fiduciary

Author Topic: FX-SABERS Forum updates matinence down issues etc...  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
FX-SABERS Forum updates matinence down issues etc...
« on: December 16, 2020, 03:18:40 PM »
Hello everyone

As many of you many have noticed the site and forum was down for a while but is back once again.

I wanted to thank our Darth Vader  :vader: for once again defeating the scum and villainy that cause these
issues and again has restored peace and justice to the galaxy

MTFBWY
always
YODA
 :yoda:

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Turtle Shell Productions
Re: FX-SABERS Forum updates matinence down issues etc...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 03:59:39 PM »
Excuse the retro look...

The errors that caused the site to lag, hang and then crash required a complete reload of the display files.

I am in the process of rebuilding the display

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 05:42:10 PM »
.... AAAAAND We're back with the custom saber theme

It will take some time over the next day or two while I reactivate various pieces of functionality (have to do some testing after each activation so we don't have another server overload like happened today) but the majority of the functionality should be back online shortly.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 09:01:48 AM »
You want us to point out bugs that we see, or just hold off until you finish sweeping up?

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 11:47:30 AM »
go ahead and flag issues that you see, so I can deal with them.   The rest of my time is going to be spent rebuilding some of the functionality that got dropped (knowledgebase and glossary for 2 things)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 12:35:53 PM »
I'm seeing some weird symbols in the middle of words here and there on the forum, usually where there should be punctuation, like an apostrophe or quotes.

Like this:
A “burrito”, “taco” or anything
Is this on my end or the forum?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:40:59 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 12:56:01 PM »
eh, crap.... it's a utf8 thing...   thanks for letting me know. I'll track it down.

should be fixed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:03:07 PM by DARTH VADER »

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 05:36:09 PM »
Two things I've seen:

- Can only view first page of any forum.  Viewing a forum, e.g. Forum Gallery or LED Sabers, only shows page one.  Where you should see page listing (top and bottom corners) shows "[1]..." clicking on the ellipses makes them disappear; no other pages are viewable.

- Clicking on a "view new post" i.e. colored circles or black circles with colored ring next to forum titles, and orange "New" boxes for sub-forums does not show new/unread posts.  Takes you to a blank page with "No unread topics found since your last visit. Click here to try all unread topics."  Subsequently clicking the "Click here..." text will bring you to the unread topics page.

Edit: One more - Staff forum names are no longer being displayed with colored text, e.g. Green=admin, orange=mod, etc...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 05:41:52 PM by eastern57 »

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 06:48:00 AM »
- Can only view first page of any forum.  Viewing a forum, e.g. Forum Gallery or LED Sabers, only shows page one.  Where you should see page listing (top and bottom corners) shows "[1]..." clicking on the ellipses makes them disappear; no other pages are viewable.

fixed. -re-added the dropdown page select

- Clicking on a "view new post" i.e. colored circles or black circles with colored ring next to forum titles, and orange "New" boxes for sub-forums does not show new/unread posts.  Takes you to a blank page with "No unread topics found since your last visit. Click here to try all unread topics."  Subsequently clicking the "Click here..." text will bring you to the unread topics page.

This one appears to be working correctly.  The color/grey icons indicate new/unread posts in the board. However, the logic of clicking it only displays threads with new posts -- since your last visit --. The "click here to read all unread then goes to ignore the "since last visit" and shows everything unread.

Edit: One more - Staff forum names are no longer being displayed with colored text, e.g. Green=admin, orange=mod, etc...

Fixed.

thanks!

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 04:56:19 PM »

fixed. -re-added the dropdown page select

Thank you!  Sorry to nit pick, but there's another thing that's missing.  The "Quick link" or "Jump to page" links next to the drop-down menu are absent.  This is the numbering that allowed you to jump to one of the subsequent pages without using the drop-down.  It was directly next to the drop-down widget, at the top, bottom, and on individual, multi-page thread titles.  It listed the first few pages and also the total number of pages in the forum or thread, E.g. "[1] 2 3 4 5 ... 13"  Currently, the "[1]..." is an artifact from this.

Also, previously embedded youtube videos are not functional or linked.  The link and the youtube embed tags are still present, but not hyperlinked.
E.g.

Regular links and/or url tags are still functional, just not the embedded YT videos.

Edit: on a posting screen, the youtube hot button (to set up the YT tags) is gone.  So YT links and the [youtube] tags are no longer recognized.

Thank you again, and sorry to be a pest. :sad:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 05:00:39 PM by eastern57 »

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 04:07:04 PM »
The mod which did the navigation was updated by the author.it no longer displays both the drop down AND links. The number to the right just displays the page you are currently on.

I will reinstall YouTube links on Monday.  The tags should reactivate then.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 04:51:44 PM »
Thank you, sir!  Merpy Holimas! :azn:

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 06:40:12 PM »
Eastern has to be a dev or qa professional!

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 10:48:43 AM »
YouTube embeds and links are fixed (and enhanced) :)

Contents of Knowledge base were consolidated into FAQ instead.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 11:39:10 AM by DARTH VADER »

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 05:58:05 AM »
Upon signing in, I was immediately redirected to the Rules & Regulations thread.  I tried it 3 separate times, from different location, same result.  Possible bug or deliberate change?

retrousse