fiduciary

Author Topic: LEDEngin or Rebel Star? Need a quick opinion for a build.  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
LEDEngin or Rebel Star? Need a quick opinion for a build.
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:41:40 PM »
Hey friends! I'm looking for a few opinions. I should hopefully be working on a new saber for a friend of mine within a few months. He wants a green blade for it and I'm not sure which LED to go with for best brightness. It's going to have a Nano Biscotti soundcard so it will be powered by a single 3.7 V Li-Ion cell and driven at 1 Amp. Also, if it helps, we are using a VV transwhite dual diffused blade. Which do you think would be brighter: a green Luxeon Rebel Star or a LEDEngine with two green dice hooked up in parallel? Thanks one and all!

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: LEDEngin or Rebel Star? Need a quick opinion for a build.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:11:01 PM »
If you only plan to use two of the dice on the ledengin,  I'd skip the extra cost and go with the green Rebel or a Seoul P4 green instead.

Offline Solan Starr

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 11:19:35 PM »
I have a Green 5W LEDengin single die LED in a saber and absolutely love the color of it.  It's in a transwhite blade with 5 feet of wrap and I couldn't be happier with it.  Food for thought.

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:34:28 AM »
Yeah, if using the Nano with only a 3.7v, definitely don't use the LEDengin. The greens will want right at the battery voltage to run well, and with what the board needs for the speaker etc, you won't get optimum brightness out of it.

Go with a Tri-Rebel GGG if you want the MOST brightness, all run in parallel that's 3A but I think the Nano will be limited to 2A which will still be brighter on those three dice than any other LED. That said, if you want 'good enough' and bright, go with a single 'highest lumen' Rebel green or a Seoul P4.

retrousse