fiduciary

Author Topic: Calvary Custom Sabers Build Thread for "Thunderbolt"  (Read 3096 times)

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
Calvary Custom Sabers Build Thread for "Thunderbolt"
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:02:31 PM »
This build is for a Client who contacted me over email. It is a lower end build, because a low price was the main objective. The hilt consists of TCSS and Sinktube.

The Stck MHS parts

I cut the tube, and forgot the change blades... hence the mess of brass still on the tube.

Deburred and test fit. Do not pay attention to the mace conversion BH... that isn't important. ;)

Drilling the screws to hold the MHS pieces in place. I have found it quicker to measure and drill my own screw holes... rather than try to align the ones that come with the piece.

Simply tapping one of the holes. The lines used to make sure everything is straight will come off when I polish the tube.

The lines for the grip marked and ready to be scored.

Lines are scored in the sinktube, the pipe cutter didn't line up every time... but It looks good to the client, so the lines are staying the way they are.
The top piece is to see what the MHS pieces look like before polishing...

The Fluted section sanded and lathered up with polish...

Polished and installed. It matches the sink tube perfectly.

Pic of the hilt as it is now.

For the electronics, it is going to be a stunt setup. Meaning no sound. in addition, there won't be a recharge funtion... so here is how I am going to secure the pack so it doesn't rattle.

This is a piece of 1" PVC that has electrical tape wrapped around it to fill the space.
The battery pack has a washer that is glued the bottom of said holder....

simply insert the pack in to the pvc...

and then the PVC into the tube....

Viola, anti-rattle battery pack on a budget. :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:11:34 PM by Sollus Vir »

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: Calvary Custom Sabers Build Thread for "Thunderbolt"
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 11:09:50 PM »
A suggestion on doing the scoring lines,  if I may....buy an extra 4-6 inch MHS extension to have on hand and insert it into the sinktube when you're making the scoring lines.  It helps prevent your cutting wheel from crushing in the tube and walking off center.  You also won't have to tighten the cutter as much.  Another suggestion:  4-AA battery holders are a perfect fit in a 1 1/2" sinktube without rattling.

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »
Thanks for those most excellent suggestions! I will definitely have to grab an extra extension in my next order.

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 12:27:12 PM »
I was able to finish the saber up last night, so here are the rest of the build pics... The wiring is really simple, but I figured I would show you how i solder my stuff together...

Tinned the switch lead and wire.

Soldered. the key to getting good joints like this is a hot iron, and fresh solder on the tip.

Heatshrunk.

Switch installed and bolted into the hilt. I didn't want to force fit this one because of the amount of dueling this one will face, and the thinness of the metal holding the switch in place.

Tada... Centered with the tube and the flutes, looks quite nice actually.

Next thing I did was attach the grips to the Pommel end of the saber.There are eight grip pieces in all, and are for the TCSS grip material.

Resistor soldered and insulated.

I forgot to take pics of the LED assembly, because I wanted to finish it and move on to another project I have... So, here is a pic of the finished product...

Hope you enjoyed it!

Offline Artorius Vidnyl

• Force User
  • Suns of the Force
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 12:35:59 PM »
Thank you for posting pictures!  This is info that will help me in my current project!

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality."
―Qui-Gon

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 01:21:51 PM »
Hey Folks,

This saber was commissioned via email for a birthday gift. I was not given a design, and came with one based off the request it be "Sleek, Agile, and strong". A Blue LED was also specified. A strict budget was important in this build as well, so to the drawing board I went.
So after a few days we settled on this design. (render courtesy of Rafelma Rendering services)

This build was one of the easier builds for CCS, because of the minimal shroud work and the stunt saber electronics. However, just because a saber is simple, doesn't mean it should lack in quality. This saber is constructed using 100% TCSS MHS parts, Sinktube, and grip material. A polishing service was also added by myself for no extra fee because I am rather partial to this  design. ;)

So, Official Specs.
Hilt;
- 100% TCSS MHS parts
- 1.5" Chrome sinktube
- TCSS grip material
- Pipe cutter grips
- CCS Polishing service

Electronics;
- 4aaa Alkaline Battery pack
- Latching Guarded switch
- 2.2ohm 5 watt resistor
- Seoul P4 Blue with 10 degree lens running at 1000ma-1200ma

Video;

And Glam pics;

That's it guys, if you have any questions just let me know.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:35:18 PM by Sollus Vir »

Offline DarthCaedus

• Formerly known as initiatedark
  • Experienced Force User
  • those darn walking carpets....
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 04:07:39 PM »
wow  :o that looks awesome! i especially love the pommel area!

Hang on to your hate. It will help you endure. I couldn't hate, and it nearly destroyed me

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 07:15:08 PM »
Love the design, but why put speaker holes when tey aren't necessary?  They look good, just curious

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 07:18:25 PM »
Maybe its a secret compartment for parmesan cheese?

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »
Love the design, but why put speaker holes when tey aren't necessary?  They look good, just curious

Aren't necessary NOW, who's to say the customer won't want sound in the future?

Or what LUMINARA said.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:25:14 PM by Drazhar »

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »
Love the design, but why put speaker holes when tey aren't necessary?  They look good, just curious

Its a sinktube drain.  It comes with the piece.  Why fabricate something new when it is already there?

Facebook: VVFB

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Board Moderator
  • Master Force User
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »

Its a sinktube drain.  It comes with the piece.  Why fabricate something new when it is already there?

This is exactly why. easy.

Draz was onto the other idea. They said the might want to add sound in the future...

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 08:30:29 PM »
turned out really nice... I like how the shroud reveals a bit of the fluted section on the hilt.

Great job SV :)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
Topics merged...no need to clutter up the Mining Colony with multiple topics about the same saber.

Nice work Sollus,  I'm sure the owner will be very happy with that saber.

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 09:47:08 PM »
I still think it was a secret container for parmesan cheese. Imagine it. A saber that can be used for fighting and making things taste good!

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

retrousse