fiduciary

Author Topic: Mongrel  (Read 17214 times)

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
Re: Mongrel
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 07:59:12 PM »
Nice job, it looks and sounds real good.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 09:38:12 AM »
Thanks.  I'm very happy with how LOUD it is!  The surface-mounted pot is right on the cusp of scratchy, so the resonance chamber really adds a lot of body to the overall sound...

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 09:46:28 AM »
Where can I find the steampunk soundfont?

Baking a saber in the oven after coating it in olive oil. HUH... :-\
You learn something new everyday.
Did you apply a sealant? 

Definitely an interesting way to color aluminum, very effective.

It's the same principal as a well used baking pan.  Over time the sugars in the olive oil caramelize and actually "stains" the pan because the oil has bonded to the metal somewhat.

8) cool saber you've got there!

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 12:47:04 AM »

Definitely an interesting way to color aluminum, very effective.

It's the same principal as a well used baking pan.  Over time the sugars in the olive oil caramelize and actually "stains" the pan because the oil has bonded to the metal somewhat.

8) cool saber you've got there!

Thanks.  And you're right on!  The individual pieces have to get cooked seperately - the smaller pieces absorb the heat more than the larger pieces -  and darkened the stained spots faster.  35 minutes was an average time.  So if you're going to try, here's how I did it:

Cook the largest piece until you get the right coloring - at least 20 minutes, the "caramelization" will hold after that.  "Shock" it immediately after you pull it out of the oven, as in, run it under cold water... it won't warp and the coloring will hold... repeat for the smaller pieces. 

I tried doing it with everything attached, but the same effect happens, it's just easier to match all the pieces if you do them all separately. 

Again, just technique - not procedure.  I encourage experimentation :)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 05:43:05 AM »
I have been wondering: if you use li-ion batteries that have internal pcb, can you run them in series? I thought the pcb might cut the current if the voltage exceeded the 4.25 max and thus not allow it unless it was designed for 8.4-7.2 volts... but I really don't know, and is seems to be working for you...

I have a saber that is almost overstuffed with 6AA nimh batteries in it and was looking for a way to use 2 18650s and thought I needed to find a pcb designed for end-to-end series, but could only find side-by-side

Thanks!

FYI-  Tim made me a 2x 18650 pack. The only downside it they go length wise to fit the MHS so it adds length to the saber.  The run over 5 inches long but what a pack.  He builds in the protection and adds a quick disconnect.  Great pack.

BTW nice looking saber you have there.  I guessed it was baked on as it looks like my cast iron frying pan when I recoat it in the oven.  :D  Very creative.  Looks awesome.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 09:39:33 AM »

FYI-  Tim made me a 2x 18650 pack. The only downside it they go length wise to fit the MHS so it adds length to the saber.  The run over 5 inches long but what a pack.  He builds in the protection and adds a quick disconnect.  Great pack.

BTW nice looking saber you have there.  I guessed it was baked on as it looks like my cast iron frying pan when I recoat it in the oven.  :D  Very creative.  Looks awesome.

Man, you guys are all about the compliments!  I love it, thank you so much :)

Yes, again, right on!  Li-Ion packs are nice in that sense. I'm pretty sure Tim uses Tenergy brand, these ultrafires have a non-stick coating on the positive pole, I had to sand it off... but otherwise a quick, smooth hand with a soldering iron, a little heat shrink -bizzidy-BAM! 

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/MONGREL/DSC03219.jpg

And I like to cook... so first ideas stem from the kitchen...

;)

Offline XsaberX

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »

Yes, again, right on!  Li-Ion packs are nice in that sense. I'm pretty sure Tim uses Tenergy brand, these ultrafires have a non-stick coating on the positive pole, I had to sand it off... but otherwise a quick, smooth hand with a soldering iron, a little heat shrink -bizzidy-BAM! 

So I've been reading about li-ion batteries and apparently if you combine two protected batteries in series they will work but the pcb won't function... I'm not really worried about the memory effect as much as I am about the rumored explosive possibilities without the pcb (especially under high impact situations, e.g. dueling) - I'm assuming you've never had your cells explode =)

I have 4 tenergy 18650 2600 pcb cells already, so I could build a pack, but li-ion cell builders tend to recommend that one use unprotected cells in series and then to add a pcb that is correct for the final voltage output

thanks for the recommendation! maybe I'll contact tim

my saber already has 4AAs in it, which is even longer, and the hilt is pretty small (10.5" total with a little over 6" to actually work in). So, I'd actually be getting a little more space with the long 18650 pack.

the saber I'm talking about is here:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=12727.0

thanks for the help, both of you!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:59:56 AM by XsaberX »

Offline XsaberX

• Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 11:01:49 AM »
eastern57 - I was looking in your photobucket album and was wondering what the gold ring piece (right before the blade holder) on your MHS 3 is?

by the way, I really like the MHS 3, potentially my favorite MHS hilt design I've seen thus far
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:04:06 AM by XsaberX »

Offline Guskenobi

• Force User
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 11:14:01 AM »
is the baked olive oil tacky or sticky in anyway? do you think it would like wear off with use?

i really like the almost randomness created by that plus its a really cool color

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 02:38:21 PM »
I'm assuming you've never had your cells explode =)

You assume correctly, but I've also never dueled with it... so I cannot speak for it's durability.  I really like your saber, that was the one with the bass-ackwards cf issue, right?  I assume you got it resolved =)

eastern57 - I was looking in your photobucket album and was wondering what the gold ring piece (right before the blade holder) on your MHS 3 is?

by the way, I really like the MHS 3, potentially my favorite MHS hilt design I've seen thus far

Thanks again!  It's a "brass colored" ring from an MR Mace.  There's 2, this is the smaller one.  It's situated over an o-ring between the BH and hilt, held in place with pressure.  It's held fairly tightly, but again, I don't duel.  I'm getting custom BH for it, so stay tuned!   
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn260/eastern57/MHS%20hilt%203/lowbat.jpg

is the baked olive oil tacky or sticky in anyway? do you think it would like wear off with use?

i really like the almost randomness created by that plus its a really cool color

Actually, it has been wearing off a tiny bit, just from me handling it a lot.  Naturally it's wearing off in specific places - where my hands go.  Once I start to see different lines, I'll seal it.  But otherwise, it's not sticky, tacky, smelly, gooey, oily, flaky...etc...

And thanks for the compliments :)

Offline XsaberX

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »

You assume correctly, but I've also never dueled with it... so I cannot speak for it's durability.  I really like your saber, that was the one with the bass-ackwards cf issue, right?  I assume you got it resolved =)

I did get it resolved. Erv' is great as far as being there for those who use his electronics. Really nice, and really there. He fixed the board the same day he got it. Shipped it back the next day.

I don't duel that much, but don't want the saber to potentially fly out of my hand and explode in my home, hurt someone, or even worse, damage my prescious CF4 :p

I really wonder about this whole li-ion batteries are unstable business. Does it really apply to electronics that pull under 8 volts max? I have no idea... I guess I should follow the rules, unless I obtain a greater understanding of exactly what is in play and see things differently.

I like my saber too =)

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »
unprotected li-ions are bad

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2008, 12:49:38 AM »

I did get it resolved. Erv' is great as far as being there for those who use his electronics. Really nice, and really there. He fixed the board the same day he got it. Shipped it back the next day.

I really wonder about this whole li-ion batteries are unstable business. Does it really apply to electronics that pull under 8 volts max? I have no idea... I guess I should follow the rules, unless I obtain a greater understanding of exactly what is in play and see things differently.

You too, eh? :)  He's repaired two for me and talked me through a third.  He certainly is a fine gentleman. 

I admit, I take a considerable amout more caution when dealing with Li-Ions - even the protected ones.  But too much fear would prevent you from taking advantage of developing, and advancing tech... that's where learning more comes into play.  I've taken some blind dives in my trials - and inevitable errors :( - I guess it's just part of the process...

;)

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 10:04:38 AM »
The ultrafires rock.  Best battery pack IMO.  The 18650's will be the same but pack a bigger punch. 

Always use protection.  On that note though there have been backyard tests on the ultrafires using backwards polarity, over charging to insane levels etc with no adverse effects.  Now I don't recommend this but it goes to show you if used properly they will be safe.

My 18650 pack should net almost 3 hours of overdriving a lux v.  ;)

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User

retrousse