fiduciary

Author Topic: Luke ROTJ Comes to Canada  (Read 4538 times)

Offline RyecatcheR

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Luke ROTJ Comes to Canada
« on: October 09, 2005, 11:43:22 PM »
Well, I've been steadily catching up on my FX Saber info these past several weeks, mainly by reading these forums, and patiently awaited some reviews on the new Luke ROTJ before diving in on my first purchase.  In Canada, the only retailers I've seen carrying the FX are Futureshop and Toys 'r' Us, and I've seen NOTHING in stock save one Vader ESB that was a display model.  No thanks.  I was debating what seemed like forever on whether I should wait and just buy an Anakin when I found one locally, or get one through less direct channels.  When I read that Borders was going to be carrying the green Luke, I was more than a little curious about trying to get one.  I love the green saber, and I knew that not many Canadians would get one since Borders has not yet been allowed to open in Canada (we have rather bizarre 'Canadian content' laws that extend to book sellers being forced to push Canadian product, and Borders is seen as a threat to chains like Chapters in Canada).  I was still not sure whether I would prefer the Anakin or the Luke since I love both designs, and even prefer the Anakin graflex hilt, but xxx did I love the idea of getting something NOT AVAILABLE IN CANADA!

So, living in Vancouver, BC, I called the nearest borders in Lynnwood WA, no small trip.  The first time, the sabers weren't in stock and they wouldn't hold them until they physically had them.  I called on October 7 and hey hey, they were now in stock and yes they would hold one for three days.  Done.

The next day, I hopped in the truck and headed to the border (the coincidence that I was going to Borders bookstore is not lost on me).  I Had to wait around 40 minutes at the border to get across.  Traffic was a mess.

After about 2.5 hours, I arrived at the store, and there was my saber right behind the counter.  Coupon and batteries in hand, I paid for it and explained to the cashier that I was gonna fire it up right then and there, just to be sure it worked as I didn't want to drive 2.5 more hours only to find out I got a $101 U.S. paperweight.  VRROOM, tada, it was perfect, no visible flaws.  People were gawking immediately, and one little old woman asked if that was the thing they had on that t.v. show Big Brother, heheh.  I was told by the manager nearby that the store received 12 on their first shipment, and mine was one of two left.  This was the day after they began selling them.

Saber in hand, I then went to the nearest Jack In The Box (another thing not in Canada), and stuffed myself with a Ciabatta Bacon Cheeseburger.  Burp.  My American experience was complete, heheh.  Of course, there was the small issue of paying duty on the thing, but I elected to lie to the customs official and say I had no merchandise.  He bought it, which saved me about $20 Canadian.  Also, did I mention that FX Sabers in Canada cost from $149.99 to $159.99 Canadian?  That means I actually SAVED money on the Luke ROTJ, if you don't count the gasoline. :-\

Since I can't compare the Luke ROTJ to any other sabers as it is my first and only, I can only say that I am thrilled with my purchase.  The sounds are loud (not film perfect though, which I can tell even without seeing or hearing an Anakin ROTS) and the blade is brilliant with Duracell Ultras.  I concur with others that the hilt lacks film accuracy, but it's obvious why.  And it IS sharp around the grooves, I noticed, so be careful.  I'd say my only real complaint other than the sound being unfaithful is the orage paint on the hilt, which should be less garish in hue as the real hilt is not this colour at all.  Nonetheless, firing this saber up and swinging it around is the near-fulfillment of a lifelong childhood dream to own a frikkin' lazer sword!  My girlfriend, who thinks this 31 year old professional is a tool for wanting this thing, is beginning to understand now that she's held this sweet baby.

Overall, I drove almost 400 kms, and spent around $30 Canadian in gasoline, but I'm guessing I'm one of a handful of Canucks who have a Luke ROTJ in their possession  ;D.  I might get the Anakin or Vader when a Canadian store finally gets them in again, but that likely won't be until ROTS is released on DVD, from what I've gathered.

Take off, you hosers.

RyecatcheR

Offline Wat-Gav Martra

• Jedi Master
  • Master Force User
  • Formally known as Scottish Jedi
Re: Luke ROTJ Comes to Canada
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 01:12:12 AM »
Wow crossing a border to get a saber now thats commitment. That must be the longest first post Ive ever read, but it was a good read  ;D. Hope you enjoy being a member of FX-Sabers.com, if you need to ask a question look for BigDog, Meridian, Bandit-Jedi, psykE or Me.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 08:25:32 AM by Darth Vader »
Luke ROTJ FX Lightsaber: £89.99
Star Wars OT Boxset: £29.99
Fighting for the Light Side: Priceless
(Borrowed(Stole) this idea from Dark Skywalker)

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 05:40:09 AM »
congratulations on getting your first fx.  youve taken your first step into a larger universe (i think that is correctly quoted but i maybe wrong).

dont worry about the age thing either my friend.  there are loads of us older jedi here.  i dont care what people say your right, its a life long ambition to hold and have something so good, that was such an unobtainable part of your youth.  there are only a few folk who, having seen star wars would not feel slightly impressed by the sight and sound of these FX's

Offline Pfc Joker

• Force User
    • Tiny Puppy
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 08:43:13 AM »
Great post.  Grats on the new saber.
I feel ya on the drive, it's 218 miles round trip to my closest Borders and takes 2 hours each way.
Like Jack3auer said, don't sweet the age thing.  These forums are great because the members here range in age from like 13 to 36.  ;D
"Well, if there's a bright center in the universe, you're on the planet it's farthest from."

Offline Master Elwan

• No Force
  • "There's always a bigger fish."
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 12:57:01 PM »
In my experience I've always been met with laughs and scepticism whenever I bring up FX Sabers to anyone I know. But as soon as I show them... well.. let's just say the laughs are replaced with.. "WOW!"

They all come around in the end.
FX Saber Collection:
2005 Anakin ROTS
2005 Vader ESB
2005 Luke ROTJ
2005 Mace ROTS

Offline skizzoid

• Formerly known as skizzoid
  • Master Force User
  • At last, we shall reveal ourselves to the Jedi...
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 09:29:25 PM »
That's some serious dedication right there...  An excellent first post, though something about a Ciabatta Bacon Cheeseburger just doesn't strike me as "American."  Anyways, congratulations on the acquisition of your new lightsaber.
Master Replicas Force FX Collection:
2004 Mace AOTC
2004 Luke ESB (in pieces)
2004 Luke ESB
2005 Luke ROTJ
2005 Mace ROTS

Offline Wat-Gav Martra

• Jedi Master
  • Master Force User
  • Formally known as Scottish Jedi
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 09:38:37 PM »
In my experience I've always been met with laughs and scepticism whenever I bring up FX Sabers to anyone I know. But as soon as I show them... well.. let's just say the laughs are replaced with.. "WOW!"

They all come around in the end.

Well i still get made fun off even after showing my friends, they where impressed when i showed them but then i told them how much they cost and they laughed at me again  :P.
Luke ROTJ FX Lightsaber: £89.99
Star Wars OT Boxset: £29.99
Fighting for the Light Side: Priceless
(Borrowed(Stole) this idea from Dark Skywalker)

Offline Gnosis

• Formerly known as Gnosis
  • Master Force User
  • The Bird King of La Mancha
    • This week in geek
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 09:41:33 PM »
You lucky SOB!

I will be the second Canadian with a Luke when Killertoys ships mine!

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force... but by our skills with a lightsaber. "
Count Dooku

Sith Lord Adminstrator
countdooku@fx-sabers.com

Offline Flok

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 11:11:52 PM »
Hi

I'm live in BC as well.  If you go online at futureshop, you can order the Anakin and Vader (free shipping).  Got mine both online and the boxes come sealed in the MR packaging.  I agree, I would not buy them from the Futureshop store, most of the boxes look opened, so it wouldn't surprise me that the staff have been playing around with them  >:(

Lucky find on the green one, wish I had one  :-[

But don't think I can make it to the states.....well done dude.  I'm also in my 30's.

Offline trexy

• General of the Old Republic
  • Master Force User
  • At last we will have revenge!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 01:20:00 AM »
If the MR packaging box is OPEN , it doesnt mean they have been playing with it,
They just want to check if the saber  works fine,

Unless if you got ur fx with scratches, then yes they have been playing around with it

Offline RyecatcheR

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »
OK, so I'm definitely addicted.  I gave in and purchased my second saber, the Vader ESB.  Futureshop and Best Buy in Canada are selling them with the DVD release of ROTS.  I love the blue of the Anakin, but I think I'm going to devote myself at some point to hunting down a Luke ESB as my first blue saber.  And since I already have the Luke ROTJ with sounds that seem to replicate the Anakin, I went with the Vader, because I love that deep, rumbling idle hum.  In fact, I prefer the Vader sounds by far, although the swing sensitivity is a little off as some others have stated here.  The red isn't as immediately striking as the blue or green sabers, but I don't care because it isn't in the films either.  But the power up, down, and idle hum sounds fantastic and movie perfect, unlike the Luke ROTJ.

Maybe Psyke could sell me his Luke ESB now that he's got it, heheh.

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 09:03:35 AM »
Good Luck with your hunt for the Luke TESB, I know you won't be dissapointed when you get it.

and good luck with your addiction....we all have our vices and its okay if ours is FFX sabers!

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline psykE

• Formerly known as psykE
  • Master Force User
  • Join the DARK side
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 11:37:07 PM »
OK, so I'm definitely addicted.  I gave in and purchased my second saber, the Vader ESB.  Futureshop and Best Buy in Canada are selling them with the DVD release of ROTS.  I love the blue of the Anakin, but I think I'm going to devote myself at some point to hunting down a Luke ESB as my first blue saber.  And since I already have the Luke ROTJ with sounds that seem to replicate the Anakin, I went with the Vader, because I love that deep, rumbling idle hum.  In fact, I prefer the Vader sounds by far, although the swing sensitivity is a little off as some others have stated here.  The red isn't as immediately striking as the blue or green sabers, but I don't care because it isn't in the films either.  But the power up, down, and idle hum sounds fantastic and movie perfect, unlike the Luke ROTJ.

Maybe Psyke could sell me his Luke ESB now that he's got it, heheh.
Never! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Fx Saber Collection:

Offline toos

• Master Force User
  • That's Treason!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 04:53:37 PM »
WOW! GREAT STORY MY FRIEND! I'M GETTING MY ANAKIN ROTS ON THE 16TH OF DECEMBER. I MUST TELL YOU, PETE'S COMICS IN LONSDALE SELLS THE ANAKIN FX'S! ANS SO DOES BEST BUY! GOOD LUCK!

Just a simple man trying to make his way in the universe

retrousse