • Master Force User
Re: 10w RGBA LedEngin MHS Saber (WIP) Updated: 2010-12-31
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 12:10:08 PM »
   Nice post. I am liking the look of this saber. Keep it up.  ;)

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 12:16:06 PM »
no practical experience is wasted shef, you now know what NOT to do when you hold the all powerful dremel, LOL---- still watching and learning with great interest,

Offline Kalizon

• Force User
  • The sword and the mind are One
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 01:03:46 PM »
Very nice on the tutorials as well.   I am learning a great deal on this build.
A Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Offline RedArc

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 01:06:02 PM »

• MHS based hilt with a custom shroud.  I'm admitting up front... I'm TOTALLY macking on your (VV) Ocassus style Alan.
I started out sending PM's to Fenderbender, and he wrote back with invaluable advice on how to approach this project.  I still have a long way to go, and an even greater appreciation for what Alan, and all the other sabersmiths produce.  I can't put a price tag on the amount of planning and disciplined execution required to make one of these creations.. much less innovate it out of nothing.  :o

Ok ^^ My post was meant as a joke  :D 

I´m the owner of Ocassus and i also love this awesome design from Alan from the first time i seen it as a FX saber newbie one year ago !

I´m glad that the first owner sold it to me and i would never sell it to anyone ... my unicorn  ::)

It´s awesome to see that you rebuild it and i like your thread and work very much !

Keep on rockin  ;)

Offline shef

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 10:49:43 AM »
Post consolidated.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:58:37 PM by shef »
“The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.”

Offline Tho-Mun Cor

• Force User
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »
Yes, the new economy boards are getting very good reviews, and they would fill a need in a pinch.  But doing that would be like...

(WARNING: Long, drawn-out analogy/rationalization of holding out for a CFV)

...making a reservation at a fine restaurant, months in advance, with the intention of indulging on their unique specialty entree, that requires special notice to prepare.  When the day arrives, instead of waiting for the original entree, you hear about a new special for the evening that sounds delicious.  Being excited and hungry, you opt for the quick delicious special, instead of the time consuming entree you originally intended.  At the end of the night, you leave satisfied and happy, but in the back of your mind, don't you still have that original plan lurking?  Do you have the time, patience and resources to do this twice?  Do you use restraint, and stick to the original plan?  Or do you settle for the quick, delicious entree you opted for? 

Sometimes we all need a cheap thrill...just sayin'... ;)

Thanks for this thread BTW, I love following along-so helpful for beginners like me.
- TMC

Offline shef

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »
Sometimes we all need a cheap thrill...just sayin'... ;)

Thanks for this thread BTW, I love following along-so helpful for beginners like me.

Not for the sake of a cheap thrill, but because Mr. Plecter has diverted more of his time to creating and developing another human being rather than assembling sound boards  ;D  I opted to order a PC-L from TCSS this evening.  This, plus Ki Adi Mundi's forthcoming Ribbed Chassis will most definitely get this project moving forward once again.

Plan B:  instead of Flash on Clash, I plan on having the 2 selectable blade colors, controlled by a 2 position switch, hidden inside the hilt, so not to make the mistake of changing colors while the PC-L is powered up.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:39:36 AM by shef »

Offline Lord Nemesis

• No Force
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2011, 07:28:18 AM »
Love this thread so far, very good info! Thanx for posting, I'll be following with great interest.

Offline shef

• Experienced Force User
Re: 10w RGBA LedEngin MHS Saber (WIP) Updated: 2011-03-25
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 08:54:55 PM »
I took more pictures, but the rest turned out quite blurry.  I'll have to work on that.

I got home from a pretty rough day at work today, facing a week of even more... challenges, and I was elated to find my PC-L waiting for me.  Seeing as this board is limited to 2 sound fonts, I thought it was silly not to go ahead and get both, especially since my project plan is to have 2 different selectable blade colors.

Before I even heated up the soldering iron, I figured I should test the board's basic  functionality.  So, I broke out the temporary (test) speaker, switch(es), and my LED & battery pack.  After setting up a couple alligator clips, I plugged in the battery, and heard the satisfying startup sound, and was pleased to see the nice cyannish and blood orange LED colors, and hear the all too familiar sound fonts.  This speaker leaves a lot to be desired, but it is just a test speaker.  I have a TCSS speaker set aside for later.

Finally, I went ahead and wired all my quick connects for the LED, speaker, switches, and the accent LED's.  Then I made all the appropriate connectors, did another function test.  Satisfied that all my plugs and wiring are sound, I put the board away for the night.  It will certainly be another week before I make any more forward progress, but I wanted to share my joy.

2011-03-24:  After being educated a bit more by those more experience than me about proper wiring of a PL products, and the evils of 'through hole' wiring, I took the board back out this evening and re-soldered all my connections.  While I was at it, I went ahead and shortened up all the connection wires a bit, to make the whole module more compact.  Here are the over/under shots and new wiring plan.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:23:23 PM by shef »

Offline Tho-Mun Cor

• Force User
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2011, 09:56:38 PM »
I'm so excited for you (can't wait 'til I can afford a quality sound board of my very own)! that LED is so bright, it's almost even too much for a pic! Nice job making the wiring so compact-lookin' good kiddo!
- TMC

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »
just a suggestion  but i always use good old metal files and ultra fine emery cloth when finishing metal shapes .... ive got ask, what are the EVILS of through hole wiring?

Offline shef

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »
just a suggestion  but i always use good old metal files and ultra fine emery cloth when finishing metal shapes .... ive got ask, what are the EVILS of through hole wiring?

Wires that are soldered through the hole in the board are much more difficult to remove/replace.  More solder is used in the connection than is really needed.  You have to apply more heat directly to the board (both sides) for the wire to come loose again, making repairs or modifications more difficult.

retrousse