fiduciary

Author Topic: Slothfurnace's ANH Obi Wan Kenobi 'Epic Reveal' saber - COMPLETED  (Read 41138 times)

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
Re: Slothfurnace's ANH Obi Wan Kenobi 'Epic Reveal' saber
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 08:26:58 PM »
To look at these pictures physically hurts me.

Hurts me because I know I can't have it!  :D

Amazing work, Sloth. I know I have told you that a dozen times, so here is a dozen and one.  ;D

Wow, thanks, Caine, I appreciate that...

One of the things that bugged me was the state of my main canister, the part that sits under the clamp. I had cobbled it together while figuring out how I wanted things to go. I was hesitant at first, but knew I needed to remake this piece. Mainly to allow for the activation/aux switch setup and a little more support for the crystal chamber mount. The extra lip around the brass chamber mount also mates to the step I machined in the grenade section, for a bit more stability when it's closed. I just lathed the threads out of that spot to make a smooth shoulder.

You can see the clamp in the top part of the picture. It is cut out for the recharge port that you can see floating in the rear of the canister. In front of that, is a pivot that is hinged in a milled out spot.

The arm that is attached swings between the two 90degree tactile switches. One will be for activation of the CFLS, one will be for the aux button. I had to machine a 'transistor' button that is threaded into the other end of the swing arm. This will go through the square tab in the graflex clamp from the outside, and tie into the arm, letting me push the transistor down for activation, and up for aux.

This whole setup fits within the inside diameter of the clamp, and the inside diameter of the battery compartment.

To mount the switches, I have a set of 1/16 holes drilled in the flat spot, where I will crimp the switch mounting tabs to. I also have a spot milled out under the switches for the wires to clear.

Here you can see the inside wall of the battery can, and the bottom of the switch area. Sort of.  Sorry for the crumby cellphone pics.

Here's the inside of the battery can.  I had to machine it quite a bit more than my previous model, to account for battery placement, but still leaving enough material for mounting screws for the crystal chamber mount and the graflex clamp (more on that later)

Not sure if it's too visible in this shot, but I am beginning to mark with a sharpie all the spots I need to cut. I need to drill and tap for set screws, holes for the springs to sit, and shave off a few bits around the plug connector.  I'll need to shorten the back end of the crystal chamber mount, and massage a few things into place. 

Not shown is work I have done on the LED string.  I started that, and will have something new and neat to show.  New for me, not new to the planet, but it should improve my LED strings.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:31:49 PM by slothfurnace »

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 06:40:24 AM »

This will be sort of like the novastar string, except I am not making it as dense and therefore power hungry.

What I am doing, though, is drilling into the dome of these LEDs to widen the spread of light.  I couldn't figure out how I wanted to get these centered and clamped in the drill press, so I decided to try it in the lathe.

LEDs all drilled, leads bent, folded, assembled and soldered. All 84 of em not shown.
When I finish wiring the segments together, I'll be just about done with the string blade.

The DIN Interconnect plugs arrived yesterday as well, so I will be able to get that much further on this.

Blade test!

This is at less than half brightness... don't want to crank up the juice just yet.

This is about an 1/8 second exposure of a stock Hasbro/MR Obi AOTC Force FX saber with fresh Energizer batteries.

This is the same exposure, with the CF-LS on setting 400 out of 511. The camera doesn't quite do it justice, it's slightly painful to look at the CFLS blade in my office at night. In real life, you almost can't tell the Hasbro/MR Obi is even on.

This pic is closer to what my eye actually sees when I look at the CFLS. The Hasbro is not as bright to my eye in this pic, but you can really tell the difference in the two blades by looking at the reflection underneath them. The REFLECTION of the CFLS blade on the leather couch is as almost as bright as the BLADE of the hasbro.

I was able to shorten the scroll by setting it to 200.  I assume that's 200 milliseconds per segment.

d=1

This is at 80% of full power, volume of 2 out of 4.

I really don't think I need to make it any brighter. My camera SERIOUSLY hates it, it auto dims to black almost. I have no idea if I can lock the exposure for a truly good recording, but you can see how bright it is on ignition.

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 10:39:14 AM »

Beginning the final fit of the hardware, I still need to shave off about 3/16 from the crystal chamber DIN plug housing so the grenade shell will fit flush against the battery can when it's all closed down. Wires are long enough from Erv' to fit all the way from the soundboard around the battery pack, through the chamber mount, across the chamber, and into the top of the chamber plug housing. I'll wrap the exposed wires in some fine scale braided steel hose.

Once my hardware is done and working, I'll weather it and install the electronics.

Major breakthrough last night on one of the last mechanical hurdles...  I was wrestling with this problem:  How to mount my top DIN plug to the brass windvane, how to strengthen the neck for dueling, and how to mount the blade securely.

I toyed around with a lot of designs, but finally settled on this for ease of production (I have to make two sets) and strength.  I have a DIN plug mount with a setscrew that faces into the chamber, towards the other mating DIN plug.

That DIN plug mount braces against the wall of the grenade, and the lower face of the windvane, and travels about halfway up the inside of the windvane.  The top end is threaded 3/8x16, to mate with the hollowed steel threaded rod that travels the rest of the way up the windvane neck into the blade anchor.  The wires will travel through this steel threaded rod.

I chose steel for strength, since I did thin the wall of the windvane a bit because I had to widen it to accept the DIN plug.     The DIN plug WOULD have fit up inside the 3/8 hole already in the windvane, but I had to account for some way to brace the blade anchor.  The little round depression is for the spring to seat into.  I will probably mount the spring here on each grenade section for cleanliness.  I don't want some goofy spring attached to the crystal chamber when you swap the grenade sections out.  If the springs are mounted in the grenade sections, it will take two springs, but it will look cleaner.

I think this is a good solution, it will be strong like my original OBI thin neck, but now it will have the ability to detatch.

I finally got the thing all tied down, it works, it's straight, it's rock solid and balanced.  The blade is cut and fit, the chamber is secure, the latch works, the DIN plugs mate and clock correctly, the quick detach works, etc.
Next up, weathering/oxidizing the grenade and windvane and emitter.

Offline djkibaman

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 11:32:26 AM »
Ooh the things i would do to this galaxy with ur skill and craftmanship.   :o

hunting Unicorns one day at time...

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »
Hey Sloth, something I've been wondering. Is the lower grenade, the darkened/blued one in this picture, a Parks? I noticed the pineapple segments are larger and the emitter end has as less of a beveled angle then the Russ Reps.

Shane

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 12:17:33 PM »
Ooh the things i would do to this galaxy with ur skill and craftmanship.   :o

Heh, if I only had more time...

This is the fine scale mesh wrap I am using to cover and protect the 7 blade wires that run through the chamber into the top of the saber.

A test lighting to see how the light spills around inside the chamber...

Here's a glimpse at one of my portable workstations, it's a big steel plank with a panavise and a frankenthirdhand attached to it. I use this for all sorts of projects.

Been working on finishing up the crystal chamber, replaced the mesh on the right side, since it snagged and bent, and got the LEDs installed.

I decided not to go with a cable rack across the top as you may have seen in one of the other pics. Just didn't turn out the way I liked. I think this is better.

You can sort of see the wiring under the crystal chamber mount here, it's a triangular array going from LED channel to LED channel, and terminating across the backbone of the battery can. After some test fits, I am happy to say it all fits in there.

And now you are all up to date.  Once I make more progress, I will post it here.  Thanks for looking!

Hey Sloth, something I've been wondering. Is the lower grenade, the darkened/blued one in this picture, a Parks? I noticed the pineapple segments are larger and the emitter end has as less of a beveled angle then the Russ Reps.

Shane

I am not really sure, it could be.... I have had that one a LONG time, and forget who or where I got it from. It's definitely not a Russrep.

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »
this is a fairly reasonable effort at making a lightsaber slothfurnace,... several more builds MAY yield something half decent in fact so keep trying hard, :) :).... TOTALLY KIDDING. :D :D :D :D excellent , i would expect nothing less.

Offline SENATOR ORGANA

• Administrator
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 01:10:01 PM »
While the lightsaber is a work of art in itself, I have to say I really admire your sketches, Bradley.

A true artist is at work here.  :)
NEW FX-Sabers Website! at http://www.fx-sabers.com

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 06:09:30 AM »
this is one of the most awesome builds i've seen here so far...  :o :o :o so much love for details...  :) keep it up, man! this will turn out incredible, imo!  :)

Offline EyeoftheRaven

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 07:02:15 AM »
This is my favorite movie saber, so I'm already in heaven seeing a build from a quality maker like slothfurnace.  Add the reveal aspect?  I need this, lol:)

Offline Merana33

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 07:53:45 AM »
Good gods man your design sketches alone should be framed and hanging on a wall. And then you actually build the things you've drawn! :o
Your builds never cease to push the bar ever higher. At this rate I'm going to need two or three lifetimes to even think about approaching your level of skill. Bravo!

Your crystal chambers rank neck in neck with Yoda's, but while his have the sharp, crisp edges of laser cut acrylic yours have the warmth and curves of hand worked brass. Your chamber work is definitely one of the reasons I decided to try making one of my own.

I love the braiding to conceal the wires! The mesh texture fits so naturally and perfectly inside the chamber and offsets the smooth curves beautifully.

I've been struggling with how to handle routing wires through my own chamber and this may be the solution. Either the braiding or the micro conduit from your ANH Vader. Wherever did you find them?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:56:36 AM by Merana33 »
"Hey cool! It works! Now if I can just keep it from exploding..."

Build in progress:
MHS hilt
Igniter 1.1 board SN:101-001-00000003

Offline Free Thinker

• Force User
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 02:02:58 AM »
This is a great build-log! It really gives an insight into how much thought and work goes into making a custom saber. What really makes this so special though is that the saber itself is a real beauty. 8)

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Offline C-3P0

• Formerly known as Dave316
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 02:21:39 AM »
The build log is looking great! Those last set of pics of the chamber look incredible! :)

Offline slothfurnace

• Commando Jedi
  • Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
    • slothfurnace
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »
Thank you everyone!

Here I have started weathering the Russrep parts. Using Birchwood Casey chemicals for brass and steel, I did a first pass of oxidation on the grenade and brass windvane.

The un weathered front section of the windvane will get some blackening chemical in the little groove running around the middle of it. I still also need to weather and oxidise the emitter, but I ran out of the steel chemical doing the grenade. That will be next.

I need to finish the weathering on both sections before I finalize the wiring.

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 01:45:29 AM »
Looks like you've perfected he obi weathering nicely m8, your the king of Obi ANH's as far as I'm concerned and this build is showing your experience with the Russ conversions. It looks amazing and every time I look at it it makes me want to do a Russ Obi even more.

Shane

retrousse