fiduciary

Author Topic: Aayla's Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS FFX Review & Pics  (Read 31756 times)

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
Aayla's Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS FFX Review & Pics
« on: September 01, 2006, 02:07:40 PM »
"Before the dark times... before the Empire."

And so the words of Obi-Wan Kenobi would greatly influence the young Tattoine farmboy... to an extent he never imagined.

At first glance, the 2006 Master Replicas Obi-Wan Kenobi Force FX Lightsaber Collectible portrays something of a regal and classical era... a time when good rose above evil and the power of the light kept the dark at bay. Obi-Wan Kenobi may be the best example of a Jedi Knight of the Old Republic; and fittingly so, his Revenge of the Sith lightsaber may very well be the best representation of a Jedi's weapon.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi lightsaber comes at a time when Master Replicas has continually strived to put out a better product. Each Force FX lightsaber collectible tends to be a step above the previous. Perhaps the Obi-Wan release is a step below, taking into consideration the fact that it utilizes the technology of Generation 3 lightsabers from 2005. But is really a step down from the Generation 4 Darth Maul from The Phantom Menace; or on the contrary, is it a step beyond what Master Replicas has offered it's collectors in the past?

The Hilt

To say that your product is the "offical" reproduction of a character's weapon from the most sucessful film franchise in history, you'd better have something to substantiate your claim. The hilt on the Obi-Wan Kenobi Force FX clearly resembles what was shown on-screen in the third chapter of the Star Wars saga. But is it identical? No. And understandably so, of course. The Luke Skywalker Return of the Jedi Force FX lightsaber from 2003 (later re-issued with Generation 3 technology in 2005) went through the same fate as the current lightsaber when it's neck was widened to accomodate the necessary components that enable a Force FX to function. This widened feature doesn't really retract from the overall look of the replicated lightsaber. (At least not in my opinion.) The filming prop of Obi-Wan's lightsaber from Revenge of the Sith was crafted to replicate the original prop from A New Hope. As such, the prop department did a splendid job of re-creating the iconic weapon wielded by Sir Alec Guinness in the original film. The Obi-Wan ROTS Force FX follows the material pattern that both props utilized. The base and center band of the weapon feature an elegant chrome finish. The "grenade" portions of the lightsaber are metal. And finally, the emitter is aluminum. Just as the prop masters at Lucasfilm stayed true to the A New Hope prop, the wizards at Master Replicas remained true to the Revenge of the Sith prop. These combinations make for a very shiny lightsaber that is very pleasing to the eye. Unfortunately, my own lightsaber has a few scrapes in the centerband near the ignition switch bridge. They're not too noticeable, but to a perfectionist such as myself, they're a bit of a bummer. I do know that there's probably not a perfect Force FX out there, so it isn't a big deal.

In hand, the Obi-Wan Force FX lightsaber feels very well balanced. The metal hilt provides an excellent grip that is most comfortable to the hands. It is probably the easiest Force FX to swing around, due to the unique design. I'd have to say that this lightsaber could very well be easier to handle than the actual prop was, being that the widened neck provides additional grip space. The weight of this iconic replica is about perfect, as far as I'm concerned. It's not too lightweight and not too heavy. I'd say its weight is about on par to the Darth Vader The Empire Strieks Back lightsaber. It certainly isn't as heavy as the Mace Windu Revenge of the Sith release, and it shouldn't be. With only three AA batteries supplying power to the 64 LEDs and sound module, this lightsaber shouldn't weigh any more than the Anakin ROTS... or especially the Mace Windu ROTS, for that matter. Or should it? Where the Luke ROTJ was made of both aluminum and plastic, the Obi-Wan ROTS is nearly entirely metal. As with the second release of the Anakin ROTS, we know that extra metal certainly equates to extra weight. Unlike the Anakin ROTS, I have noticed that the Obi-Wan lightsaber does not capture fingerprints as easily. As I'm pretty sure the chrome used in both lightsabers is pretty much the same, it's hard to say what might account for this. Similarly to the Darth Vader ESB, the Obi-Wan Kenobi lightsaber is ignited when the switch on the control box is pressed forward. As the Vader ESB featured my favorite lightsaber ignition switch, I'm most pleased at where MR placed the same button on this lightsaber. All in all, the Obi-Wan ROTS Force FX hilt is very well-designed and most attractive to the eye.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Obihilt.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Obihilt2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Obihilt3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Obihilt4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Obihiltmini.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Obisaber.jpg

The Ignited Blade

"I will do what I must."

Looking ahead into the dark, unaware of what lies ahead, a sense of courage falls upon you as you're thumb moves to ignite the blade of the Jedi's weapon. Obi-Wan Kenobi's weapon. That is the feeling you get when you switch on the Obi-Wan Kenobi Force FX for the very first time. You know to expect something great... something magical. And as that arc of blue light shines before your eyes, you are swept into that galaxy far, far away.

Without a doubt, the Obi-Wan lightsaber contains the brightest of all blue FX saber blades. It's brighter than the Anakin ROTS. The blue color itself is lighter than it is in the Anakin lightsaber, but darker than the Luke Skywalker The Empire Strikes Back release. Below is a picture with the Anakin ROTS on the left. At the time the picture was taken, the Anakin lightsaber had brand new batteries, whereas I'd already had the Obi-Wan on for my testing purposes and for the pictures I took. The Obi-Wan lightsaber was still brighter than the Anakin.

As far as consistency goes, I've read several reviews indicating that the Obi-Wan lightsaber has a smoother, more consistent look to the ignited blade. After testing and comparing my lightsaber to older Force FXs, I'd have to say that it is smoother. But more consistent? Not really. My old version one Anakin from early 2005 is about the same in consistency; perhaps just a bit less consistent. The Obi-Wan still has a few LEDs that are brighter than the majority of them, as do all Force FXs, so to me it isn't much different in that regard. The smoothness alone, however, does account for a brighter and crisper looking blade. And that's very important with each new Force FX release. Unfortunately, this saber also has the infamous dark spot at the center of the blade. It is a bit harder to see than it is on the version one Anakin ROTS, but it is still there. Another point of interest is that the Obi-Wan lightsaber seems to have a more distinct arc wave than the other blue Force FXs. That's another step up. And of course, a neat thing about the Obi-Wan ROTS is the way that the light from the blade reflects at the top of the emitter. As others have stated, it makes the smal grooves in the emitter appear as if the emitter is surrounded with tiny LEDs. It's one of those cool little things like the light shining from the openings of the Luke ESB emitter that make you appreciate your Force FXs even more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Obisaberlit.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Obisaberlit3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Obisaberlit2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Obisaberlit5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/Obisaberlit4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/ObivAni.jpg

(As a sidenote, the reflection of the ignited blade on the red oak table reveals the differently lit LEDs. The reflection also looks like the lightsabers on old artwork from The Empire Strikes Back.)

Sound

Always of importance to Force FX collectors are the sound effects of each Force FX collectible. With the Obi-Wan ROTS lightsaber, Master Replicas re-used the sound module from both the Anakin ROTS and the Luke Skywalker ROTJ. It sounds more crisp this time around. These particular sound effects have never sounded better, but as they are rehashed sounds, they're nothing special. They serve their purpose, and that's important. Apart from the idle hum, the ignition, swing, clash, and power-down sounds are all the same. I must point out that the clash sounds are a bit hard to activate... the blade has to be hit pretty hard. The swing sounds don't sound as easily as in other lightsabers, but that may be due in part to the fact that my lightsaber is new.

Fin

As a new lightsaber from an iconic character who's weapon has never before been offered, the Obi-Wan Kenobi Force FX Lightsaber Collectible from Master Replicas is a wonderful addition to any collection. While the technology utilized in its creation is nothing that has not been accomplished before, the Obi-Wan Force FX is a step beyond what Master Replicas has come out with in the past. The blade is brighter than that of any previous blue-bladed offering, and the sound is clearer. The hilt is also about as accurate as you can get with the current technology, and it's a marvel to look at. Those qualities make for a better product, and that's what Master Replicas should strive to offer with each new release. Unlike the Darth Maul TPM release, which in my opinion, as a single-bladed lightsaber was inferior to the Darth Vader ESB, the Obi-Wan Kenobi outshines it's predecessors. I have to say that I am extremely pleased with the Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS lightsaber and that I am very happy to own it. I know that if I were to go to battle against the Sith, this is the lightsaber I would carry with me. I now prefer it over my other Force FXs... save for the Luke ESB.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/Vickyrose85/ToriJedi.jpg

Me and my cherished Obi-Wan Kenobi Force FX Lightsaber, by Master Replicas.
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline BIGGS DARKLIGHTER

• Formerly known as Heimidal
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Red 3 Standing By
Re: Aayla's Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS FFX Review & Pics
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 02:22:31 PM »
Nice review Aayla! Now I really want my Obi-Wan (which should hopefully be here soon!) I'm glad you won one in the trivia =)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 02:36:01 PM »
Awesome Review Aayla, as always.

You definitely let your writing talents shine as bright at the Obi-Wan FX!

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Jaden Korr

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 02:41:38 PM »
Great Review Aayla. You are a very talented writer. Good pics to i have been waiting to see the Obi next to the Ani for reference.

Offline Jedi Ollie

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »
Simply astonishing.

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 03:03:19 PM »
Great review Aayla , Very detailed
I like the photos , Good job

Offline Irkis Clag

• Force User
  • You were to destroy the sith not join them!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 03:23:45 PM »
nice review and nice pics

Offline destrius

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 03:42:00 PM »
Awsome review as always Aayla! I agree that you are very talented. :)
EEEE[]#>//==================
       ''''''

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 04:39:07 PM »
Heh, I told you it was the brightest blue blade yet and the most evenly lit.  ;D

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 05:23:24 PM »
outstanding!!!!
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline Shadowlynx

• Master Force User
  • Darkness has Fallen
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 07:34:00 PM »
Very Beautifully done, The review makes the Obi wan come alive as if I was holding one right now. Now I'm strifing to get one very soon in the future.

Offline Kyle Katarnn

• Formerly know as Kyle Katarn
  • Master Force User
  • The Sarlacc found me somewhat indigestable, Solo.
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 08:29:12 PM »
Not just talented but also very intelligent. Very well written review that makes it interesting for readers, not to mention it would be nice to have a prop collection magazine with people's reviews and I would make my vote count for this excellent review. Well done,  now you can train young Luke Skywalker.

I'm looking forward one of these days and pick one up ;)

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 10:33:18 PM »
Without a doubt, the Obi-Wan lightsaber contains the brightest of all blue FX saber blades. It's brighter than the Anakin ROTS.

This means I will have to add one to my collection.  Great writeup!
My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Anakin ROTS **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
Custom 5w Luxeon (Green/Royal Blue)
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS  **Sold**
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM
2010 Anakin ROTS (Removeable Blade)

Offline levelnext

• formerly known as levelnext
  • Master Force User
  • you are what you is
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 12:22:53 AM »
great review, and you are so cute  ;D
On a mission to constantly annoy C3PO!

--:CLICK HERE TO SEE MY COLLECTION:--

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 03:50:56 AM »
great review, and you are so cuteĀ  ;D

remember your training levelnext.......lust leads to the darkside  ;)
The Force will be with you....always.

retrousse