fiduciary

Author Topic: Star Wars: The History Channel Special  (Read 5352 times)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
Star Wars: The History Channel Special
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:15:35 PM »
This Airs' on the Last day of C4 and I thought it would be great education for all Star Wars Fans 8)

Star Wars: The History Channel Special
"30 years later ...
STAR WARS: WHY IT ENDURES, WHY WE NEED IT ... AND WHY IT'S STILL SUCH FUN

Newt Gingrich, Nancy Pelosi, Dan Rather, Peter Jackson, Camille Paglia and Other Thought Leaders
Discuss the Charm, Enduring Impact and Mythic Underpinnings in Two-Hour Special

STAR WARS:
THE LEGACY REVEALED
On The History Channel�

World Premiere Monday, May 28, at 9pm ET/PT

Thirty years ago, an unheralded film known as Star Wars opened in theaters and took audiences
on a groundbreaking journey to a galaxy far, far away. It instantly seized the public's imagination, and
three decades later still claims that grasp.
Now, a new special from The History Channel seeks to understand why the emotional impact of the
Star Wars Saga remains as relevant as ever. The two-hour special, STAR WARS: THE LEGACY REVEALED,
is a World Premiere on The History Channel on Monday, May 28 at 9pm ET/PT.

Through interviews with politicians, academics, journalists and critics - all of whom weigh in on the
enduring appeal of George Lucas creations - the special demonstrates that Star Wars isn't just a
high-action adventure in space. It's a remarkably complex and sophisticated story about power, politics,
sin, spirituality and redemption - almost Shakespearean in its power, humor, presentation and influence.

The special makes the argument that Star Wars' intensely compelling stories - borrowed from diverse
traditions, from Greek mythology and American westerns to the Bible and even Vaudeville - compel
us to explore some of the biggest questions of our time. STAR WARS: THE LEGACY REVEALED explores
that view through interviews with politicians, academics, journalists and critics, who all weigh in on the
creations of George Lucas. The special shows how seldom a movie can make us laugh and think about
our role in the universe - which may be why it has stood the test of time.

“The enduring appeal of Star Wars," says Tom Brokaw, “is that it's this vastly entertaining piece of
cinema that also leaves you ... with the idea that there are some real issues out there that we ought
to be thinking about - good and evil, and right and wrong, and heroism. Generations of people a long
time from now will be enthralled by it, just as we are enthralled by the story of Robin Hood or King Arthur's
Court or any of the Shakespearean tales."

The special unites a diverse group of high-profile Star Wars fans, from filmmakers to politicians to journalists.
Their comments punctuate the still jaw-dropping footage from all six episodes of the Star Wars Saga.

“The idea of the underdog who's on the right side defeating the overdog who's on the wrong side is a
deeply American mythology," says former Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who climbed a high
political fence to agree with current Democrat House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on the movies' impact.
 Says Pelosi: “The legacy of George Lucas fits very comfortably among the classics of all time, whether ancient or modern. “
Adds Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson: “You don't even have to ask, `Will it stand the test of time?' It has and it will."

This action-adventure film with lighthearted moments and touching purity, demands that we focus
on current fundamental themes, including environmentalism, racism and the temptations of power
and greed. As author Carl Silvio notes, at times the movies seem prophetic: “In Revenge of the Sith, when
we hear Anakin say, `You're either with me or against me,' it's almost impossible not to hear that quote
and think of another very famous quote, "a point the special underscores with a clip of
President George W. Bush's November 2001 news-conference quote: “You are either with us or you are
against us in the fight against terror."

The dichotomies of good vs. evil and mechanism vs. humanity is apparent throughout the movies, which
carry themes of politics and power. In the Star Wars universe, dictators are ruthless yet charismatic, and
while some politicians are well-meaning, as Princess Leia Organa demonstrates, leaders are born from courage
and conviction, not from gender.

With regard to other kinds of power, C-3PO and R2-D2 demonstrate that machines can be beneficial, while
the feared Death Star shows us their danger. The Ewoks, instrumental in the eventual defeat of the Empire, remind
us that natural, environmental solutions have as much as (or more) power than man-made ones. That the movies
are fun only gives their central questions and observations more credence
How long will that endure? “A hundred years from now," says Joan Breton Connelly, an associate professor of fine arts
at New York University, “someone will be sitting here discussing the impact of Star Wars and they will be seeing
different things in it than we are seeing today, just as today we have classes in the university on Homer."

Filmmaker Kevin Smith: “It is bad guys versus good guys and everyone wants to see that story.
That story will never grow tired, never grow old."

STAR WARS: THE LEGACY REVEALED is produced by Prometheus Entertainment in association with
Lucasfilm Ltd. Executive Producer is Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Kevin Burns
(Empire of Dreams, Look, Up in the Sky!). Executive Producer for The History Channel is Beth Dietrich Segarra.

A Video Link to the Upcoming presentation:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bc1_1179241764

in essence:
The Light of our Lightsabers will be seen for many years to come

MTFBWY
always
YODA

Offline GRAND MOFF TARKIN

• formerly pianoman/Admiral Piett
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Fear will keep them in line...
Re: Star Wars: The History Channel Special
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:50:08 PM »
Very cool! I love the History channel, they have great t.v. shows. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 11:05:17 PM »
Did you watch the Video?

This looks like it will be a good one to watch 8)

I know Anakin and I will be driving back from C4 that Day so we plan to get back in time to watch it...
I'll have to use Ludicrous speed ;)

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
someone please upload this to youtube or google when it comes out ( I have no cable >:()
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:58:32 PM »
If I can get home in time Kit I'll record it to a DVD for you.

I do have to re-arrange some things to plug in the DVD recorder but I'll see what I can do.

If I don't get to record it I'm sure someone else will ;)

Other wise it's the History Channel so I bet they will be selling it soon after it's broadcast anyway...
All History channel shows are able to be purchased.  8)

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 12:00:54 AM »
If I can get home in time Kit I'll record it to a DVD for you.

I do have to re-arrange some things to plug in the DVD recorder but I'll see what I can do.

If I don't get to record it I'm sure someone else will ;)

Other wise it's the History Channel so I bet they will be selling it soon after it's broadcast anyway...
All History channel shows are able to be purchased.  8)

Oh man that would rock,I would be happy to shoot you a payapl for your troubles master Yoda :)
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline GRAND MOFF TARKIN

• formerly pianoman/Admiral Piett
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Fear will keep them in line...
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 11:31:33 AM »
Yeah I watched it. It will be awesome! I wonder who came up with this idea. Although Im sure with the 30th anniversary coming up we will see alot of SW stuff on the boobtube.

Good find master Yogurt! ;)

Offline PRINCESS LEIA

• Her Worshipfulness
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Well,Somebody has to save our skins!!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 12:39:07 PM »
Time to set up the DVR! Master Kit you want me to make a Dvd of this for you?

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent-now get outta here
I'm out of it a little while and everyone has delusions of granduer

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 01:38:53 PM »
Did you watch the Video?

This looks like it will be a good one to watch 8)

I know Anakin and I will be driving back from C4 that Day so we plan to get back in time to watch it...
I'll have to use Ludicrous speed ;)

Just mae sure Ponch and on don't catch up by following your plaid trail! ;D

DVR set! OH YEAH!

retrousse